IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission and differential oil change intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 01:24 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission and differential oil change intervals?

I am working towards keeping my IS350 F sport AWD in the most tip top shape possible while putting miles on it.

Recommended oil changes by the dealership is every 16,000km but I’ll usually get her done before that.

My car is at 52,000km now and I’m due for an oil change in the next 4000km. Previous oil change was done at 40,000km. I drive my car hard every now and then to have some fun otherwise I drive like a civilized person. Sport plus mode is used sparingly for when I need that extra aggressive transmission performance for overtaking or for a more spirited drive.

Question: is it necessary for me to flush the transmission when I bring my car in for service before 56,000km? What about the differential fluid (front and rear)?

Your responses are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-29-19, 02:00 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by silbercar
I am working towards keeping my IS350 F sport AWD in the most tip top shape possible while putting miles on it.

Recommended oil changes by the dealership is every 16,000km but I’ll usually get her done before that.

My car is at 52,000km now and I’m due for an oil change in the next 4000km. Previous oil change was done at 40,000km. I drive my car hard every now and then to have some fun otherwise I drive like a civilized person. Sport plus mode is used sparingly for when I need that extra aggressive transmission performance for overtaking or for a more spirited drive.

Question: is it necessary for me to flush the transmission when I bring my car in for service before 56,000km? What about the differential fluid (front and rear)?

Your responses are greatly appreciated!
This is arguably the most debated topic on any Toyota/Lexus forum. In Canada, the United Arab Emirates and many other extreme climate nations 80,000km (not sure what that is in miles) is recommended by Lexus (generally). Its higher in places with less harsh climates and I believe Lexus even claims it’s a “lifetime” fluid in certain places.

Now I’m not gonna start another Toyota WS Fluid debate as this forum is full of them, BUT, that being said use common sense. No fluid is “lifetime” and not everyone drives their vehicles the same or lives in the same weather conditions. Towing, short vs long trips, climate, driving style all play a huge factor in how long trans fluid/oil will last.

I drive the same car you do. A 15 350 Awd FSport and because I take extra good care of my car, live in extreme weather conditions where summer temperatures can hit almost 50 degrees Celsius and -50 celcius in the winter and because I drive my car spiritedly I changed my trans fluid at 55,000km and again at 65,000km. I do oil every 8000km (what my Lexus owners manual states if you fall under the “extreme conditions”)

For the Trans, its a drain and refill procedure, approximately 25% of the total trans fluid will drain. I than did another one a few months later where approximately another 25% was changed. I am doing another one soon and the reason is you can only get about a quarter of the total fluid out so it’s common on drain and refill procedures to do multiple back to back to actually get the majority of the fluid changed. I figure if I do 3 by the 80,000km mark than about 2/3 of my fluid will be relatively new than I’ll leave it alone and do 1 every 20,000km/1 year or so.

I have an independent master Toyota tech do the job, it costs around $120. I figure dropping 120$ a year on trans fluid changes is an incredibly cheap assurance for longevity and maximum performance of the transmission. A new one costs around 3-5k from the dealer if yours ever did break. So, to answer your question, it depends. If you’re in an “extreme” climate & you drive the car hard I would say follow Lexus’s advice (they usually say 80,000km for those places) except understand that since you only get 25% fluid each time you’ll probably want to do a few than leave it and continue with maybe 1 every 20-30,000km.
If you’re not in an extreme climate and you don’t drive the car hard you can go way longer, maybe more like change it every 2 years and every 50-60,000km... In my opinion.

Last edited by NickCaesar; 10-29-19 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 02:15 PM
silbercar
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
This is arguably the most debated topic on any Toyota/Lexus forum. In Canada, the United Arab Emirates and many other extreme climate nations 80,000km (not sure what that is in miles) is recommended by Lexus (generally). Its higher in places with less harsh climates and I believe Lexus even claims it’s a “lifetime” fluid in certain places.

Now I’m not gonna start another Toyota WS Fluid debate as this forum is full of them, BUT, that being said use common sense. No fluid is “lifetime” and not everyone drives their vehicles the same or lives in the same weather conditions. Towing, short vs long trips, climate, driving style all play a huge factor in how long trans fluid/oil will last.

I drive the same car you do. A 15 350 Awd FSport and because I take extra good care of my car, live in extreme weather conditions where summer temperatures can hit almost 50 degrees Celsius and -50 celcius in the winter and because I drive my car spiritedly I changed my trans fluid at 55,000km and again at 65,000km. I do oil every 8000km (what my Lexus owners manual states if you fall under the “extreme conditions”)

For the Trans, its a drain and refill procedure, approximately 25% of the total trans fluid will drain. I than did another one a few months later where approximately another 25% was changed. I am doing another one soon and the reason is you can only get about a quarter of the total fluid out so it’s common on drain and refill procedures to do multiple back to back to actually get the majority of the fluid changed. I figure if I do 3 by the 80,000km mark than about 2/3 of my fluid will be relatively new than I’ll leave it alone and do 1 every 20,000km/1 year or so.

I have an independent master Toyota tech do the job, it costs around $120. I figure dropping 120$ a year on trans fluid changes is an incredibly cheap assurance for longevity and maximum performance of the transmission. A new one costs around 3-5k from the dealer if yours ever did break. So, to answer your question, it depends. If you’re in an “extreme” climate & you drive the car hard I would say follow Lexus’s advice (they usually say 80,000km for those places) except understand that since you only get 25% fluid each time you’ll probably want to do a few than leave it and continue with maybe 1 every 20-30,000km.
If you’re not in an extreme climate and you don’t drive the car hard you can go way longer, maybe more like change it every 2 years and every 50-60,000km... In my opinion.
Guess I’m getting my transmission flushed soon then. But that’s a lot of intervals! What about the differential, have you done anything for that? Also I live in Toronto, Canada so would you recommend 8000km oil change intervals instead?
Old 10-29-19, 02:24 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

As Nick stated above, there is much debate and opinion on this.
Some will say longer intervals, some shorter...some will day the WS fluid is no good, some will say to stick with OEM.

Me personally, I change:
- Engine oil every 5,000kms
- Front and Rear Diff. every 50,000kms
- Transmission every 50,000kms, but I recommend for the average driver every 100,000kms

The tranny I actually did at 50,000kms because I don't drive much (about 10K a year) and the car was over 5 years old already with only 50K on it.
Given that only a portion of the tranny fluid is drained and refilled, doing multiple changes back to back is a good idea to get the best exchange of fluid...you'll never get 100%, so don't try, but even if you can do a 50-75% exchange, you can't go wrong with that.
Old 10-29-19, 02:47 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by silbercar
Guess I’m getting my transmission flushed soon then. But that’s a lot of intervals! What about the differential, have you done anything for that? Also I live in Toronto, Canada so would you recommend 8000km oil change intervals instead?
Yea I just put my intervals so you understood that every time you do the trans fluid it’s not a 100% change...more like 25% and you could see how I did it.
There’s people with 3rd gen IS’s that might change their fluid once every 100k miles and it’s fine because of climate/driving conditions and vice versa you can have a guy with 60,000km and because of extreme climate and driving conditions it can be toasted.

My personal recommendation would be do 1 drain and refill now...than do another one a couple weeks/months later, after that about half your fluid or so will be new and you can just do 1 every 20-30,000km or so. I do that because Lexus recommends 80,000km in most harsh climates and changing it like that will ensure that not much old trans fluid is left by the next 80,000km.

I do differentials every 30,000km they are cheaper and easier than an oil change. I believe that’s Lexus’s recommendation on our cars in Canada.
Oil I do every 8000km because I’m in an extreme climate, i make frequent short trips & I drive my car spiritedly..again I figure I bought a nice car why not change the oil frequently for maximum longevity and performance.
1 extra oil change a year costs me about $70-75....About $45 in oil, $20 in labor and 8$ for OEM filter.
I buy a premium full synthetic when it’s on sale at Canadian Tire...they usually do a 45% off sale every couple months and I buy a few. Again, not everyone is in a harsh climate and drives hard. I believe a good chunk of people here do it every 16,000km. But again, for me personally, I do 8000km because of my climate and driving conditions. IMO an extra $70 a year on a Lexus for oil changes seems like a good assurance.
Old 10-29-19, 03:01 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Some will say longer intervals, some shorter...some will day the WS fluid is no good, some will say to stick with OEM.

Me personally, I change:
- Transmission every 50,000kms, but I recommend for the average driver every 100,000kms

The tranny I actually did at 50,000kms because I don't drive much (about 10K a year) and the car was over 5 years old already with only 50K on it.
Given that only a portion of the tranny fluid is drained and refilled, doing multiple changes back to back is a good idea to get the best exchange of fluid...you'll never get 100%, so don't try, but even if you can do a 50-75% exchange, you can't go wrong with that.
What kind of engine oil do you use?
Where do you live?
Old 10-29-19, 04:44 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Me personally, I change:

5,000 kms sounds really short for oil. I've been doing mine every 5,000 miles, which is more like 8046 kms. Only reason I've been doing that is because I have prepaid maintenance, and "might as well". I thought Lexus recommended 10,000 mile intervals. Any reason you do such a short one?
Old 10-29-19, 07:06 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I check my oil condition every few weeks, but I'm doing about 8,000 km between changes as well. Probably will have rear diff oil changed during my next oil change along with my spark plugs. Probably will do a drain and fill on my transmission at 80,000 km.

Could probably stretch the oil out a couple thousand additional km, but the oil starts to get moderately dark at 8,000. I'd expect it'll be pretty crapped up if I go another couple thousand before changing. Could probably go longer, but I'm thinking the turbo will be happier supplied with fresh oil.

Old 10-30-19, 05:07 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of engine oil do you use?
Where do you live?
I use the dealer oil and I'm in Richmond Hill.
I may start doing the oil myself, but it's just a hassle to get the car off the ground cause it's lowered. Gotta go through this whole song and dance with driving it up on blocks to get the jack under the front blah blah blah
The following users liked this post:
BrianDCIS (11-03-23)
Old 10-30-19, 05:12 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
5,000 kms sounds really short for oil. I've been doing mine every 5,000 miles, which is more like 8046 kms. Only reason I've been doing that is because I have prepaid maintenance, and "might as well". I thought Lexus recommended 10,000 mile intervals. Any reason you do such a short one?
It usually takes me about 6 months to drive 5,000kms...so basically I'm changing oil twice a year. That's why I do it at that low kms.
I also usually time it so that one oil change is right when summer starts, and the second when the bad part of winter is about to hit (January-ish).
That way I get the new oil in there before the ambient temp takes a turn for the worst...in either direction.
Old 10-30-19, 05:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

It usually takes me about 6 months to drive 5,000kms...so basically I'm changing oil twice a year. That's why I do it at that low kms.
I also usually time it so that one oil change is right when summer starts, and the second when the bad part of winter is about to hit (January-ish).
That way I get the new oil in there before the ambient temp takes a turn for the worst...in either direction.
+1. I was just curious, but indeed, every 6 months sounds reasonable. And yeah I like the idea of starting the season with new oil.
Old 11-03-23, 09:59 PM
BrianDCIS
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

This has been so helpful. Thank you. Just posted on another thread and got a better answer here and much more relevant for my 2017 IS300 AWD. My advisor recommended diffs every 60k and trans every 60-80k. I drive in toronto so it’s much of the same -30 - +40 swings. I do 30-40,000 kms a year, 95% highway cruising at like 120-140 kph. I baby my car and “over service” it but I enjoy it and I’ve had zero issues in 4 years of driving. I just wasn’t sure if this was a truly honest and accurate recommendation despite me trusting my advisor and dealership highly. I had the transmission “flush” done at 70k and I’m now at 100k. But the drain and refill service was half the cost of the transmission flush service and so j was told I don’t need to do subsequent repetitive oil replacements? Does that sound right? I was an advisor for Lexus myself albeit limited time and never had to get into trans flush’s because I did mostly internal repair orders not customer ros.
Old 11-03-23, 10:22 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianDCIS
This has been so helpful. Thank you. Just posted on another thread and got a better answer here and much more relevant for my 2017 IS300 AWD. My advisor recommended diffs every 60k and trans every 60-80k. I drive in toronto so it’s much of the same -30 - +40 swings. I do 30-40,000 kms a year, 95% highway cruising at like 120-140 kph. I baby my car and “over service” it but I enjoy it and I’ve had zero issues in 4 years of driving. I just wasn’t sure if this was a truly honest and accurate recommendation despite me trusting my advisor and dealership highly. I had the transmission “flush” done at 70k and I’m now at 100k. But the drain and refill service was half the cost of the transmission flush service and so j was told I don’t need to do subsequent repetitive oil replacements? Does that sound right? I was an advisor for Lexus myself albeit limited time and never had to get into trans flush’s because I did mostly internal repair orders not customer ros.
if you got a flush, an actual flush where they truly replace all the fluid, you shouldn’t have to do much more, maybe 1 drain and refill every 30-40k if you want to be vigilant.

When you do a drain and refill it’s mixing new with old fluid so that’s why more frequent is better, you aren’t replacing all of it like a flush.

the guy I saw I found on kijiji, I think he’s in Markham. Just kijiji search “Lexus transmission fluid” and his ad should pop up. He upped prices I think it’s around $150 for the transmission drain and refill and he does the injector service at same time.