IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

18 x 8.5 up front

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 10:44 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Sasnuke, sorry to bug you again but i was wondering if you knew how a squared setup with that +35mm offset on 8.5" rims or even 9" rims would clear the front calipers. I understand all the offset now when increasing the tire size and that suspension on the inside but I also notcied those calipers are like an 1/8" maybe clear of the rim with the stock 225/40/18 and 45 offset 8" stock wheels. would 8.5"and 9" still clear the front caliper? I'm trying to acheive a square setup with a flush look so I can also rotate my tires instead of buying 2 new tires every 1.5 years lol.
Old 01-01-20, 03:09 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley85
Hi Sasnuke, sorry to bug you again but i was wondering if you knew how a squared setup with that +35mm offset on 8.5" rims or even 9" rims would clear the front calipers. I understand all the offset now when increasing the tire size and that suspension on the inside but I also notcied those calipers are like an 1/8" maybe clear of the rim with the stock 225/40/18 and 45 offset 8" stock wheels. would 8.5"and 9" still clear the front caliper? I'm trying to acheive a square setup with a flush look so I can also rotate my tires instead of buying 2 new tires every 1.5 years lol.
The offset does play a part in clearing the calipers, but it also comes down to spoke design. I have a set of 20x8.5 +35 that do not clear the front calipers, but others have installed 8 and 8.5 +40 rims that did clear the caliper...just simply due to spoke design.
An 18x8.5 or 9 at +35 rim is most likely to clear the caliper. Even if the clearance is 1/8 inch, since the dimension doesn't change while driving, it doesn't matter if it's 1/8 or 3/4 of an inch...if it clears it clears.
Old 01-05-20, 09:22 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Sasnuke,

Will this fit without issues? I'm just not a fan of spacers.

Old 01-05-20, 10:54 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Sasnuke,

Will this fit without issues? I'm just not a fan of spacers.
By the numbers those rims should fit. Looking at the actual rim design, it looks like the center is thick and the spokes curve back inwards towards the rivets.
From the photo it looks like the spokes may run into the brake calipers, but it's had to say without seeing the back of the center of the rim...it may have a thick plate and clear the calipers...or it may not.
Old 01-07-20, 07:48 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
By the numbers those rims should fit. Looking at the actual rim design, it looks like the center is thick and the spokes curve back inwards towards the rivets.
From the photo it looks like the spokes may run into the brake calipers, but it's had to say without seeing the back of the center of the rim...it may have a thick plate and clear the calipers...or it may not.
Appreciate the response, Sasnuke! I'm concerned about the 30mm offset since it's outside the OEM spec. I really like this wheel style but if it's going to cause some issues, I'll look somewhere else.
Old 01-07-20, 07:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Appreciate the response, Sasnuke! I'm concerned about the 30mm offset since it's outside the OEM spec. I really like this wheel style but if it's going to cause some issues, I'll look somewhere else.
The +30 offset is not a big deal at all.
The front F Sport spec is +45 on an 18x8 rim.
If you go up to an 18x8.5 +30, it will simply flush the wheel with the fender.
At stock height you'll be fine. If you lower it on coilovers then you have control of how low/high you set them to clear.
The only thing that concerned me about those rims was the spoke design...if the spokes taper backwards too much they won't clear the front calipers. The rear would be fine.
Old 01-07-20, 08:51 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

The +30 offset is not a big deal at all.
The front F Sport spec is +45 on an 18x8 rim.
If you go up to an 18x8.5 +30, it will simply flush the wheel with the fender.
At stock height you'll be fine. If you lower it on coilovers then you have control of how low/high you set them to clear.
The only thing that concerned me about those rims was the spoke design...if the spokes taper backwards too much they won't clear the front calipers. The rear would be fine.
This video shows the back of this wheel -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yya...ature=youtu.be

I might be going with 19x8.5 square setup .. same specs still +30mm is available on this size.

Last edited by s3v3n; 01-07-20 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 10:57 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

This video shows the back of this wheel -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yya...ature=youtu.be

I might be going with 19x8.5 square setup .. same specs still +30mm is available on this size.
The rim in the video had a thick backplate, which is good for clearance, but it was also an 18x10.5 +22...so a thick backplate was expected at those specs.
If they have a 19 available, that would be a better option for sure.
The following users liked this post:
s3v3n (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 11:03 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

The rim in the video had a thick backplate, which is good for clearance, but it was also an 18x10.5 +22...so a thick backplate was expected at those specs.
If they have a 19 available, that would be a better option for sure.
I'm also asking them to confirm before ordering. Thanks again Sasnuke!
Old 01-08-20, 12:17 PM
aryahaji
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Sasnuke
Currently on stock suspension running stock staggered setup on my '16 is300 f-sport. If I want to go to a square setup with the TSW Sebring Wheels would a +30 offset result in the wheels being flush if I don't want to go the route of adding spacers? Also if I wanted to put on RSR down springs in the future would that have any impact assuming I have those wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (255/35/18). Additionally I haven't found those wheels with the proper 60.1 mm hub for fitment. Everything I have seen has been larger so in that case would I use hubcentric rings to get it to the proper fitment? Sorry if these are noob questions. I'm new to the car scene and still learning and want to start modding my car more. Also lastly if going to a square setup are gsf/rcf bushings or rrracing usrs needed in regard to helping with inner tire tread wear or is that specifically in relation to be used to help with staggered setups?
Old 01-08-20, 12:50 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aryahaji
@Sasnuke
Currently on stock suspension running stock staggered setup on my '16 is300 f-sport. If I want to go to a square setup with the TSW Sebring Wheels would a +30 offset result in the wheels being flush if I don't want to go the route of adding spacers? Also if I wanted to put on RSR down springs in the future would that have any impact assuming I have those wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (255/35/18). Additionally I haven't found those wheels with the proper 60.1 mm hub for fitment. Everything I have seen has been larger so in that case would I use hubcentric rings to get it to the proper fitment? Sorry if these are noob questions. I'm new to the car scene and still learning and want to start modding my car more. Also lastly if going to a square setup are gsf/rcf bushings or rrracing usrs needed in regard to helping with inner tire tread wear or is that specifically in relation to be used to help with staggered setups?
​​​​@aryahaji here's my thoughts on your questions:
1. If I want to go to a square setup with the TSW Sebring Wheels would a +30 offset result in the wheels being flush if I don't want to go the route of adding spacers? Yes, the wheels will be flush...but that would be the max you would want to go.
2. Also if I wanted to put on RSR down springs in the future would that have any impact assuming I have those wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (255/35/18). The Michelins have square thick sidewalls, you should be ok still, but it will be getting close.
3. Additionally I haven't found those wheels with the proper 60.1 mm hub for fitment. You likely will not...common bore sizes are 72 or 73mm
4. Everything I have seen has been larger so in that case would I use hubcentric rings to get it to the proper fitment? Yes, most times you need the hub centric rings unless the rims are made to order, or just happen to come in a 60.1mm hub bore.
5. Also lastly if going to a square setup are gsf/rcf bushings or rrracing usrs needed in regard to helping with inner tire tread wear or is that specifically in relation to be used to help with staggered setups? The bushings would be for inner tire wear alone...regardless if square or staggered wheels. I would suggest the GSF/RCF bushings if the vehicle is your daily driver.
aryahaji (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 12:58 PM
aryahaji
Driver School Candidate

1. If I want to go to a square setup with the TSW Sebring Wheels would a +30 offset result in the wheels being flush if I don't want to go the route of adding spacers? Yes, the wheels will be flush...but that would be the max you would want to go.
2. Also if I wanted to put on RSR down springs in the future would that have any impact assuming I have those wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (255/35/18). The Michelins have square thick sidewalls, you should be ok still, but it will be getting close.
3. Additionally I haven't found those wheels with the proper 60.1 mm hub for fitment. You likely will not...common bore sizes are 72 or 73mm
4. Everything I have seen has been larger so in that case would I use hubcentric rings to get it to the proper fitment? Yes, most times you need the hub centric rings unless the rims are made to order, or just happen to come in a 60.1mm hub bore.
5. Also lastly if going to a square setup are gsf/rcf bushings or rrracing usrs needed in regard to helping with inner tire tread wear or is that specifically in relation to be used to help with staggered setups? The bushings would be for inner tire wear alone...regardless if square or staggered wheels. I would suggest the GSF/RCF bushings if the vehicle is your daily driver.
Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate your help. This cleared lots of things up for me!
Old 01-08-20, 07:37 PM
aryahaji
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to ask if I wanted less of a risk of rubbing on rsr downs what tires would you suggest that are comparable to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. And if I decide to stick with those tires would a +35 offset on rsr downs with those tires be fine and maybe a little safer than going with +30?
Old 01-09-20, 04:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aryahaji
Forgot to ask if I wanted less of a risk of rubbing on rsr downs what tires would you suggest that are comparable to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. And if I decide to stick with those tires would a +35 offset on rsr downs with those tires be fine and maybe a little safer than going with +30?
If you do get +35 wheels, then you can use whatever tire brand you want even with the RSR Downs...with the appropriately sized tires of course.
As the offset number gets larger, the wheel starts to move inward in the wheel well. While a +30 would be flush with the fender, a +35 will move the wheel inwards 5mm, which will actually give you more clearance at the fender for whatever tires you want.
aryahaji (01-09-20)
Old 01-09-20, 08:36 AM
aryahaji
Driver School Candidate

If you do get +35 wheels, then you can use whatever tire brand you want even with the RSR Downs...with the appropriately sized tires of course.
As the offset number gets larger, the wheel starts to move inward in the wheel well. While a +30 would be flush with the fender, a +35 will move the wheel inwards 5mm, which will actually give you more clearance at the fender for whatever tires you want.
Ok so now I'm confused because I just saw something that said you can get multiple tire sizes for a 18 x 8.5 wheel. What tire size would be ideal, how do I know what size to go with. For reference I used this site. https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/t...dth-calculator

I assumed it would be a 255/35/18 because that is what the stock size is for the rear rims so I figured if im going square I could just do that all around. Would there be a difference in tire size depending if im on stock susp or rsr downs

Sorry for all the questions especially if they are novice, I really appreciate all of your help!

Last edited by aryahaji; 01-09-20 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 18 x 8.5 up front