IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front tires are absolutely worn. Looking to get summer tires for next year.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 07:47 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front tires are absolutely worn. Looking to get summer tires for next year.

Got my 350 f sport AWD in January this year. Drove the hell out of it (21,000km). My stock Turanza front tires are absolutely shot, the outer wall is basically balding and there is only a few mm of tread left whereas for the rear tires, it is as if they haven't been eaten. I drive normally most of the time but on some days when I'm in a hurry or when I just want to blow off some steam, I'll drive a little more aggressively. And if there's something I bought this car for, it's for its magnificent handling. Those sharp corners are super fun and irresistible. Hard to restrain myself from driving like this sometimes!!

Anyways I know it's too soon to shop around for summer tires as I just got my set of rims and winter tires (Blizzaks). I've read up a lot of good things about the Blizzaks for the winter time. But for the summer, I'm not looking to get another Bridgestone tire. I want something that's cost effective, has great performance, and of course something that doesn't wear down so fast.

Can anybody recommend me good performance summer tires? I've looked at Firestone Indy 500 and also considered Falkens. Michelins are at the top of my list but I am looking for some bang-for-your-buck performance tires.
Old 10-28-19, 11:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

There are lots of threads on tires here on this forum. I know this one was posted after yours, but I gave some thoughts in it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ggestions.html

tl;dr it's hard to go wrong with an ultra-high-performance all-season tire. They prioritize different attributes, however, so it's going to come down to what you want from your tires. From the sound of it, you enjoy a good back road, so maybe some of the sportier options, like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S would suit you.

As far as summers go, if you're set on them, the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are universally praised, so I'd look at those.
The following users liked this post:
silbercar (10-28-19)
Old 10-28-19, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Bang for your buck--nothing beats the Firehawk Indy 500s. Nothing. especially at how our cars eat front tires, can't be beat. The performance is 98% that of the Michelins, and in some areas, even exceeding it. I know cause i'm a 3x MPSS owner at track and canyon.even though they aren't track tires, they excel at doing serious stuff!

The 500s are aggressive beasts. i hope they make that tire forever <3
silbercar (10-28-19)
Old 10-28-19, 07:14 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Bang for your buck--nothing beats the Firehawk Indy 500s. Nothing. especially at how our cars eat front tires, can't be beat. The performance is 98% that of the Michelins, and in some areas, even exceeding it. I know cause i'm a 3x MPSS owner at track and canyon.even though they aren't track tires, they excel at doing serious stuff!

The 500s are aggressive beasts. i hope they make that tire forever <3
If I had a lot of fun on the OEM Turanzas (which everyone says are basically trash), then I probably haven't really experienced my car's handling. But I was coming from an upscale Ford Fusion (2007 Lincoln MKZ) before getting into this sexy Lexus. And my previous car was about as exciting to drive as drinking warm milk - plain boring.

Yeah I am planning on getting the Indy 500s next summer. It's funny how winter is just about to begin and I'm already thinking about summer tires haha. I guess it's the fact that I can't stand my stock Turanzas anymore. They are not the best but brand new, they weren't so bad and were actually pretty decent in the snow. But as time passed, they wore down pretty fast at the front so that I am not too happy about.

Thanks for the input
Old 10-28-19, 08:16 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Michelin Pilot AS3+ are my choice, followed closely by Continental DWS06. I used to buy ultra high performance summers like Michelin PSS and Hankook Ventus V12, but they seriously wear too quickly for my daily drive and they're just not cost effective.
Jazzrock (10-28-19)
Old 10-28-19, 08:18 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
Michelin Pilot AS3+ are my choice, followed closely by Continental DWS06. I used to buy ultra high performance summers like Michelin PSS and Hankook Ventus V12, but they seriously wear too quickly for my daily drive and they're just not cost effective.
I had the Michelin Pilot AS3+ on my CLA. Good tires, a bit noisy, but not too bad.