IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I did two small things that have made my 3IS a bit more fun (for me, YMMV)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 08:51 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I did two small things that have made my 3IS a bit more fun (for me, YMMV)

I did two small things that have made my 2017 IS300 FSport a bit more fun (note that I am not a gearhead).

1. I stopped using the ECO mode and use mainly the NORMAL mode. As my DD, I thought the ECO mode made the most sense.
I would toggle to the SPORT mode for fun. The way the SPORT mode holds the gears drove me crazy, especially on the on ramp.
The engine would rev like crazy, but the lower gears hold soooo long that there was not much acceleration. Anyway, I use mainly the NORMAL mode
and reserve the SPORT mode for the twistys.

2. I got new tires! They were needed, but the Michelin A/S Pilots are fantastic on the car IMHO. They change the driving feel a lot for me.
They feel nice and sticky!

The following users liked this post:
truu (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 08:56 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I did two small things that have made my 2017 IS300 FSport a bit more fun (note that I am not a gearhead).

1. I stopped using the ECO mode and use mainly the NORMAL mode. As my DD, I thought the ECO mode made the most sense.
I would toggle to the SPORT mode for fun. The way the SPORT mode holds the gears drove me crazy, especially on the on ramp.
The engine would rev like crazy, but the lower gears hold soooo long that there was not much acceleration. Anyway, I use mainly the NORMAL mode

2. I got new tires! They were needed, but the Michelin A/S Pilots are fantastic on the car IMHO. They change the driving feel a lot for me.
I love the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s but for the cost and tread-wear with the IS I’m looking into cheaper options. My rears are already gone in just 10k miles lol and that’s with even wear. I used the same tires on my G37S and loved them but the Pilot Super Sports were even MORE amazing.

Last edited by Flash5; 12-24-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 10:43 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you notice much difference of your MPG from Eco to Normal? I haven't really driven on normal.
Old 12-24-19, 10:44 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Next up, get some sway bars and ecu tune.
Old 12-24-19, 02:24 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I found ECO mode just makes the car dangerously unresponsive and provides no real fuel savings unless you are doing long stretches of highway driving. Even then, I never use it. I usually just rotate between normal and sport.

ECO would make more sense if the turbo 4 was 2.5L. Tune it to run the least amount of boost in ECO mode unless you're flooring it and have throttle response and transmission programming same as normal mode.

Last edited by m1919; 12-24-19 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-24-19, 05:50 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919
I found ECO mode just makes the car dangerously unresponsive and provides no real fuel savings unless you are doing long stretches of highway driving. Even then, I never use it. I usually just rotate between normal and sport.

ECO would make more sense if the turbo 4 was 2.5L. Tune it to run the least amount of boost in ECO mode unless you're flooring it and have throttle response and transmission programming same as normal mode.
I used ECO mode during a long road trip for one tank, and found that I actually got worse milage than when I used Sport Mode on my 250. The throttle response is terrible in ECO mode.
Old 12-25-19, 05:31 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

ECO mode = yuck
Found it interesting that if I turn off the car while in ECO mode, it will still be in ECO mode when I start the car. However, if I shut off in Sport mode, it will be in Normal when I start the car.
What’s up with that?
If ECO can be ‘sticky’, why not Sport?
Old 12-25-19, 07:46 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kj07xk
ECO mode = yuck
Found it interesting that if I turn off the car while in ECO mode, it will still be in ECO mode when I start the car. However, if I shut off in Sport mode, it will be in Normal when I start the car.
What’s up with that?
If ECO can be ‘sticky’, why not Sport?
Most likely because it’s not a good idea to be in sport mode when the car is cold haha. Running your engine and transmission really hard before they are both at normal operating temp will cause premature wear and possibly damage. If you could leave it in sport mode and it start in sport mode and you start driving, you wouldn’t be doing your engine and transmission any favors lol. I’d also imagine that some people wouldn’t mean to keep it in Sport mode and then they would forget and they would drive off in sport mode while the car is cold. That’s my hypothesis.
Old 12-25-19, 09:46 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Most likely because it’s not a good idea to be in sport mode when the car is cold haha. Running your engine and transmission really hard before they are both at normal operating temp will cause premature wear and possibly damage. If you could leave it in sport mode and it start in sport mode and you start driving, you wouldn’t be doing your engine and transmission any favors lol. I’d also imagine that some people wouldn’t mean to keep it in Sport mode and then they would forget and they would drive off in sport mode while the car is cold. That’s my hypothesis.
Makes sense. I believe in any car you're suppose to let your car warm up before you start driving it hard. Sport mode will force your car to stay in high RPMs which isn't recommended when your car is cold. It might be a protection mechanism that Lexus put in their car by having it start up in Eco mode.

Don't make fun of me because I use to own a Honda Civic Si. When the car is cold, it won't let me hit vtec. This is way Honda protects the owners from destroying their motors lol.
Old 12-25-19, 10:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
Makes sense. I believe in any car you're suppose to let your car warm up before you start driving it hard. Sport mode will force your car to stay in high RPMs which isn't recommended when your car is cold. It might be a protection mechanism that Lexus put in their car by having it start up in Eco mode.

Don't make fun of me because I use to own a Honda Civic Si. When the car is cold, it won't let me hit vtec. This is way Honda protects the owners from destroying their motors lol.
Well it only starts in ECO mode if you leave it in Eco mode otherwise the default is always normal mode. But yes I agree it’s a necessary precaution to keep people from causing damage to their drivetrain lol. That was a good call by Honda haha.
Old 12-25-19, 01:49 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

I haven’t noticed a difference in gas mileage between
ECO and NORMAL, but I’m not actually checking.

In cold weather, I end up switching to ECO until the engine warms up.
As we discussed here, the car vibrates and “launches”’from stoplights when it is
cold in the NORMAL mode. Switching to ECO until it warms eliminates that
quirk.
Old 12-26-19, 08:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I don't see a good use for Eco mode, unless you want to limit the output of the climate control system while leaving it in Auto mode. Sometimes in winter I use Eco mode when I am at a traffic light in order to limit the idle RPM, which gets up to 1100 or so RPM on really cold days and makes the car a bit loud lol. I have tried driving the car in Eco and hate it with a passion. It doesn't seem to do much, if anything, to improve MPG.
Old 12-26-19, 08:14 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
Have you notice much difference of your MPG from Eco to Normal? I haven't really driven on normal.
On my 350, I had identical fuel economy +/- 0.5 MPG over the last 5 fill ups. I stopped using Eco mode as well.
Old 12-26-19, 01:34 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I don't see a good use for Eco mode, unless you want to limit the output of the climate control system while leaving it in Auto mode. Sometimes in winter I use Eco mode when I am at a traffic light in order to limit the idle RPM, which gets up to 1100 or so RPM on really cold days and makes the car a bit loud lol. I have tried driving the car in Eco and hate it with a passion. It doesn't seem to do much, if anything, to improve MPG.

Yeah, as I said above, the ECO mode eliminates the high revving when its cold. Pretty much a "must" use of the ECO mode in cold climates.
Old 12-26-19, 08:42 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT

Sport mode used to bug me with holding the high rpms. I use the paddle shifters to shift up if I'm done in that gear and dont want to wait for the car to figure out I'm done accelerating.

I found no use for ECO either. It's nice in theory but it's not too practical on the IS350 and not notable changes in mpg. I can do just as well to save gas with my own throttle control in Normal mode if I wish.

ECO mode in my other 2.0 SUV the last 2 weeks is much better, however I think I'm done using that too as I haven't seen any significant change in mpg.

One thing about Sport mode...theres no better way to get the quickest drive out of the car. Cannot match with Manual or Normal mode.

Quick Reply: I did two small things that have made my 3IS a bit more fun (for me, YMMV)