IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Backup Camera Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19 | 10:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Default Backup Camera Stopped Working

Hi all,

It's me again! This morning when I turned on my car and placed it into reverse to back out of my garage, the backup camera did not engage. I turned off the car and restarted it without success.

Is there a specific fuse that anyone knows of that I should be looking for? I'm only asking because I've made an appointment with my local dealership as the car is still under warranty, but if it's a super easy fix, then I can avoid the annoying wait and potential loaner vehicle associated with a trip to the dealership. If it's too complicated then of course I'll let the dealership handle it because I don't want to unintentionally mess something else up.

Thanks in advance for your responses/advice/replies!

Edit: when I place the car into reverse, the screen remains on whatever it is currently displaying. It doesn't turn black, nor does it flicker, and everything else related to the infotainment center works as normal.

Last edited by davyjordi; 10-19-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-19-19 | 10:19 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Do you happen to have front camera installed?
Old 10-19-19 | 10:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Do you happen to have front camera installed?
I DO!! I had it installed about four years ago and I really hope that the dealership doesn't screw me over by blaming the front camera as the cause of the problem.
Old 10-19-19 | 11:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the radio head unit only has one input for the camera, so the front and rear are sharing the input.
Isn't there a switch that toggles between the front and rear camera for the display?

Considering the vehicle has an aftermarket front camera, and the issue is the rear factory camera is not displaying, I think you can guess where the dealer is going to go with this.
It doesn't mean there isn't a factory issue with the vehicle that is covered under warranty, but guaranteed if they remove the radio unit and see all the extra wiring, there will be questions, and likely a non-warranty repair on your dime.
Unless you front camera has it's own separate display that doesn't use the vehicles multi-display.
Old 10-19-19 | 12:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I believe the radio head unit only has one input for the camera, so the front and rear are sharing the input.
Isn't there a switch that toggles between the front and rear camera for the display?

Considering the vehicle has an aftermarket front camera, and the issue is the rear factory camera is not displaying, I think you can guess where the dealer is going to go with this.
It doesn't mean there isn't a factory issue with the vehicle that is covered under warranty, but guaranteed if they remove the radio unit and see all the extra wiring, there will be questions, and likely a non-warranty repair on your dime.
Unless you front camera has it's own separate display that doesn't use the vehicles multi-display.
goddamnit. both cameras are not working at the moment. so something is wrong. i might have to take it to an independent shop and have it fixed there, or just deal without having front/rear cameras if the cost is too high and i deem that it's just not worth it on a six-year-old vehicle.
Old 10-19-19 | 04:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
goddamnit. both cameras are not working at the moment. so something is wrong. i might have to take it to an independent shop and have it fixed there, or just deal without having front/rear cameras if the cost is too high and i deem that it's just not worth it on a six-year-old vehicle.
Are both camera's using the multi display to show their respective images? I'm guessing yes.
Could just be a loose connection behind the radio that has stopped both from displaying.
If it's a Beatsonic unit I think they have an interface that both cameras plug into and then the interface plugs into the radio head unit...I could be wrong though.
Old 10-19-19 | 04:41 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Are both camera's using the multi display to show their respective images? I'm guessing yes.
Could just be a loose connection behind the radio that has stopped both from displaying.
If it's a Beatsonic unit I think they have an interface that both cameras plug into and then the interface plugs into the radio head unit...I could be wrong though.
it's not a beatsonic unit. i had the front camera installed at a local audio/visual auto shop about four years ago. about a week ago my front camera stopped working and this morning my backup camera stopped working. i have called lexus and am awaiting a call back to see if they are willing to fix the car through the warranty or if they'll reject the claim. i've purchased three new lexus vehicles from this dealership, so they might be kind enough to fix it for me under warranty.
Old 10-19-19 | 04:45 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The only issue would be that if it is the aftermarket camera, then they can't fix it cause it's not Lexus parts.
The most they can do is revert the system back to factory and hope that the backup camera works. Of course there's no way to warranty that either.
I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket unit has crapped out causing the issue.
Old 10-19-19 | 05:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

spoke to lexus corporate as well as the local lexus dealership and both confirmed that if there is any other camera attached to the system, the claim will be denied under warranty. looks like i'm going to have to take it to the same shop that installed the front camera years ago to see how much they'll charge to fix it, if they are able to fix it at all.
Old 10-19-19 | 06:19 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davyjordi
I DO!! I had it installed about four years ago and I really hope that the dealership doesn't screw me over by blaming the front camera as the cause of the problem.
Very likely it’s fault of front camera interface or cable. I had the same issues a few years ago from faulty video cable, I had installed it myself so I knew how to check the cable. Backup camera is probably fed through the switch. If you’re pretty handy you might just take apart the LCD screen this is where the switch most likely be installed just behind LCD screen cable. Or you just go back to the original installer dealer won’t do anything to fix this for you.

Do you have extended warranty because 4 yr warranty is way past for you just like my car, this won’t be covered under powertrain warranty anyway if it’s related to Lexus parts failure.

Last edited by dojoman; 10-19-19 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-19-19 | 11:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Very likely it’s fault of front camera interface or cable. I had the same issues a few years ago from faulty video cable, I had installed it myself so I knew how to check the cable. Backup camera is probably fed through the switch. If you’re pretty handy you might just take apart the LCD screen this is where the switch most likely be installed just behind LCD screen cable. Or you just go back to the original installer dealer won’t do anything to fix this for you.

Do you have extended warranty because 4 yr warranty is way past for you just like my car, this won’t be covered under powertrain warranty anyway if it’s related to Lexus parts failure.
thanks for your response! i am going to take it to the original installer of the front camera because i have no idea what to look for or where the wires run. it's just odd that the front camera stopped working about a week prior to the reverse camera. nothing significant happened in between that span of time, so it's all a bit wtf-is-going-on status.

and yes, i have an extended comprehensive bumper-to-bumper warranty (extended service agreement) with lexus financial services that runs until 4/2022, so i am covered for quite a good length of time in case anything major goes wrong with the car.
Old 11-07-19 | 03:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

A happy update: the backup camera as well as the front camera started working again yesterday out of the blue so there must be a loose connection somewhere. The bluetooth audio began working as well. I don't know if I should take it back to the shop that originally installed the front camera to see if they can locate the loose connection, or whether I should wait if/when they all stop working again.

In any case, they all miraculously are working again (for the time being?)!
Old 11-07-19 | 10:18 AM
evident
Racer

I had this problem with my backup camera. remove the liner in the trunk and make sure the wires are tight. that fixed my issue.