IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 07:53 PM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Regarding the 350 versus 300 video. I am pretty sure that both cars could have been faster. I made a video where I managed 6.3 with my own IS 300 AWD (and yes I realize how crappy a video it is , but nonetheless): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLNi-CShxHQ.

I have seen videos online of comparable RC 350 AWD and GS 350 AWD getting under 6 seconds. I'm sure you'd feel the difference at higher speeds, where the higher horsepower in the higher RPM band would come into play more. From a launch, it makes sense that there's not a huge difference.
The point of the video was not to showcase "low" numbers. The only purpose of the numbers were to compare the two models against one another in a "apples to apples" scenario. It doesn't matter if the 0-60 was 5 sec. or 6 sec. the only thing that's important is the difference in time between the two models. Remember the magazine reviewers deduct .3 seconds for rollout off their tested times. If I would have done that the IS350 would have been stated as a 5.8 or 5.9, which is closer to the stated time from Lexus.

With that said, I don't disagree with your statement at higher speeds. I wish that I had a safe place to do a 0-120 mph comparison. I am speculating that my IS300 will do 0-120 in about 24-25 sec. I am curious how much faster the IS350 would be? Someone should definitely take the lead on making that video.

If the 0-120 time difference is significant, I may consider doing the RR Racing tune. However, I still don't believe the benefits would be noticeable inside the parameters of daily driving.
Old 09-27-19, 07:55 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, interesting thread. I am still trying to find the
sweet spot with my 2017 IS300 Fsport. No regrets, but the
Sport mode is not great for the on ramp merge.
Lots of revs, but not enough power. Also my first disappointment
was driving into my garage when bringing it home.
The small lip between the driveway and garage floor required
more gas than I was used to. Also in local traffic l need to
push the gas to get uphill. But still the hottest looks on the road.

Similar to other posts.....I was fueling and someone in the next
bay asked “Do you race that””?” “Uhm, no, it’s rather slow”
The following users liked this post:
Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 07:58 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Settle4
The point of the video was not to showcase "low" numbers. The only purpose of the numbers were to compare the two models against one another in a "apples to apples" scenario. It doesn't matter if the 0-60 was 5 sec. or 6 sec. the only thing that's important is the difference in time between the two models. Remember the magazine reviewers deduct .3 seconds for rollout off their tested times. If I would have done that the IS350 would have been stated as a 5.8 or 5.9, which is closer to the stated time from Lexus.

With that said, I don't disagree with your statement at higher speeds. I wish that I had a safe place to do a 0-120 mph comparison. I am speculating that my IS300 will do 0-120 in about 24-25 sec. I am curious how much faster the IS350 would be? Someone should definitely take the lead on making that video.

If the 0-120 time difference is significant, I may consider doing the RR Racing tune. However, I still don't believe the benefits would be noticeable inside the parameters of daily driving.
You wont really notice the difference from what I've read. The only thing you'll be doing is voiding your warranty, and that is probably something you don't want to do over something which will give you a barely noticeable difference.
Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 08:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Repair costs on Tesla's are not cheap, and wait time for parts if you need body work done is ridiculously long from what I've heard. The 4 cylinder in the 330i is by far superior than the one made by Lexus, don't let the Lexus motor fool you into thinking a 4 banger doesn't have power because you'll be in for a surprise... trust me. As far as the M340i being your minimum, a well optioned one will run you around 65k or so, so if you want to spend that then go for it (probably 10-15k more than your Model 3). For me, I considered it but realized I have no need for 390hp nor do I drive much or want to spend that type of money since I barely drive anyways. My 330i is an M-Sport, but if the 330i didn't have the M package, I would've had to get the M340i since the baseline 330i doesn't look appealing to me.

2 months in and the car is still in break-in period lol. I'm at 650 miles still.
I agree that it's a little overpriced. Very expensive since am you could probably get a slightly used GSF for bear that price. The Model 3 Performance was about $55k with incentives so a nice deal for me. We just have different criteria on our cars. I value speed over luxury. I test drove the 330 and 340 and wanted something faster than my IS350. The Model 3s extremely low cost of ownership was the trait that was missing in all the other luxury cars.
Old 09-27-19, 11:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

The point of the video was not to showcase "low" numbers.
Neither was mine... I had over half a tank of fuel and didn't use optimal ways of launching and still got better numbers... That was my point. I think the 350 was being sandbagged by something. 300? Not so much - 0.1 seconds difference isn't significant.
Old 09-28-19, 05:48 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Neither was mine... I had over half a tank of fuel and didn't use optimal ways of launching and still got better numbers... That was my point. I think the 350 was being sandbagged by something. 300? Not so much - 0.1 seconds difference isn't significant.
Sandbagged by what? Your argument makes no sense. The numbers are perfectly in line with several YouTube reviewer's tested numbers. Why are you getting hung up on the numbers? Would it make any difference if the 350 was 5.1 & the 300 5.3 seconds?

The specs of the two cars:
2016 Lexus IS350 AWD with 40k miles (non-Fsport)
2016 Lexus IS300 AWD with 40k miles (nkn-Fsport)

Both cars had similar levels of gas, the runs we're taken on the same stretch of road, done on the same day within 20 minutes of one another, and by the same driver. Also, both cars we're in sport mode, with traction control off, and in auto. Honestly, I took as many variables out of the test as possible. I am not sure what else I could have done to make the test parameters better.

Watch the TFL reviews and you will see that hieght above sea-level will impact 0-60 times. Also, look at the RR Racing tuning page which shows the stock dyno runs for both the 300 & 350. RR Racing shows that the numbers for the 300 are understated from the factory and there is only about a 20 rwhp difference between the two models. If that's true, that seems to be supported by the run results in my video.

Edit: I just rewatched your video. It was 50° F in your video. In mine, it was 83° F. The 30° F difference in air temperature is significant. Your car would have been producing more power at that temp which would result in better run times by a few tenths of a second. I believe the math is like a 1.11% change in hp per 10° F. That means a 30° F difference would result in a 3.33% increase in hp, approx. 8.5 -10 hp. If there is only a 24 hp difference between the 350 & 300, then an increase of 10 hp should produce times very similar to a stock 350 in conditions that are 30° F warmer.

Last edited by Settle4; 09-28-19 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 11:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Sandbagged by what? Your argument makes no sense. The numbers are perfectly in line with several YouTube reviewer's tested numbers. Why are you getting hung up on the numbers? Would it make any difference if the 350 was 5.1 & the 300 5.3 seconds?

The specs of the two cars:
2016 Lexus IS350 AWD with 40k miles (non-Fsport)
2016 Lexus IS300 AWD with 40k miles (nkn-Fsport)

Both cars had similar levels of gas, the runs we're taken on the same stretch of road, done on the same day within 20 minutes of one another, and by the same driver. Also, both cars we're in sport mode, with traction control off, and in auto. Honestly, I took as many variables out of the test as possible. I am not sure what else I could have done to make the test parameters better.

Watch the TFL reviews and you will see that hieght above sea-level will impact 0-60 times. Also, look at the RR Racing tuning page which shows the stock dyno runs for both the 300 & 350. RR Racing shows that the numbers for the 300 are understated from the factory and there is only about a 20 rwhp difference between the two models. If that's true, that seems to be supported by the run results in my video.

Edit: I just rewatched your video. It was 50° F in your video. In mine, it was 83° F. The 30° F difference in air temperature is significant. Your car would have been producing more power at that temp which would result in better run times by a few tenths of a second. I believe the math is like a 1.11% change in hp per 10° F. That means a 30° F difference would result in a 3.33% increase in hp, approx. 8.5 -10 hp. If there is only a 24 hp difference between the 350 & 300, then an increase of 10 hp should produce times very similar to a stock 350 in conditions that are 30° F warmer.
The two cars have been dyno'd, and the 350 definitely makes more power. Go look at RR Racing's thread on their tune. Most of the power difference is up at the top of the rev range. Still, you have to forgive me for refusing to accept that a car with about 50 more horsepower has the same 0-60.

And maybe I am getting hung-up a little on the numbers... Because it also depends on how you measure 0 to 60 times. In the video I've linked below, there are two times listed: 6.381 seconds, and 5.839 seconds. The first time is the time from when the driver presses the pedal to 100 km/h. The second time is with one foot of roll-out, as most car magazines measure the numbers.

spreadsheet confirming this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1663057768

So, in conclusion, yes, I was completely wrong, and the 0-60 times of the IS 350 and 300 AWD are not significantly different. Hooray.

So I guess my "regret" from above is actually unfounded, and the 300 AWD really is a "discount 350" as I have sometimes said. You get the same engine and overall similar performance.

Last edited by arentz07; 09-28-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 04:28 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

We have discussed the 300 and 350 difference a number of times :-).
My take (I’m not a gear head) is that the extra hp of the 350 only kicks
in above 4K rpms. So if you are in automatic, not much difference, as it
won’t stay there long.

Let’s lighten this thread up. Somebody likes our car:

Settle4 (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 05:17 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounds like you didn't do your home work first.
Settle4 (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 06:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It's not a fast car. It's a well balanced sporty sedan. Accept it for what it is. The faster cars really start at $55k and up unless you get the G70. At least that car puts up a respectable mid 4s time in the 60.
Settle4 (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 06:25 PM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfvss
Sounds like you didn't do your home work first.
In some ways, yes, in other ways no. I spent a little over 2 months shopping for a car. The car that I fell in love with was a 2016 Audi A6 Prestige S-line. Honestly, it stole my heart, but the ownership cost and the questionable long term reliability kept me from purchasing the Audi. I shopped the GS350 and several other vehicles before purchasing my IS. I drive about 35k miles a year so long term ownership was very important.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I did overlook some features that I just assumed it would have. Yes, I realize now the luxury package would have given me the memory seats. I was dumb to assume it would be included on a Lexus with the premium package.. lol.

What it boils down to, I have replayed the decision over-and-over and have concluded that I would have arrived at the same decision if I had to make it again. (Except I would have gotten the 350 & the luxury package) However, those two elements, or the fact that I would make the same decision again, doesn't help me LOVE the car anymore. It was the smart decision but I am having such a hard time being happy with the car.

At the end of the day, I need to just own that I am a conservative guy who doesn't like to take risks regarding reliability. I am just but hurt that I can't choose reliability and still enjoy the luxury and driving experience that I found in the Audi.
Old 09-29-19, 11:01 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not a fast car. It's a well balanced sporty sedan. Accept it for what it is. The faster cars really start at $55k and up unless you get the G70. At least that car puts up a respectable mid 4s time in the 60.
I think I really need to spend some time driving a few other FWD cars down some backroads to see how the handling compares to a Maxima, Camry, Optima, etc. I think there is some merit to the idea that it's a "well balanced sporty sedan". Maybe, I would feel differently after getting to experience some " handling" time with those other cars.

Several people have mentioned that the IS handles better than the 3 series and C class. I would like to do that comparison as well.

My handling opinions came from my research of the tire wear debate. There seems to be a lot of IS owners who scoff at the idea that it is a "sporty" car even in regards to handling. I also think that's one of the issue with the forum. I haven't encountered a brand or model of car where there was so much hate of it by the owners. It makes you feel like the brand/model really is a less-than-quality offering in its class. That is the reason why I asked if others were also influenced by bloggers and reviewers.
Old 09-29-19, 11:23 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I really need to spend some time driving a few other FWD cars down some backroads to see how the handling compares to a Maxima, Camry, Optima, etc. I think there is some merit to the idea that it's a "well balanced sporty sedan". Maybe, I would feel differently after getting to experience some " handling" time with those other cars.

Several people have mentioned that the IS handles better than the 3 series and C class. I would like to do that comparison as well.

My handling opinions came from my research of the tire wear debate. There seems to be a lot of IS owners who scoff at the idea that it is a "sporty" car even in regards to handling. I also think that's one of the issue with the forum. I haven't encountered a brand or model of car where there was so much hate of it by the owners. It makes you feel like the brand/model really is a less-than-quality offering in its class. That is the reason why I asked if others were also influenced by bloggers and reviewers.
Nowadays, there is just too much information, what with paid influencers, sponsored articles etc trying to pitch in with their biased, skewed and in essence, paid "reviews". As with anything, it is more useful to be able to sift and filter through all the subjective views to get what one really wants. Car and driver posted laptimes of the IS (also many other cars) and with regards to handling, laptimes should be a very objective way as a measurement. Draw your own conclusions. Lexus Boring? Lexus got these results while maintaining reliability ratings.

Every car and every lap from 10 years of Lightning Lap shootouts.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-more-feature/

Last edited by zhifan1; 09-29-19 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zhifan1:
Settle4 (09-29-19), signdetres (09-29-19)
Old 09-29-19, 12:00 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

In some ways, yes, in other ways no. I spent a little over 2 months shopping for a car. The car that I fell in love with was a 2016 Audi A6 Prestige S-line. Honestly, it stole my heart, but the ownership cost and the questionable long term reliability kept me from purchasing the Audi. I shopped the GS350 and several other vehicles before purchasing my IS. I drive about 35k miles a year so long term ownership was very important.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I did overlook some features that I just assumed it would have. Yes, I realize now the luxury package would have given me the memory seats. I was dumb to assume it would be included on a Lexus with the premium package.. lol.

What it boils down to, I have replayed the decision over-and-over and have concluded that I would have arrived at the same decision if I had to make it again. (Except I would have gotten the 350 & the luxury package) However, those two elements, or the fact that I would make the same decision again, doesn't help me LOVE the car anymore. It was the smart decision but I am having such a hard time being happy with the car.

At the end of the day, I need to just own that I am a conservative guy who doesn't like to take risks regarding reliability. I am just but hurt that I can't choose reliability and still enjoy the luxury and driving experience that I found in the Audi.
Don't sweat it man, you still got a nice car and just because its slow doesn't make it look any less sporty looking. The reason the IS drove me into the dealership back in 2016 was because it looked sharp and elegant, it made me double take and look every time someone passed me by in one. I didn't care if it was slow or not, I just wanted the damn car! I looked back at that car every day I walked away from it, and even today after 5-6 years of the 3IS model, its still one great looking car. I know you would like some of the options you mentioned, but just think of it as you sacrificing it for reliability (which you need with the amount of miles you drive per year). By the way, the IS looks way better than the A6 you considered getting (just my opinion)

As for the luxury package, don't quote me on this but I don't think you can get it in the F-Sport version of the vehicle, you have to get a non F to have a luxury package. Don't remember if you mentioned which version you have so if you have the F Sport version, don't worry because it wasn't even an option for you.

End of the day you made the right choice, you chose reliability since you drive that many miles. German cars are expensive to maintain long term, so with Lexus at least you'll have some sort of peace of mind. Maybe next car you can get German if you feel you'd prefer performance over reliability (even though the German cars are starting to become more and more reliable from what I read).
Settle4 (09-29-19)
Old 09-29-19, 12:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The Camry and Optima handling is uninspiring at best. Both are FWD unbalanced boats compared to the IS. The IS350 Fsport was a better handler vs the other IS versions though due to the AVS. Really made the car handle sharp especially with PS4s.

I also love the turning radius of the IS. I rarely ever had to do a 3 point turn. It could easily U turn on a side street. The car felt nimbler than any 3 series and it just drove "smaller". That is a heavily underrated feature of the IS.
Settle4 (09-29-19)

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?