IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 06:57 PM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus IS Regret?

How do you feel about your 3IS ownership decision? Do you regret not buying a German sports sedan or just getting a Toyota model?

I feel my own experience has been tainted by listening to auto bloggers and reviews about the 3IS.

The first time that I laid eyes on a 3IS I fell in love. Then, I watched the Consumer Reports (CR) review which advised me to RUN, not walk away. A short time later, I decided to ignore CR and test drive one for myself. I loved it! I liked the sporty handling and the cockpit cabin. I didn't see what all the CR fuss was about. Eventually, I purchased a 2016 IS300.

Almost immediately, I began to regret my emotional purchase as I began to realize the faux quality of the components and lack of standard luxury options. It bothers me that the there is plastic where there should be aluminum, pleather seats, piano black trim, no auto-tilting mirrors, no memory seats, and no accessory outlet options or climate control for the rear. To be fair, I missed many of these on the test drive. It is my fault, however, shouldn't these all be standard options on a car with the Lexus name? Once you put onthe Lexus badge, the base model should be equipped comparable to a Limited Toyota Model. It erks me that there are better equipped Camrys and Avalons at nearly $10K cheaper!

Lastly, the performance of the car leaves me self-conscious and embarrassed. Before watching the reviews, I wasn't aware that an XSE Camry ( and pretty much all other mid-sized cars) we're faster than the 3IS. It looks so sporty, but then you realize your the biggest faker in the room. People ask me all the time, "man, I bet that things a rocket?". I don't lie, but I can't tell them its slower than their dad's F150 and not want to crawl under a rock.

Anyway, I know I am going to get hate over this, but I really just needed a place to vent where some constructive feedback might be available. Truly, I really want to love my car. I paid a premium for it and I can't afford to get rid of it for another few years. I work hard to love it but it has been a real challenge.

I know it's stupid to let reviewers get in your head, buit'sts hard not to when every reviewer hates the car so much. I feel like I would have been better off buying a Camry, Avalon, or Optima. I'd likely have more luxury options, better performance, and similar reliability all while still saving $10k.

How do you guys deal with this? Does my argument have any merit?

In the end, I feel mad at Lexus! I feel like I am being forced to settle4 because I needed a reliable vehicle. Why can't Lexus just build a comparable product to the German luxury cars? Why make their owner's sacrifice all the performance and comfort for reliability?
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (08-07-21)
Old 09-26-19, 07:31 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

No regrets, just remember that more luxury options means more money down the drain if something breaks. I don't care for auto folding mirrors (too many moving parts, someone hits it got to replace the motor versus someone hits a static manual foldable mirror just replace the basic components). Not many cars comes with seat cooling and that is actually a good feature to have for leather especially in hot weather. I don't race so speed isn't an issue, just get from A to B at the quickest and safest.

If you just want performance just buy german, many people I know just lease their german cars cause after the warranty period the maintenance is a PITA on the bank. But for me, rarely I see an IS that is modded with taste versus the "low budget" ballers rocking a fully modded Camry/Corolla or some other Toyota car seeing how the same amount they spent for those mods could have put them into a Lexus that is much more nicer.

People can have their opinions on the car like the 2017+ IS has no fog lights, but to me that's less of a hassle on me when it comes to modding. You can easily pick up any Toyota and fully mod it to make it look nice and unique but for a Lexus there aren't much options but you get satisfaction that your car is much more unique. I have people everyday asking what splitter lip kit I have on and all the mods I have versus all the kiddies with modded Toyota's all they get is a thumbs up and people move on with their lives not much of a neck breaker to me.

Also an Optima is Korean....
The following 2 users liked this post by ex00:
laiyukchun (04-04-20), Settle4 (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19, 07:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's a balanced sports sedan. It's about taking the corners hard and keeping the speed through turns. It's super reliable, looks great, and fun to drive. No need for envy. I owned a 3IS for 5 years and had maybe 5 instances where I got smoked. No one really cares how fast the cars are. Most Camry drivers with V6 engines drive like grandpas. I test drove the 340 and S4 and a bunch of other cars and they feel a little faster but all cars have to be revved out to be fast. Most people don't tend to drive that way so i wouldn't be too worried.
The following 3 users liked this post by EZZ:
LaZeR (04-02-20), MagStock (08-11-21), Settle4 (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19, 07:53 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

No regrets. Feels sluggish at the low end
and as stated, you need to rev it out to get any power.
Still not used to it. Much different than my G37x.
On the other hand, the IS feels like a glove, much
more of a personal cockpit feel. I love the look of the IS and
I wouldn’t have purchased anything else.

Not it only would I not buy a Camry, I wouldn’t want to be seen riding in one :-).
The following 3 users liked this post by RKSTRAT:
Newskovich (10-02-19), Patrick427 (10-07-21), Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-26-19, 11:27 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Settle4
How do you feel about your 3IS ownership decision? Do you regret not buying a German sports sedan or just getting a Toyota model?

I feel my own experience has been tainted by listening to auto bloggers and reviews about the 3IS.

The first time that I laid eyes on a 3IS I fell in love. Then, I watched the Consumer Reports (CR) review which advised me to RUN, not walk away. A short time later, I decided to ignore CR and test drive one for myself. I loved it! I liked the sporty handling and the cockpit cabin. I didn't see what all the CR fuss was about. Eventually, I purchased a 2016 IS300.

Almost immediately, I began to regret my emotional purchase as I began to realize the faux quality of the components and lack of standard luxury options. It bothers me that the there is plastic where there should be aluminum, pleather seats, piano black trim, no auto-tilting mirrors, no memory seats, and no accessory outlet options or climate control for the rear. To be fair, I missed many of these on the test drive. It is my fault, however, shouldn't these all be standard options on a car with the Lexus name? Once you put onthe Lexus badge, the base model should be equipped comparable to a Limited Toyota Model. It erks me that there are better equipped Camrys and Avalons at nearly $10K cheaper!

Lastly, the performance of the car leaves me self-conscious and embarrassed. Before watching the reviews, I wasn't aware that an XSE Camry ( and pretty much all other mid-sized cars) we're faster than the 3IS. It looks so sporty, but then you realize your the biggest faker in the room. People ask me all the time, "man, I bet that things a rocket?". I don't lie, but I can't tell them its slower than their dad's F150 and not want to crawl under a rock.

Anyway, I know I am going to get hate over this, but I really just needed a place to vent where some constructive feedback might be available. Truly, I really want to love my car. I paid a premium for it and I can't afford to get rid of it for another few years. I work hard to love it but it has been a real challenge.

I know it's stupid to let reviewers get in your head, buit'sts hard not to when every reviewer hates the car so much. I feel like I would have been better off buying a Camry, Avalon, or Optima. I'd likely have more luxury options, better performance, and similar reliability all while still saving $10k.

How do you guys deal with this? Does my argument have any merit?

In the end, I feel mad at Lexus! I feel like I am being forced to settle4 because I needed a reliable vehicle. Why can't Lexus just build a comparable product to the German luxury cars? Why make their owner's sacrifice all the performance and comfort for reliability?
You've made all valid points, and ultimately that's a part of the reason I left the brand once my lease ended last month and went German. Don't beat yourself up over it though, it's a great car but it definitely can be a lot more for the price point I agree. Remember... the Camry, Avalon and Optima you mentioned may be better optioned for cheaper, but you are ultimately paying a premium for the 'Lexus' badge you got.

The options you mentioned, (memory seats, rear vents, auto tilt mirrors and folding, etc etc...) were all overlooked by me as well when I had my 2016 IS, I was more sold initially on the exterior look and that cockpit interior feeling like you mentioned. I questioned why those weren't standard options on a 'luxury' car as well after but I made sure those options weren't overlooked the next time around. Just take that as a lesson learned for next time around bud.

Overall... its a reliable car, looks great and handles extremely well. Car feels solid. And while I agree it isn't the fastest, I'm sure you'd rather be seen in a Lexus than a Camry or whatever else economy car there is... even if it's faster. Enjoy it, there is no need to regret it. Next time around maybe consider leasing so you can sacrifice the reliability for performance and not worry about it since it'll be covered for your lease term.
The following 2 users liked this post by premier3IS:
Ram3n (10-02-19), Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 04:38 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had my IS for almost 6 years now. I have zero regrets (mine is a 350, so it'll scoot) and still love this car.
For me it is about the feel of the car on the road and comfort. The IS is fun to drive and the seats fits like a glove.

While I agree that the Camry looks pretty good these days, it's still a FWD; I will not have a FWD as my daily.

I do have the new car itch, but test drives will not be any FWD cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by doodlebug:
LaZeR (04-02-20), Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 05:11 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

for me, rarely I see an IS that is modded with taste versus the "low budget" ballers rocking a fully modded Camry/Corolla or some other Toyota car seeing how the same amount they spent for those mods could have put them into a Lexus that is much more nicer.

People can have their opinions on the car like the 2017+ IS has no fog lights, but to me that's less of a hassle on me when it comes to modding.

Also an Optima is Korean....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Personally, I am not into modding. There is nothing wrong with it, it's s just not my style. I plan to keep my car stock. My references to the other vehicles were stock vs stock options.

I see your point about the auto folding mirrors. However, the seat coolers helps to reinforce my frustrations. I do like having the seat cooler option, but they don't work very well at all. The seat coolers on the Audi A6, that I test drove for a week in mid-July, works 10x better. When I bought my 3IS I was excited about this option based on my experience with the Audi, but Lexus let me down by failing to offer a comparable product.

As for the Optima, yes, I now its Korean. I have no preference to Japenese cars. The newer Optimas, after hiring an Audi designer as their chief engineer, offers a lot in a very affordable package. I only mentioned the Optima because it's a great car at a relatively low price point
Old 09-27-19, 05:14 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I've had my IS for almost 6 years now. I have zero regrets (mine is a 350, so it'll scoot) and still love this car.
For me it is about the feel of the car on the road and comfort. The IS is fun to drive and the seats fits like a glove.

While I agree that the Camry looks pretty good these days, it's still a FWD; I will not have a FWD as my daily.

I do have the new car itch, but test drives will not be any FWD cars.
I don't disagree about the FWD. That was an issue for me as well. I was looking at a GS at the same time as the IS. Often, I think the GS would have been a better option, but, for some reason that I can't put my finger on, I didn't like the GS as much during the test drive.
Old 09-27-19, 05:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Have you driven an Optima? The drive is mediocre at best and it's pretty slow too. The only saving grace is that it's cheap with a decent interior. Honestly, I would have gotten a Kia Stinger or Genesis if I wanted something under $50k as the IS is a little old now. The driving is fantastic in an IS350 though as the chassis is really well sorted. Even the new BMW doesn't outclass the IS in handling characteristics. Of course the Germans bring a ton of features and luxury but you're looking at something in the mid $50k and higher for a well equipped 3 series or A/S4. The Germans have the laggy turbo engines which I'm not too fond of either so no car is perfect.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
hotdam (05-14-22), Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 05:21 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by premier3IS
You've made all valid points, and ultimately that's a part of the reason I left the brand once my lease ended last month and went German. Don't beat yourself up over it though, it's a great car but it definitely can be a lot more for the price point I agree. Remember... the Camry, Avalon and Optima you mentioned may be better optioned for cheaper, but you are ultimately paying a premium for the 'Lexus' badge you got.

The options you mentioned, (memory seats, rear vents, auto tilt mirrors and folding, etc etc...) were all overlooked by me as well when I had my 2016 IS, I was more sold initially on the exterior look and that cockpit interior feeling like you mentioned. I questioned why those weren't standard options on a 'luxury' car as well after but I made sure those options weren't overlooked the next time around. Just take that as a lesson learned for next time around bud.

Overall... its a reliable car, looks great and handles extremely well. Car feels solid. And while I agree it isn't the fastest, I'm sure you'd rather be seen in a Lexus than a Camry or whatever else economy car there is... even if it's faster. Enjoy it, there is no need to regret it. Next time around maybe consider leasing so you can sacrifice the reliability for performance and not worry about it since it'll be covered for your lease term.
Man, your post made me feel a lot better. At least I am not the only one. However, leasing is not an option for me. I live in the rural midwest which means I drive about 35-40k miles per year. It would cost me a fortune to lease. This is the other reason that makes reliability a necessity for me. I just HATE being punished for it.

At the same time, I am just as pissed with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes for building throwaway cars. From a business angle, I completely understand their decision to do so considering their customer base. But, it sucks for consumers like me who require a long-term reliable vehicle. If I get fortunate enough to move where I don't drive so much, I will 100% lease an Audi!
Old 09-27-19, 05:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I wanted to touch on these 4 items:
1. no auto-tilting mirrors (true...no auto-tilt but in other markets there was auto-fold)
2. no memory seats (this is an option that could have been had in the right package)
3. no accessory outlet options (other than the ones in the center console??)
4. climate control for the rear (with such a small vehicle I can't see the need...let's be honest, it's not a big car)

I have a 250, so it's the slow of the slow. But as stated above, it's a balanced vehicle, so i do enjoy the handling and carrying what speed I have through the corners.
The exterior styling is fantastic...and when compared to the German counterparts, I think the IS holds its own for styling. To me, out of the German 3, Audi has the best styling. BMW and MB just look like every other car on the road...but sure sound a lot better.
And with all luxury brands you're paying a sticker price for the name alone...But I feel BMW and MB are really selling you the name rather than an overall quality vehicle.
Wait til the German fanboy jumps on this thread...we'll never hear the end of it...and y'all know who I'm talking about. lol

Personally I think the current Camry is stunning to look at...definitely the best looking Camry ever built and doesn't look like a grandpa's daily...even the Avalon is looking good.
With that Toyota reliability behind it, how can you go wrong.
And yeah, the 4 cyl. Camry has as much HP as my 250...but can it corner the same...I think not.

At the end of the day, nothing lasts forever, and eventually you'll move onto something else from your IS, and that vehicle isn't going to be perfect either.
The question is, do you enjoy driving it now? If so, that's all that matters.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
AquaMayne (08-08-21), Flash5 (09-28-19), pngo (09-27-19), Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 06:01 AM
Aleksei
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoying every second spent in my 15 350 awd f-sport still. As well as my wife 15 250 awd f-sport.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 06:22 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Zero regrets with my 2015 IS350 F-Sport. As others have already stated, its well-balanced. Also, for where I am in my life, it's the perfect combo of reliability, easy maintenance, styling, fun, and practicality all wrapped into one vehicle. As one review stated.... at least for the 350... it doesnt do one thing exceptionally well, but it gets 2nd place in many categories, which pushed it into first. Bonus points to anyone who can recall the review
LaZeR (04-02-20)
Old 09-27-19, 06:31 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Zero regrets with my 2015 IS350 F-Sport. As others have already stated, its well-balanced. Also, for where I am in my life, it's the perfect combo of reliability, easy maintenance, styling, fun, and practicality all wrapped into one vehicle. As one review stated.... at least for the 350... it doesnt do one thing exceptionally well, but it gets 2nd place in many categories, which pushed it into first. Bonus points to anyone who can recall the review
Everyday driver said that. Also, C&D said the same thing in print.
LaZeR (04-02-20)
Old 09-27-19, 06:52 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Everyday driver said that. Also, C&D said the same thing in print.
We have a winner

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?