IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wanting to get a used Lexus questions about reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 09:49 AM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wanting to get a used Lexus questions about reliability

As of right now I have a 2006 rx8 I bought brand new, only has 32k miles . So as you can see I don't drive crazy amounts. I do have other vehicles for work and things. I was looking at a 2017 Lexus IS 300 AWD F sport with 23k miles on it the used car dealer wants 25k $ . I did research and found Toyota / Lexus still is a great brand and wanted to know from people who have the car what they have experienced. Have you had many issues or problems? I'm looking for a car that I would drive maybe 4 or 5 times a week not crazy distances but be reliable and not require a lot of work like BMW and Mercedes. I also live in Connecticut and it snows so the AWD would be great for me.
Old 10-02-19, 10:43 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 2016 IS300 AWD. Knock on wood, have had zero issues other than brake pads from factory squealing which was fixed by replacing. But, that was one of the precise reasons for choosing this over some other competitors, and that was my past experience with Toyota/Lexus reliability. I also drive a lot yearly for commuting. I've owned/own Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura (from "luxury" brands), and this has been the most reliable/hassle free brand I've had. At the opposite end of the spectrum has been my experience with Audi. I have never purchased the extended warranty on a Japanese car. I have since learned to ALWAYS buy on German cars I've owned. If you're driving that little, this should be a solid car. Is it a certified Lexus?
Old 10-02-19, 10:51 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

There are several threads in this forum about this, but most of them "major" issues like (nav screen peeling, quick/sudden battery discharges, etc.) were with mainly regarding the 2014 models. I really haven't heard of any problem trends or themes in the later model years. I have the 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD and to date, haven't experienced any issues and feel it's a pretty solid car with an aggressive look/stance.

You'll probably hear and read about inner tire wear and F-Sport trims quickly going through brakes. These things aren't 'issues' since they're to be expected based on the design and car class, so if you end up going with the IS that's just something to keep in mind. Also while this isn't a problem or issue, the IS is not a sports car but rather a luxury sports sedan - so if you set an expectation for it to function like a race car, you will be rather disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
GNS (10-06-19)
Old 10-02-19, 09:00 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Teakrunked
As of right now I have a 2006 rx8 I bought brand new, only has 32k miles . So as you can see I don't drive crazy amounts. I do have other vehicles for work and things. I was looking at a 2017 Lexus IS 300 AWD F sport with 23k miles on it the used car dealer wants 25k $ . I did research and found Toyota / Lexus still is a great brand and wanted to know from people who have the car what they have experienced. Have you had many issues or problems? I'm looking for a car that I would drive maybe 4 or 5 times a week not crazy distances but be reliable and not require a lot of work like BMW and Mercedes. I also live in Connecticut and it snows so the AWD would be great for me.
I've has my IS 300 AWD for about 3 years,over 33,000 miles, and it's been solid. The only things I've run into are wear-related items and not instances of stuff breaking. For example, my rotors needed resurfacing at 17,000 miles, and I needed new tires at 21,000. Otherwise it's been perfect.
Old 10-02-19, 09:02 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The AWD drive is the better choice as it gives you the 3.5L V6 which is a sold engine, the 300 RWD gives you the lesser hp 2.0L V4T.
GNS (10-06-19)
Old 10-03-19, 05:02 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a solid car. Not nearly as many features as BMW / Mercedes, but way fewer issues as well. My former 335i was faster, had way more features, but also leaked oil, had a bunch of stuff fail. I have a 2014 is350 awd.
Old 10-03-19, 09:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

It should be reliable mechanically, just keep in mind and watch out for electrical faults, failing amps, failing led DRLs. My 2016 was fine except it had its water pump replaced under warranty at 25k miles.

I put together some of the potential concerns here that should help you in your shopping around: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-concerns.html
Old 10-03-19, 02:31 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

My 2014 is more prone to the tech and battery issues mentioned above.

However, 96k miles strong no problems. I foresee possibly a some items in the next 20-30k as that's when things like water pump or alternator start to go for me on past cars.

Only issues are anti glare screen, had to remove that coating which was peeling/defective. And my steering wheel has slightly cracked on the material Inna couple places along the outter edge. Otherwise interior is perfect even seats showing only light wear.
Even though my seats are Sam material I should mention some F-Sport models have reported more heavily cracked seats. (I think just the roja red....maybe I'm wrong )
Old 10-05-19, 01:28 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

don't get the turbo engine, get any of the 6 cylinder, should be fine.. I haven't heard of any electrical issues besides the head unit failing (which from what I read is mostly happening the 2014 models) so I would go 2015+
Old 10-06-19, 04:21 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I chose the 3IS 350 AWD because of reliability, and serviceability (among other things). Lexus makes their cars in the same way as Toyota does, but with more time allotted for most (if not all) assembly steps. A lot of Lexus parts are out of the Toyota parts bin, or lightly adapted from existing parts - the V6 in my 3IS is the same engine found in the Tacoma, Highlander, Camry and so on. I'm sure the hoses, wiring, tanks, etc are pretty much the same stuff as found in Toyota models. Also, Toyota tends to vertically integrate with their suppliers (Toyota Boshoku makes interiors, fabrics, bumpers) or have a very close relationship with them (Aisin, Yamaha, Denso, AGC) to ensure parts quality is within spec.

As for serviceability, the AWD system and differentials have drain plugs and their fluids can be changed out. This sounds like a weird thing to point out, but the Genesis G70 / Stinger GT's transfer case does not have a drain plug, making it very difficult to service. Kia's service manual says to replace the transfer case (!) in the event that the oil wears out. I'd wager that the same bull**** can be found across the German makes, especially BMW because the xDrive AWD is the same as on the G70/Stinger GT.
kj07xk (10-06-19)