Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this an IS? :(

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...8dZt6lSWulBvzo
Old 11-17-19, 06:59 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

if you are talking about the photo of that black car (or rather what was left of it), then yes, it was an IS in f sport configuration. Seats look identical to mine, and so do rear lights. F sport badge and the side skirts also look identical..
Poor car...

“Off-duty rookie firefighter Kenneth Larkin of Ladder Co. 10 was listed in extremely critical condition after he landed on the southbound side of the FDR, where he somehow avoided getting run down by another car, cops said. His girlfriend Amanda Remy, 25, was also sent sailing from the speeding Lexus and taken with him to Bellevue Hospital, police said.”
looks like at least 2 were not wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited by sunamer; 11-17-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 07:16 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Crazy news to wake up to... prayers to those involved...
Old 11-17-19, 09:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

It looks like a 2014-2016 IS350 F Sport.

Wow...what carnage. No doubt a tragedy and I hope the 2 survivors pull through...but also reinforces the fact that racing belongs on the track...not the streets.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
athanato (11-17-19), Jazzrock (11-17-19), RageRacerM (11-17-19)
Old 11-17-19, 09:43 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Terrible! So, so sad.
Old 11-17-19, 10:57 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Most of the damage to the passenger compartment is probably due to extrication effort done to the car...
Old 11-17-19, 12:42 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

If you play a stupid game you win a stupid prize, this is what insurance companies use as an excuse to jack up our rates.
Race on the track, drive on the road.
The following users liked this post:
sunamer (11-17-19)
Old 11-17-19, 02:08 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by athanato
If you play a stupid game you win a stupid prize, this is what insurance companies use as an excuse to jack up our rates.
Race on the track, drive on the road.
it is not an excuse, if the rate of claims for a particular model goes up. Instead, it is a legitimate reason to up the rates. Higher risk dictates a higher premium. It is just how financial/insurance business operates.
It is either that everyone need to subside those, or only drivers within that group that will be paying that.
Old 11-17-19, 08:56 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
it is not an excuse, if the rate of claims for a particular model goes up. Instead, it is a legitimate reason to up the rates. Higher risk dictates a higher premium. It is just how financial/insurance business operates.
It is either that everyone need to subside those, or only drivers within that group that will be paying that.
I get what you are saying and I am not in complete disagreement but they totally ignore the driving record of good drivers that would not drive irresponsibly on the road in said car.
Old 11-17-19, 10:14 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Unhappy

Originally Posted by athanato
I get what you are saying and I am not in complete disagreement but they totally ignore the driving record of good drivers that would not drive irresponsibly on the road in said car.
In my case (anecdotal evidence, I know), they at least took into account the length of the driving record. My US driving record started in 2016, so since than, they dropped my rate from 142/m in the first year, to 102/m in the second, and then to about 82/m in the third... I did not have a single ticket for anything, no collisions, nothing.
So, I think they do take that into account... Trouble is - there are way too many idiot drivers who we pay for collectively.
Since statistics do show that drivers are becoming more and more distracted, and more and more collisions happen due to that, someone has to pay for that...and unfortunately for us, it is ...us who are paying..hence the rate increases all the time ((
Another reason - there are about 20% of drivers on the roads of America, who have no insurance whatsoever... so, we also pay for them as well, when they collide with someone insured.

Last edited by sunamer; 11-17-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-17-19, 10:59 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
In my case (anecdotal evidence, I know), they at least took into account the length of the driving record. My US driving record started in 2016, so since than, they dropped my rate from 142/m in the first year, to 102/m in the second, and then to about 82/m in the third... I did not have a single ticket for anything, no collisions, nothing.
So, I think they do take that into account... Trouble is - there are way to many idiot drivers who we pay for collectively.
Since statistics do show that drivers are becoming more and more distracted, and more and more collisions happen due to that, someone has to pay for that...and unfortunately for us, it is ...us who is paying..hence the rate increases all the time ((
Another reason - there are about 20% of drivers on the roads of America, who have no insurance whatsoever... so, we also pay for them as well, when they collide with someone insured.
Totally agree. I have uninsured motorist on my family's policy due to the bozos driving around with no insurance. Plenty of bozos driving with insurance as well.
No offence to Bozo The Clown.
Old 11-18-19, 08:41 AM
evident
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Thought cops would be better than this, but this underscores the fact that they can do dumb stuff too.
Old 11-18-19, 12:22 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

If anyone has driven on FDR they know that road has sharp turns. Couldn't imagine the speed they were traveling at for a car to dismantle like that .....prayers to those involved
Old 11-18-19, 12:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That cop could've hurt other innocent drivers. What a juvenile. I mean if you're signing up to be a cop, you theoretically should want to uphold the law.

If survived, he would've likely served a very long prison sentence for killing or harming his passengers.

Don't race, folks. It's not worth it. Your (our) cars aren't fast and will never be fast. Street cars will always be big sloppy heavy beasts no matter the make model brand or mods. Fast enough to kill but not fast enough to actually be fast. Use the testosterone somewhere else.
Old 11-18-19, 02:36 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Tragic.

I really want to know how fast they were going. It doesn't take as fast as most of us think for a bad wreck, even a fatal one. Trying to wrap my head around what exactly happened there. The hood is almost spotless.

I did 40-45 mpg tops almost head-on into a guard rail when I was younger. Guard rail bent a few feet and I bounced off it to the right (rail was on the right side of the road) so technically better than concrete. Engine was pushed so far back to the cabin the key while in the ignition was turned into the shape of an S. Car obviously totaled (1994 Lexus SC300). Big heavy front end on that car. Multiple bone fractures, etc. etc.

Point is.....doesn't take much! I was going under 45 mph.
Drive safe folks. I like the reminder of the responsibility we have out there on the road.

Quick Reply: Is this an IS? :(