IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

18 x 8.5 up front

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 01:54 PM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow 18 x 8.5 up front

Just learning about offsets, sizing etc. But wondering if anyone can help with will the stock 18 x 8.5 rims fit up front on 17' is200t f-sport? And would it be better just to go with completely new rims if I want to go square instead of staggered. I wanna be able to rotate my tires between all 4. I will eventually have adj. coil overs so will this effect what I should do as well? Any support much appreciated. Thnx
Old 12-10-19, 01:56 PM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

sorry I meant to put I want to run same size rear tires and wheels in the front as well. Would also not mind going wider than 8.5" if I can clear the fenders up front and in the back.
Old 12-10-19, 03:00 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Yes you can with no issues. I run 18x8.5 front and rear with no issues, even lowered.
The following users liked this post:
wesley85 (12-10-19)
Old 12-11-19, 01:31 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

if you go wider, say by an inch, you'll need to make sure the offset of your aftermarket rims is roughly 10 more than the factory rims to ensure good fitment.
Old 12-11-19, 06:10 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are several offset calculators available on websites that can compare the stock setup to new options, like running and 8x18.5 on the front.
Old 12-11-19, 07:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You can go up to a 9 inch on the front with a proper offset and no issues. At 9.5 inches the offset has to be fairly precise and your tire choice spot on to not have any issues...it's a gamble at that width if everything will clear just fine.
And yes the rear F Sport 18x8.5 rims will fit on the front.
You could even go with 19x9 or 19x8.5 if you're getting aftermarket wheels.
Old 12-11-19, 07:39 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You can go up to a 9 inch on the front with a proper offset and no issues. At 9.5 inches the offset has to be fairly precise and your tire choice spot on to not have any issues...it's a gamble at that width if everything will clear just fine.
And yes the rear F Sport 18x8.5 rims will fit on the front.
You could even go with 19x9 or 19x8.5 if you're getting aftermarket wheels.
Yea am gonna go aftermarket. I'm sure I will just end up wanting them after coil overs and other mods. Might as well save my oem and get some nice enkei ty-5's at the 9" width I want. Appreciate the feed back guys!!
Old 12-11-19, 08:13 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wesley85
Yea am gonna go aftermarket. I'm sure I will just end up wanting them after coil overs and other mods. Might as well save my oem and get some nice enkei ty-5's at the 9" width I want. Appreciate the feed back guys!!
You can run the TY-5 in 18x8.5 +35 or 19x8.5 +35 for a square setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
ISTreeFidi (12-11-19), Minitech (01-01-20)
Old 12-11-19, 08:16 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

You can run the TY-5 in 18x8.5 +35 or 19x8.5 +35 for a square setup.
Does +35 poke? I'm definately trying to get flush-poke with no rub.
Old 12-11-19, 08:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Does +35 poke? I'm definately trying to get flush-poke with no rub.
+35 won't poke...it's a few mm's short of flush. If you add a 5mm spacer that should pretty much flush it.
Unfortunately the next offset offered for TY-5 is +25, which is going to cause rubbing issues...unless you're prepared to camber the wheels slightly...which easier said than done on the front.
Old 12-11-19, 08:24 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

+35 won't poke...it's a few mm's short of flush. If you add a 5mm spacer that should pretty much flush it.
Unfortunately the next offset offered for TY-5 is +25, which is going to cause rubbing issues...unless you're prepared to camber the wheels slightly...which easier said than done on the front.
DO you like your spacers? Like no vibration or fitment issues? I was looking at the H and R fitted ones.
Old 12-11-19, 08:33 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

DO you like your spacers? Like no vibration or fitment issues? I was looking at the H and R fitted ones.
The spacers I have are custom made, as you won't find 6mm spacers out there.
I had them made to fit the hub, wheel bore, and bolt pattern exactly perfect, so no issues with vibration or anything.
I needed the exact mm to clear the brake calipers.
They don't have studs, I'm just using the stock studs and aftermarket nuts.
6mm is kinda borderline for using the original studs, so that's why I suggested 5mm.
You can find ready made spacers in 5mm that are basically designed the same way mine are...Check ebay. Getting them custom made is not expensive either...the pair cost me $80 CAD shipped to me door.
I'm changing my Summer wheels to something else this coming Spring, so the spacers will no longer be needed.
Old 12-11-19, 09:13 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

The spacers I have are custom made, as you won't find 6mm spacers out there.
I had them made to fit the hub, wheel bore, and bolt pattern exactly perfect, so no issues with vibration or anything.
I needed the exact mm to clear the brake calipers.
They don't have studs, I'm just using the stock studs and aftermarket nuts.
6mm is kinda borderline for using the original studs, so that's why I suggested 5mm.
You can find ready made spacers in 5mm that are basically designed the same way mine are...Check ebay. Getting them custom made is not expensive either...the pair cost me $80 CAD shipped to me door.
I'm changing my Summer wheels to something else this coming Spring, so the spacers will no longer be needed.
Yea I really like your setup to so far. I love the bronze Vertini's. Was thinking painting the stock rims bronze/copper color but steered away from it. Is there a particular reason everyone loves those RSR coil overs? I see eveyone with them in the forum.
Old 12-11-19, 11:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I really like your setup to so far. I love the bronze Vertini's. Was thinking painting the stock rims bronze/copper color but steered away from it. Is there a particular reason everyone loves those RSR coil overs? I see eveyone with them in the forum.
I think the popularity of the RSR Coilovers are that they offer they a wide range of adjustment on the shock and height adjustment of the spring at a reasonable price that provides a comfortable ride for daily driven vehicles...that seems to be the common feedback.
The BC coilovers with the Swift springs are also popular, but I'm guessing affordability plays a factor.
Plus RSR offers 2 types of coilovers...the Sport-i and Black (i think those are the names)...to suit your needs.
Old 12-11-19, 11:58 AM
wesley85
Driver School Candidate

I think the popularity of the RSR Coilovers are that they offer they a wide range of adjustment on the shock and height adjustment of the spring at a reasonable price that provides a comfortable ride for daily driven vehicles...that seems to be the common feedback.
The BC coilovers with the Swift springs are also popular, but I'm guessing affordability plays a factor.
Plus RSR offers 2 types of coilovers...the Sport-i and Black (i think those are the names)...to suit your needs.
Really appreciate all the feedback!!!! Thnx a bunch!!

Quick Reply: 18 x 8.5 up front