IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 Shifting in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 08:24 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default IS350 Shifting in traffic

I've noticed in traffic the shifting on my rear drive IS350 is a bit odd. It's not slipping, but its like it forces it into the next gear from 1-2 somewhat abruptly, and its a lot less smooth than 3-4 shifts.

It's only at low speeds, in traffic. The throttle can seem a bit, maybe jumpy, on occasion in the same conditions. In normal stop and go (not traffic) conditions and harder accelerations it is totally fine. So far I've chalked it up to having a quirky 8 speed transmission that likes to shift early. My car has roughly 19,000 miles. Any others experience this?
Old 12-21-19, 08:57 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The 8 speed tends to learn some weird behaviors over time. Highly recommend disconnecting the battery for a few minutes as a first step.
The following 3 users liked this post by BrettKA7:
jbbi (02-21-24), RussellTeo (07-08-24), V350 (12-21-19)
Old 12-21-19, 09:48 AM
V350
Pit Crew

I was afraid of that, since I know I'll lose all my radio settings.
The following users liked this post:
RussellTeo (07-08-24)
Old 12-21-19, 10:02 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
I was afraid of that, since I know I'll lose all my radio settings.
You don’t have to disconnect the battery. I don’t know why ppl do that...
In the engine bay fuse box, simply pull the ECTS fuse and EFI fuse for 5 minutes then put them back in.

Just don’t panic when the car doesn’t start the first time after doing this, completely normal, just wait a few seconds and start it again.

easiest and fastest way to reset the ECU and you lose no settings.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
RussellTeo (07-08-24), V350 (12-21-19)
Old 12-21-19, 10:37 AM
V350
Pit Crew

There are multiple fuses labeled EFI, which one is it?

Last edited by V350; 12-21-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-21-19, 10:47 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

EFI 1. (Main) 25amp
are u sure u don’t see a ECTS fuse? Look on the cover for the fuse box it should be labelled and ECTS should be there.

Last edited by NickCaesar; 12-21-19 at 10:53 AM.
RussellTeo (07-08-24)
Old 12-21-19, 10:52 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Sorry it’s ETCS, not ECTS

look where the 3 slots labelled “spare” are at the bottom to the right, the 10amp ETCS fuse is located a few spots above them...see it?
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
RussellTeo (07-08-24), V350 (12-21-19)
Old 12-23-19, 04:45 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Try playing around with your throttle application in traffic. using a touch more throttle (past this certain threshold) tends to smooth out the shifting. My other car, a Mazda, shifts a little roughly into second gear at around 1500RPM unless you bump up the RPM's to 2100+ a tiny bit.

If the jerky shifting is really bad could point towards a faulty transmission shift solenoid(s)
RussellTeo (07-08-24)
Old 12-23-19, 07:15 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Even my 6-speed shifts a bit "weird" from 1 to 2 compared to the other shifts. It's not as smooth and came across as abrupt when the car was brand-new. I have just learned to drive around it lol.
Old 12-23-19, 07:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LlamaLexus
This problem can be caused by improper fluid levels. Follow the procedure to check the fluid level or have the dealer check the fluid level.
A good idea. However, as my earlier post indicates, you also have to recognize the car has its quirks. It's important to note whether the car has always shifted the way it does, or whether the behavior is new.
Old 12-23-19, 08:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LlamaLexus
We cannot simply dismiss odd behavior as a quirk on a vehicle. If this quirk was common, we would see multiple complaints as this kind of behavior would be disruptive in stop and go transmission. Also, because these transmissions have a learning/adaptive function, it's possible that a problem can arise that was simply masked by the learned behavior, thus we can't rely on a new problem as not having previously existed: due to the software. If this was a dumb transmission, then your statement would be true.

Furthermore, low fluid and high levels of fluid are bad for the transmission due to low pressures and excessive heat with low, and frothing and poor lubrication in high fluid circumstances. Because this symptom can be seen in cases of low and high fluids, it can have devastating impacts, and it's simple to check, it is smartest to start at the most simple item to check that will also have the greatest impact if not checked. You can literally warm up the car in check mode (where you jumper pin 4 and 13) and remove the overflow plug without even lifting the car in under 10 minutes.
Sure. I agree with everything you are saying. However, at a mere 19,000 miles, I don't think OP's car is likely to need a fluid change yet. Yes, it is possible, but unlikely unless OP has some relevant information to indicate some "unusual" usage patterns, like driving up and down steep grades all the time for instance.

And with respect to the "dumb" statement, let's not pretend that the transmissions in the IS are the best-programmed ones out there. I found the AWD model's transmission to be a bit clunky at first, but over time I found myself liking it more. In retrospect, I have driven other cars since owning my IS with far easier transmissions to drive, and just took some time to learn my IS's. Just to give an example, so it doesn't sound like I am just making things up, I have rented a Jaguar XF 35t on Turo, and the ZF 8-speed in that car was simply unimpeachable in any regard. Nothing it does elicits a complaint. The Porsche PDK in the Macan was also phenomenal. I couldn't think of anything I would change about it - it was both smooth and fast. The 10-speed in the new Camaro SS, too, is an excellent transmission - it essentially drives like a 10-speed version of the ZF. It has very little paddle delay and crisp, yet smooth shifts. In comparison, the IS's transmissions do feel a bit dated. That's not to say they are bad - in fact, the 6-speed in particular is impressive considering it's over 10 years old yet still delivers quick shifts, and the 8-speed provides a nice dual personality between casual driving and sporting driving that the 6-speed can't. That said, neither of them is as smooth or quick as any of the examples I've listed above. So in other words, I think we all know the transmissions are good, but it's all relative - and relatively speaking, the IS's transmission offering are pretty weak, both in terms of performance and programming.

From day one, I've noticed the 1-to-2 shift in my IS 300 AWD "takes some getting used to". That is, it has always been a little sudden and has actually only improved as time has gone on, not gotten worse due to fluid. Whether the OP has a different issue has yet to be confirmed.
Old 12-23-19, 10:41 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

This "quirk" is actually somewhat common. Not all consider odd behavior. I've resolved this is normal for alot, if not all the 8 speeds. I've done some reading on the behaviors of the trans over the last couple years.

One thing to be sure of is your not in manual mode, or sport mode. Those are sure ways to have some weird shifting in traffic.
in normal auto mode I'm super smooth 95% of the time if not more, but then im in traffic +40 mins a day so my trans may be more learned than others.
Old 12-23-19, 12:43 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

The 8 speed in my car shifts smooth 99% of the time in stop and go traffic, only occasionally will I feel the shift between 1st and 2nd. Usually that's either while in sport mode due to I'm assuming torque convertor lock up, or if in normal mode under throttle while accelerating from a slow creep. It's pretty rare.
signdetres (01-24-20)
Old 12-23-19, 04:53 PM
V350
Pit Crew

It's not a major difference, and again its only when creeping along in traffic or similar conditions from a standstill. Only from 1st to second gear. It may be my perception of it. But it seems many in this post are reporting the trans having its quirks. It's not every time, nor is it shaking the whole car or something truly dramatic.
Old 01-24-20, 10:29 AM
V350
Pit Crew

FYI, I just got it back from service, and they can reset just the transmission computer using tech stream. I'll report back if it relearns traffic shifts

Quick Reply: IS350 Shifting in traffic