IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ECU not communicating with aftermarket TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 08:33 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ECU not communicating with aftermarket TPMS sensors

Costco sold me DILL sensors when I bought my winter tires, and they were unable to get the pressures to display on my dash. I recently bought an Ateq Quickset and confirmed that the correct ID's are registered in the ECU. Has anyone else bought these sensors and had a problem with them? Ateq claims that the ID's may be outside of the acceptable range for the 3IS, but I have no idea what the acceptable ID range is.

Last edited by dteskmo; 11-25-19 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 12:56 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dteskmo
Costco sold me DILL sensors when I bought my winter tires, and they were unable to get the pressures to display on my dash. I recently bought an Ateq Quickset and confirmed that the correct ID's are registered in the ECU. Has anyone else bought these sensors and had a problem with them? Ateq claims that the ID's may be outside of the acceptable range for the 3IS, but I have no idea what the acceptable ID range is.
I have ITM sensors on my summer wheels and I also have the Ateq tool. My pressures only show on the dash about 50% of the time. I know I have the right values entered. I’m used to it now (been around 4 yrs now)
Old 11-25-19, 02:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Does the TPMS light come on the dash to indicate there is an issue?
It's be mentioned on the forum that there are a number of aftermarket sensors that can be programmed to the car, but do not show the live pressure.
However, they all keep the TPMS light off unless the system detects a low tire...and the light will then come on.
It's almost like those cars that have TPMS, but don't have any pressure display. The light will come on if there's an issue, but that's about it.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (11-25-19)
Old 11-25-19, 02:17 PM
dteskmo
Driver

The TPMS light is on. A scan of the sensors showed the batteries are OK and showed the correct pressures. I'm wondering now if the ECU is locked. Last winter I had a tire go flat while driving, and there was no warning until the steering got screwy.
Old 11-25-19, 02:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Good news is you can't lock the TPMS ECU.
If the TPMS light is on then likely there is a trouble code stored in the system.
It could be something as simple as one (or more) of the sensors was not programmed to the car properly...I'm assuming the sensors are compatible with the car.

I have no TPMS sensors in my winter wheels...so usually after 20 minutes of driving my TPMS light comes on (it's off for the first 20 minutes)...if I continue driving long enough, then it starts to blink.
Honestly I don't even notice it anymore.
So if you start your car and the TPMS light is on right away, then there is a trouble code that will tell you exactly what the issue is.
I think the only way to retrieve the code is with the Techstream software though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
dteskmo (11-25-19), Jazzrock (11-25-19)
Old 11-25-19, 03:43 PM
dteskmo
Driver

When I started the car tonight, the warning light turned off quickly and stayed off! Still no pressures showing, so maybe you’re right that these sensors won’t display it.
Old 11-25-19, 11:00 PM
1slowes250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tpms

Make sure those sensors are compatible with the vehicle, these Lexus use a high line TPMS sensor. Been there done that, had to have mine replaced such a pain and waste of money. I believe the ECU is locked and that's why it takes the programming tool to access the OBD port. That's the only way to reset it as far as I can tell.

Old 11-26-19, 10:31 AM
dteskmo
Driver

I reached out to Ateq and they indicated that Dill sensors will not display the pressures, even though the system is working:

"The 2015 Lexus IS350 uses an unusual system in order to regulate communication between the sensors in the tires and the vehicle’s ECU (electronic control module). To do this the vehicle employs sensors in the wheel well and door handles which transmit data to the ECU concerning the position of the sensor relative to the ECU. While Dill aftermarket programmable sensors will work, in so far as they will communicate a drop in tire pressure to the ECU (causing the TPMS light to become illuminated), they are unable to perfectly replicate the OE sensor’s protocol. Consequently the positional data is not properly transmitted to the ECU and the highline system is unable to actively display pressure. To correct this you would need to change the Dill sensors to OE sensors. Bare in mind however that this is only necessary if you wish to have the pressure actively displayed, otherwise the Dill sensors are perfectly fine."

I really like to know when there is even a small pressure drop, so it looks like I wasted my money on these Dill sensors and will have to buy OEM ones when I buy new winter tires Thank you all for your helpful feedback... I just love this forum!
Jazzrock (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 11:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I reached out to Ateq and they indicated that Dill sensors will not display the pressures, even though the system is working:

"The 2015 Lexus IS350 uses an unusual system in order to regulate communication between the sensors in the tires and the vehicle’s ECU (electronic control module). To do this the vehicle employs sensors in the wheel well and door handles which transmit data to the ECU concerning the position of the sensor relative to the ECU. While Dill aftermarket programmable sensors will work, in so far as they will communicate a drop in tire pressure to the ECU (causing the TPMS light to become illuminated), they are unable to perfectly replicate the OE sensor’s protocol. Consequently the positional data is not properly transmitted to the ECU and the highline system is unable to actively display pressure. To correct this you would need to change the Dill sensors to OE sensors. Bare in mind however that this is only necessary if you wish to have the pressure actively displayed, otherwise the Dill sensors are perfectly fine."

I really like to know when there is even a small pressure drop, so it looks like I wasted my money on these Dill sensors and will have to buy OEM ones when I buy new winter tires Thank you all for your helpful feedback... I just love this forum!
Thanks for the update...at least others looking at the Dill sensors will be informed in advance now.
I read through their explanation...it's kinda right and kinda wtf!
First, the system isn't unusual...personally I think it's pretty simple the way it's designed using minimal components...maybe simple means unusual to them??
The TPMS system has a dedicated TPMS ECU located in the rear of the vehicle...the system doesn't rely on the "vehicle's ECU"...which I assume they mean the Engine Control Module (ECM).
There are no sensors in the door handles for the TPMS system...just the Touch sensors to unlock/lock the doors. There are oscillators in the front doors to detect the Smart key, but they are for that system, not the TPMS system.
There are sensors in the wheel wells...but just the front left and rear left...they only use 2 sensors to detect all 4 TPMS sensors in the wheels.
The rest of their comments about the Dill sensors seen to be accurate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
dteskmo (11-26-19), Jazzrock (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 12:46 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I usually set my tire pressures to 38/38 to compensate for the change in temperatures. I found that if the module sees under about 32psi (may be different than what you're actually measuring with a gauge) the light will go on. If you have techstream itll show you what the computer sees.
dteskmo (11-26-19)
Old 11-26-19, 07:28 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Does the TPMS light come on the dash to indicate there is an issue?
It's be mentioned on the forum that there are a number of aftermarket sensors that can be programmed to the car, but do not show the live pressure.
However, they all keep the TPMS light off unless the system detects a low tire...and the light will then come on.
It's almost like those cars that have TPMS, but don't have any pressure display. The light will come on if there's an issue, but that's about it.

Funny you say that, after getting my 2IS winter wheels on the car with 2IS TPMS sensors it has yet to complain that it cannot read the TPMS.
Old 11-27-19, 04:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by athanato
Funny you say that, after getting my 2IS winter wheels on the car with 2IS TPMS sensors it has yet to complain that it cannot read the TPMS.
The system and sensors the 2IS uses is completely different from the 3IS, so they are not compatible at all.
However, there are conditions that need to be met before the TPMS light will come on.
The most common condition is time...approx. 20 minutes to be specific.
My winter wheels have no TPMS sensors, but during the week when I drive the vehicle locally the TPMS light doesn't come on.
Usually on the weekend when I drive further, it does.
The TPMS ECU will "look for" the TPMS sensors for up to 20 minutes of continuous driving on a single key cycle before giving up and triggering the TPMS light.
So if your commute is 20 minutes or less, the TPMS light won't come on.
Or, if you have a longer than 20 minute commute, but make a stop during the drive where the vehicle is shut off, then that restarts the 20 minute countdown when you start the vehicle again.
Old 11-27-19, 09:26 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The system and sensors the 2IS uses is completely different from the 3IS, so they are not compatible at all.
However, there are conditions that need to be met before the TPMS light will come on.
The most common condition is time...approx. 20 minutes to be specific.
My winter wheels have no TPMS sensors, but during the week when I drive the vehicle locally the TPMS light doesn't come on.
Usually on the weekend when I drive further, it does.
The TPMS ECU will "look for" the TPMS sensors for up to 20 minutes of continuous driving on a single key cycle before giving up and triggering the TPMS light.
So if your commute is 20 minutes or less, the TPMS light won't come on.
Or, if you have a longer than 20 minute commute, but make a stop during the drive where the vehicle is shut off, then that restarts the 20 minute countdown when you start the vehicle again.
I know they use a diff freq for 3IS but I since my winter tires from the 2IS have one season left on them I was not going to rip them off just to replace the sensors, I'll replace them next winter when I get new blizaks.
It seems to take longer for my 2018 to pop the warning?, I say that because my 30-50min commutes have yet to trigger the warning...but I am not complaining.

What are compatible TPMS that report the realtime PSI so that they display on the cluster and I can clone my factory wheel stock TPMS IDs onto them?

Old 11-28-19, 05:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by athanato
I know they use a diff freq for 3IS but I since my winter tires from the 2IS have one season left on them I was not going to rip them off just to replace the sensors, I'll replace them next winter when I get new blizaks.
It seems to take longer for my 2018 to pop the warning?, I say that because my 30-50min commutes have yet to trigger the warning...but I am not complaining.

What are compatible TPMS that report the realtime PSI so that they display on the cluster and I can clone my factory wheel stock TPMS IDs onto them?
In regards to the time, the speed is also a factor.
For instance if you start the car and let it idle stationary for an hour the light won't come on either.
If your 30-50 minute commute also involves a lot of stop and go traffic, then this will extend that time frame that it looks for the sensors.
Usually for me a 20 minute drive includes about 10 minutes to get to the 404 and about 10 minutes driving on it at speed and then the light will trigger.
If it's stop and go traffic, I can usually make it onto the 401 east (or west) and get a couple exits and then the light comes on...at that point its about 25-30 minutes that have passed.
Old 12-02-19, 08:23 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I just got the winter setup installed and I tried program the new sensors using Techstream with no luck (error when trying to program the new IDs). Since the winter setup was installed, I have had no dash light warning (even after driving for over an hour) but the individual pressures are not indicated. I purchased the sensors used from another CL member. I have the following questions:

1. Can anyone indicate the brand of these sensors (photo below). Maybe that will clarify my issue?
2. For those that say some aftermarket sensors do not show individual pressure but will activate a warning light if there is a low pressure, did you program the new sensor IDs to the vehicle? My ECU still has the summer IDs stored. Is the vehicle automatically recognizing a different set of sensors?
3. When trying to program the new sensors, I received an error in the Techstream wizard (see photo below). There was also no time limit displayed when I was inputing the new IDs. Am I don't something wrong?

Photo of the TPMS sensors I purchased from a CL member.

Error message in Techstream wizard after inputing the 4th sensor ID.

No time limit shown under the "Registered Tires" line.

No TPMS warning light on dash but also no tire pressure readouts.

Quick Reply: ECU not communicating with aftermarket TPMS sensors