IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3rd to 1st Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19 | 08:59 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

Question 3rd to 1st Downshifting

Hey guys,

The issue I'm having is that when I brake to a complete stop, the car is downshifting from 3rd to 1st in the last few mph before it reaches 0mph and that causes a noticeable jerk before the car stops. The jerk isn't super jarring or anything but it lurches you forward a bit in your seat if you're not expecting it. I switch the display to gear mode so I know it goes from 3rd to 1st. I've tried manually shifting from 3rd to 2nd to 1st and it is definitely smoother that way

I've searched around the forum and there are a lot of posts about how our cars have jerky/hard shifts and downshifts, but I can't see this as being normal. Especially in a luxury car I should be able to at least stop smoothly. It does it in all modes (sport, eco, normal) and no matter how slow I try to brake to a complete stop it still does it. Its understandable if I was braking hard to a complete stop but it does it no matter what I do.

Have you guys notice this issue with your 3IS?
Old 11-04-19 | 09:07 AM
HOMER350
Racer

3rd gear is definitely to blame in my car too. Just from the sounds of it, I think mine is less noticeable and less frequent that yours but I get something similar.

Mine is usually ok in drive with normal mode. Sport mode or manual mode is almost always when it happens. Sometimes I think I even hear it shift which is the biggest concern. Do you hear yours click into gear too?

I read of enough people reporting this it lowered my concern.
Old 11-04-19 | 09:33 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Haven't had this issue on my 200t on coming to a stop.

Occasionally the transmission will get confused while creeping in slow traffic and the car will judder, but it's rare. Torque converter lock up is noticeable in transition between 8th and 7th gear sometimes as well.
Old 11-04-19 | 09:34 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

I think you're right about 3rd gear being the issue. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd in manual mode is always a hard shift, but that doesn't concern me as it only happens in manual mode.

I'm not sure I notice it click into gear, but I will keep an ear out for that when I drive later and report back.

I am not too concerned at least for now. It's more of a minor annoyance and I probably made it sound worse than it really is
Old 11-04-19 | 11:18 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by drwindow
I think you're right about 3rd gear being the issue. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd in manual mode is always a hard shift, but that doesn't concern me as it only happens in manual mode.

I'm not sure I notice it click into gear, but I will keep an ear out for that when I drive later and report back.

I am not too concerned at least for now. It's more of a minor annoyance and I probably made it sound worse than it really is
Right on, yeah looking to see if you actually can hear it switch. Sometimes muffled by the mini-mini backfire pop / poof noise in exhaust I usually get at that point too.

That part I have not read much response on and has me a little concerned. Otherwise most seem to have hard shifts going down from 3rd or 4th.
Old 11-04-19 | 11:37 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Right on, yeah looking to see if you actually can hear it switch. Sometimes muffled by the mini-mini backfire pop / poof noise in exhaust I usually get at that point too.

That part I have not read much response on and has me a little concerned. Otherwise most seem to have hard shifts going down from 3rd or 4th.
+1, downshifting from 4th to 3rd or 2nd to 1st is always a rough shift in my IS as well. Seems to be true of any of the 6-speed cars.

This might be completely coincidental, but I noticed similar oddities in my old 2015 Camry. When using the paddle shifters, it was always smooth to go from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd, but 4th to 3rd was always a hard shift. It's a completely different transmission (and drivetrain), but it had the same issue. I wonder if this is a deliberate choice by Toyota/Lexus.
Old 11-04-19 | 12:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
+1, downshifting from 4th to 3rd or 2nd to 1st is always a rough shift in my IS as well. Seems to be true of any of the 6-speed cars.

This might be completely coincidental, but I noticed similar oddities in my old 2015 Camry. When using the paddle shifters, it was always smooth to go from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd, but 4th to 3rd was always a hard shift. It's a completely different transmission (and drivetrain), but it had the same issue. I wonder if this is a deliberate choice by Toyota/Lexus.
Mines the 8-spd
Which is a 3rd trans with similar behavior with your 6 spd and Camry.
Old 11-04-19 | 01:00 PM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

I should probably clarify that I have the 200t with the 8-spd.

I just got back from a drive and didn't really notice any clicking into gear with mine. Do you know if the 350 and 200t share the same 8-spd transmission?
Old 11-04-19 | 01:36 PM
pngo
Intermediate

I am pretty sure the 350 RWD and 200t RWD share the same 8-spd.

I have a hardshift in manual mode downshifting from 4th to 3rd, unless I am at >2500 rpm or so. It is much worse when I let the car auto-downshift as I slow to a stop.

In auto/normal driving modes, I do experience that jerk as the car comes to a stop. I agree it is weird since it feels like the car "jerks" twice before stopping.. I believe someone has stated that one is due to the shock absorber releasing and the other due to the vehicle deceleration stopping. That makes sense in terms of physics, but I agree that I haven't felt that in other cars.
Old 11-04-19 | 01:40 PM
arentz07

I should clarify, I've got an AWD, and thus, the 6-speed. Also, I don't experience any roughness or jerking when coming to a stop in "D" drive...
Old 11-04-19 | 04:33 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by pngo
I am pretty sure the 350 RWD and 200t RWD share the same 8-spd.

I have a hardshift in manual mode downshifting from 4th to 3rd, unless I am at >2500 rpm or so. It is much worse when I let the car auto-downshift as I slow to a stop.

In auto/normal driving modes, I do experience that jerk as the car comes to a stop. I agree it is weird since it feels like the car "jerks" twice before stopping.. I believe someone has stated that one is due to the shock absorber releasing and the other due to the vehicle deceleration stopping. That makes sense in terms of physics, but I agree that I haven't felt that in other cars.
We definitely have the same thing going on. Worst when auto down shifts (in manual mode) and only at low speed/rpms

Originally Posted by arentz07
I should clarify, I've got an AWD, and thus, the 6-speed. Also, I don't experience any roughness or jerking when coming to a stop in "D" drive...
Yeah mine is smooth in D drive, unless it's in Sport mode ( I THINK)

The fact that this trans is as reputable as they come (6 spd is tried as true as well) and that symptoms are reported being so similar to each other....kind of puts my mind at ease.

I've had 2 other cars in the past which had trans issues so I've been on extra high alert with this one. To the OP, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Last edited by HOMER350; 11-04-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-04-19 | 04:56 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Yeah mine is smooth in D drive, unless it's in Sport mode ( I THINK)

The fact that this trans is as reputable as they come (6 spd is tried as true as well) and that symptoms are reported being so similar to each other....kind of puts my mind at ease.

I've had 2 other cars in the past which had trans issues so I've been on extra high alert with this one. To the OP, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Yeah I should clarify that what I mentioned in my post early while in D/auto mode doesn't feel like a problematic "jerk". I agree that as more members bring up the "issue", I feel more at ease as well. I did annoy the dealer about it, so if anything ever does go south, then I will have it at least documented.
Old 11-05-19 | 05:59 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

My recently bought 2016 F Sport had a pretty hard downshift from 4-3 when I bought it. I took it to my local Lexus dealer and had them do a drain/fill on the transmission fluid. It is shifting significantly smoother after that.

I'm probably going to have them do it one more time next month to get a higher ratio of new fluid in the car.
Old 11-05-19 | 06:57 AM
arentz07

Went for a bit of a "spirited" drive last night in order to play around with shifting some. In manual mode it just doesn't seem to rev-match 3rd gear properly. I can manually rev-match (i.e., tap the accelerator just before 3rd gear is engaged), and the car seems to be fine with that. The timing is tricky though. Otherwise the engine revs back down before it revs up again.

4th and 2nd gear get automatically rev-matched.

Again this is with the 6 speed.
Old 11-05-19 | 08:08 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am feeling a little more at ease that we all seem to experience similar "issues" lol

Quick Reply: 3rd to 1st Downshifting