IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is this an IS? :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 01:18 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
i was thinking it should have caught it too. can you disable it fully on the IS? i remember trying (just idling in my garage just playing with buttons) but i could never tell if it was all the way off. I know BMWs have two stages, partial off and fully off.

if you can do it fully off on the IS, i wouldn't put it past a guy like that to turn it off while pulling stunts.

also if you have no traction, bald tires, wet roads, stability control is still good, but less capable. not all stability control algorithms are equal as well. some catch worse than others. lots of variables especially at really high speeds.
you can fully turn off TC on the IS.

But one thing to remember traction control doesn't solve driving like an idiot
Old 11-19-19, 01:24 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

yep laws of physics still apply. i'll bet he turned it all the way off, probably thinking it would slow him down... in turns.. on the highway.. with your girlfriend and firefighter in the car... at night
Old 11-19-19, 01:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Wow more info.. read this.. what a douche:

The NYPD lead foot killed when he crashed his car on the FDR Drive Saturday had been busted speeding and blowing red lights at least 10 times this year, The Post has learned — including one citation for speeding in a school zone on Halloween issued just days before the wreck, which also left two passengers with severe injuries.

The plate registered to 25-year-old Garman Chen’s 2016 Lexus — HCG-5421 — was slapped with seven camera violations for speeding in a school zone this year, three for blowing through red lights and one for not displaying a meter receipt, city records show.

The latest ticket — a $50 fine for zooming through a school zone on Ocean Parkway and Beverly Road on Halloween Oct. 31 — was sent to Chen on Nov. 4 and remained unpaid when he crashed early Saturday, records show.

“He always speed,” said Marvin Chen, 75, a neighbor who is not related to the cop. “I always say to him, ‘Take it easy. Where you going in such a hurry?’ I stand in front of his car and hold up my hands. I say take it easy and he no listen. It’s sad.”

Another neighbor who shares a driveway with Chen attested to his need for speed.

“We share a driveway and he drives quite fast,” said the man, who identified himself as Kachun and lives next door to the Midwood home where Chen lived with his parents. “It is tight back there and he drives very fast. Surprisingly fast.”

“Normally people drive very slow, but not him,” he said. “There is not much room back there but he is young and drives sporty, very fast.”

The three-year veteran cop, most recently assigned to the 76th Precinct, was driving on the FDR near 23rd Street “at a high rate of speed” when he lost control of the Lexus about 2:30 a.m., according to cops.

The car is seen on video speeding before it veers off the road and slams into a barrier.

His two passengers, a city firefighter and his girlfriend, were not wearing seat belts and were thrown from the car, police said Sunday.

Both were listed in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital.

Police are investigating whether Chen was racing when he lost control, according to sources.

I'll bet he was getting these citations signed off by his superiors in the force... which could open them up to liability i'd think if they didn't enforce these citations. you'd think after a few you'd lose your license...
Old 11-19-19, 01:31 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yep more or less all the cars today perform about the same in a side pole impact @ 20 mph. (that video is old) but yeah.. it doesn't take much since the pole/tree is such a small object relative to the car. Car structures are not solid by any stretch of the imagination. They are basically sheet metal that's layered and boxed but still sheet metal. So it folds like paper pretty much if it hits the right object. And even if a car is solid, your body still has to slow down from 20-0mph or 50-0mph. And our organs can't take it.
This is partly by design. The car falls apart dispersing the energy of the impact...less impact on the passengers. Think Nascar had something to do with figuring that out, idk. Not much of a physics guy but the more solid build cars were more harmful to passengers.
Old 11-19-19, 01:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I know how crashes work. been studying them closely for 25 years. i know all the steels, grades of steels, supplier contracts etc. i love the subject

the particular case we're talking about has little to nothing to do with "partly by design" folding up etc. the car just folded up cause it hit a hard *** object at high speed. not much related to "design" in this case.

passenger cars don't really "break apart" anyway. its a monocoque unibody structure.

high end sports cars with separate tubs are where you see "breaking apart" " by design"
Old 11-19-19, 01:37 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

i was thinking it should have caught it too. can you disable it fully on the IS? i remember trying (just idling in my garage just playing with buttons) but i could never tell if it was all the way off. I know BMWs have two stages, partial off and fully off.

if you can do it fully off on the IS, i wouldn't put it past a guy like that to turn it off while pulling stunts.

also if you have no traction, bald tires, wet roads, stability control is still good, but less capable. not all stability control algorithms are equal as well. some catch worse than others. lots of variables especially at really high speeds.
long press (like 3-5 seconds) turns TC off for good. It will annoy you to no end, though, because in that mode, the car will display “TC is off message” on the display and you would have to press <— button to dismiss it... and then the message comes back up in 1/2 min.

The way the car behaved in that video is an indication that he lost traction right about when he started braking in the turn. Then the car started to go a bit sideways or understeering. The effect on video was minimal, but it prompted the driver to overcorrect it. Then the front wheels grabbed the road, and he was sent flying into the wall and to his subsequent death.

Last edited by sunamer; 11-19-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 02:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
long press (like 3-5 seconds) turns TC off for good. It will annoy you to no end, though, because in that mode, the car will display “TC is off message” on the display and you would have to press <— button to dismiss it... and then the message comes back up in 1/2 min.

The way the car behaved in that video is an indication that he lost traction right about when he started braking in the turn. Then the car started to go a bit sideways or understeering. The effect on video was minimal, but it prompted the driver to overcorrect it. Then the front wheels grabbed the road, and he was sent flying into the wall and to his subsequent death.
Yeah the TC and VSC sytem in our cars is quite intrusive. So, unless he really threw the car hard, I would be surprised if the system didn't catch him. (Haven't watched the video yet, but I have done some experimenting in the snow... even there, it does a pretty good job making the car turn in.)
Old 11-19-19, 02:23 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a pretty fast driver myself. Friends call me a speed demon. I usualy get in lanes with no traffic. City speed limits are about 40-45, I'm usually going 50+, sometimes 60+ if I'm in a hurry. Freeway speeds are posted 65 but I'm usually going 80-85 if there isn't traffic. Occasionally I like to speed test and go 90-100 for a couple seconds on the freeway.

Slowing down is something I've been working on. Seeing accidents like these really is a wake up call at times. Cars are just thin sheet metal and you aren't protected that well at fast speeds. I've been lucky and never gotten any speeding ticket ever. In my younger 20s, I was actually worse. Now that I'm 27 and slightly older I am slightly more calm. I don't ever race people anymore. I always drive safe if I have other passengers. But nerveless, still work in progress.

Last edited by ABGLexus; 11-19-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-19-19, 02:44 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
I'm a pretty fast driver myself. Friends call me a speed demon. I usualy get in lanes with no traffic. City speed limits are about 40-45, I'm usually going 50+, sometimes 60+ if I'm in a hurry. Freeway speeds are posted 65 but I'm usually going 80-85 if there isn't traffic. Occasionally I like to speed test and go 90-100 for a couple seconds on the freeway.

Slowing down is something I've been working on. Seeing accidents like these really is a wake up call at times. Cars are just thin sheet metal and you aren't protected that well at fast speeds. I've been lucky and never gotten any speeding ticket ever. In my younger 20s, I was actually worse. Now that I'm 27 and slightly older I am slightly more calm. I don't ever race people anymore. But nerveless, still work in progress.
I think, at the end of the day, how you drive is your business, but ultimately my policy is to just drive cautiously whenever there are any cars around. I only let loose on back roads with no traffic. I never go more than 15 over the speed limit, and usually not even 10 over unless I am on the highway where most others are already doing that.

I've only ever had one speeding ticket, and that was about 9 years ago - I was going 35 in a 25 MPH school zone. I just completely forgot that it was a school zone... learned my lesson that day, for sure. My grandmother was in the passenger seat at the time, too. Pretty embarrassing... And I've only been involved in one collision, and it wasn't my fault. I got rear-ended because I was trying to dodge a car that veered out of its lane. That driver was having issues staying in their lane before I got next to them... figured I could zoom around them but no such luck.

Moral of the story: other drivers suck. In the case of our crashed IS above though, it seems like the driver who sucked was actually the IS driver this time around.
Old 11-19-19, 04:28 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
seems like the driver who sucked was actually the IS driver this time around.
Yeah, that IS capabilities were much higher than the driving skill of the driver, that is for sure...
Old 11-19-19, 04:46 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Yeah I know how crashes work. been studying them closely for 25 years. i know all the steels, grades of steels, supplier contracts etc. i love the subject

the particular case we're talking about has little to nothing to do with "partly by design" folding up etc. the car just folded up cause it hit a hard *** object at high speed. not much related to "design" in this case.

passenger cars don't really "break apart" anyway. its a monocoque unibody structure.

high end sports cars with separate tubs are where you see "breaking apart" " by design"

My post was relevant to your post. It was not to you directly, nor did it have anything to do with what knowledge you do or do not have.

You mentioned the impact in a more solid car would still mean the passenger's body would still have to go from 50 to zero and is very damaging in that way alone. My point was, that fact is even more true in a car which is more solidly built like older cars.

I wasn't referring to the same build of a high end sports car obviously but "falls apart" may not be the best term. 99% of readers would know exactly what I meant by that.

Last edited by HOMER350; 11-19-19 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pngo (11-19-19)
Old 11-19-19, 04:55 PM
sunamer
Advanced

His two passengers, a city firefighter and his girlfriend, were not wearing seat belts and were thrown from the car, police said Sunday....
Not a surprise...

But also, how was he still a cop after that many violations? What a huge future liability to the police department. Now, it is all gone and they did not even have to pay for “on duty death”.
Old 11-19-19, 04:58 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Wow more info.. read this.. what a douche:
The man died. Let's have a little respect/common sense.

But yeah.... definitely drove like an idiot. Clearly thought he was above the law and could demonstrate that thought through putting others people's kids/families in danger.
Old 11-19-19, 05:04 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOMER350
The man died. Let's have a little respect/common sense.

But yeah.... definitely drove like an idiot. Clearly thought he was above the law and could demonstrate that thought through putting others people's kids/families in danger.
He clearly was a lot more dangerous driver than initially thought. He died because he was playing with luck way too much and had nothing to back up his position, when Lady Fortuna turned away from him. He almost killed two passengers...
I have very little respect for him.
I dispense respect when it is due, and not just based on the fact that some dangerous person has died. And that is just common sense...
Old 11-19-19, 05:26 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by sunamer
He clearly was a lot more dangerous driver than initially thought. He died because he was playing with luck way too much and had nothing to back up his position, when Lady Fortuna turned away from him. He almost killed two passengers...
I have very little respect for him.
I dispense respect when it is due, and not just based on the fact that some dangerous person has died. And that is just common sense...
Oops, "common sense" the wrong term again.

Sorry, didn't know you knew the man well enough to send your disrespects.

I agree he had something coming to him...if he were neighbor I'd be knocking on that door, forsure. And if he'd lived...he deserved someone to straighten him since apparently the PD hadn't.

But from reading a few articles doesn't mean I have any place to be disrespectful. I thought that was common sense, my mistake.

Last edited by HOMER350; 11-19-19 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rak305 (11-20-19)

Quick Reply: Is this an IS? :(