Old 12-30-19, 10:46 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2020 is r.i.p?!?!?

This is a snippet I found on autowise.com

What’s Not in the New 2020 Lexus Lineup

05. 2020 IS

Although it’s lost much of its popularity over the years, the compact IS is expected to become cool again after the proposed makeover that’s just around the corner. However, that corner is still far away from MY 2020’s perspective. The IS’s sales have split in half since 2015 and the Japanese are hoping to stop the bleeding with the next-gen model that should replace the outgoing IS which dates back to 2013. Again, that won’t happen during model year 2020.

The new model is expected to arrive during the Spring or Summer of 2020 at the earliest, probably as an early 2021-year model. It’s also expected to revive the performance version of the compact sedan which we’ve had the opportunity to buy between 2007 and 2013.

At the moment, however, we’ve got a once-compelling but now definitely outdated compact luxury sedan that doesn’t even come cheap. At just shy of $40,000, the entry-level Lexus IS doesn’t exactly manage to beat its German rivals in terms of affordability although it is a few hundreds cheaper. Thing is, it fails to mimic the new BMW 3 Series or Mercedes-Benz C Class in every other way.

Performance-wise, the base Lexus IS 300 uses a 241-horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque 2.0L turbocharged inline-four mill paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. The IS 300 can also be opted with a thirsty 3.5L V6 which makes 260 ponies, but comes exclusively with an older 6-speed automatic transmission. At least it comes with a mandatory all-wheel drive.

The more expensive and powerful Lexus IS 350 and IS 350 F Sport are definitely the way to go. They make 311 horsepower by using the larger of two engines mentioned above. Again, both can be ordered in both the rear and all-wheel drive configurations, and their respective transmission choices remain predetermined as well. The F Sport adaptive dampers and stiffer suspension can be ordered with the turbo four IS 300 model too.

There’s also a possibility the company will kill off the compact executive car entirely in favor of the similarly positioned ES and a new batch of small crossovers like the aforementioned UX. We’ll have to wait and see how things unfold.
Old 12-30-19, 11:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

This article seems pointless. Yes, there is a 2020 IS, but it isn't an all-new design, which is what they are trying to say. Next!
Old 12-30-19, 11:47 AM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

No suprise, 3IS was big dissapointment from the beginning.
Old 12-30-19, 12:00 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
This article seems pointless. Yes, there is a 2020 IS, but it isn't an all-new design, which is what they are trying to say. Next!
Not really. If they only plan on making it “cool again” with a redesign and few modest F sport “power” accessories. They will continue to lose out to competitors. Because we all know that if the non 350 variants don’t get a modest boost in performance and or support it will continue to lag behind the competition. Since 2006 all you heard was “just get a 350” if that’s where they are going to put their support then they may as well scrap them all. Just my opinion. I like the brand just not the support. I own a Lexus just found what the writer was talking about interesting.
Old 12-30-19, 12:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthLex
Not really. If they only plan on making it “cool again” with a redesign and few modest F sport “power” accessories. They will continue to lose out to competitors. Because we all know that if the non 350 variants don’t get a modest boost in performance and or support it will continue to lag behind the competition. Since 2006 all you heard was “just get a 350” if that’s where they are going to put their support then they may as well scrap them all. Just my opinion. I like the brand just not the support. I own a Lexus just found what the writer was talking about interesting.
Well I don't think "RIP" is really going to happen, nor did I find the article interesting, since everything mentioned is already widely known. Just my take.
Old 12-30-19, 03:57 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, I have to agree with this statement:
”The more expensive and powerful Lexus IS 350 and IS 350 F Sport are definitely the way to go.”
Sure, Lexus has to make the lower powered vehicles to meet fleet average values, but it doesn’t mean you need to buy them.
I’ve found that if you always buy the biggest engine available, you won’t be disappointed.
Old 12-30-19, 04:33 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Well, I have to agree with this statement:
”The more expensive and powerful Lexus IS 350 and IS 350 F Sport are definitely the way to go.”
Sure, Lexus has to make the lower powered vehicles to meet fleet average values, but it doesn’t mean you need to buy them.
I’ve found that if you always buy the biggest engine available, you won’t be disappointed.
If that were true then Lexus would not have scrapped the IS F. Plus if there were not “less expensive” options Lexus would put themselves in a bad position to “compete” look at their biggest competitor BMWs.

3 series Series Available styles:
include M340i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), M340i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), 330i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), and 330i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Selling only the 350 would be like only selling the royal with cheese, large fries and Diet Coke only.
Old 12-30-19, 10:32 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

If that were true then Lexus would not have scrapped the IS F. Plus if there were not “less expensive” options Lexus would put themselves in a bad position to “compete” look at their biggest competitor BMWs.

include M340i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), M340i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), 330i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), and 330i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Selling only the 350 would be like only selling the royal with cheese, large fries and Diet Coke only.
Again, just because BMW has some 4-bangers available, doesn’t mean you need to buy one.
Even 3L, sheesh, lets get some real cars on the road.
Diet Coke? Yuck. See, again cutting corners. Get the real stuff.
An old quote, but still applicable: ‘Pleasure is measured in cubic inches, the more, the better’.
Old 12-31-19, 08:18 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Again, just because BMW has some 4-bangers available, doesn’t mean you need to buy one.
Even 3L, sheesh, lets get some real cars on the road.
Diet Coke? Yuck. See, again cutting corners. Get the real stuff.
An old quote, but still applicable: ‘Pleasure is measured in cubic inches, the more, the better’.
It’s not about the engine sizes. BMW is not the only one using 4 bangers most if not all manufactures are going that route. I use BMW because they are Lexus’s biggest competition and is often used as a comparison on this forum. It is about the options again much like your disappointment in only diet Coke having only one engine option is not appealing to all. To your point I did read that there is a possibility that Lexes would be using the 3 L engine that is in the supra. This would be great step forward as Steph Papadakis has pushed one of the engines to 1k HP.
Old 12-31-19, 11:04 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

BMW doesn't even look at the IS as a competitor lol.

Also, the G20 330i (which is their starting 3 series model) is quicker and more advanced than Lexus' top IS model, the IS350.

And lets not even start talking about the M340i...

The 4IS better be impressive, or they will see many more enthusiasts hitting the door.
Old 12-31-19, 11:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I feel like Lexus has given up on performance. They just want fashionable appliances now. My bet is they give us a 2.5L turbo that will be slightly faster than a 330 but won't match the M340. The current F models are pretty slow relative to their comp but very reliable. It's in their DNA to be like this.
Old 12-31-19, 12:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I feel like Lexus has given up on performance. They just want fashionable appliances now. My bet is they give us a 2.5L turbo that will be slightly faster than a 330 but won't match the M340. The current F models are pretty slow relative to their comp but very reliable. It's in their DNA to be like this.
Agreed. That is the most realistic guess. They won't make anything to match the M340.
Old 12-31-19, 12:55 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think they'll deliver something quicker than the 330i since that means they'll need to make sure the IS350 (or whatever they call it next gen), needs to be even quicker. But who knows.

The F30 and the 3IS had a pretty sizable difference in terms of power output for that generation and BMW is known to understate. I mean people are hitting uppers 3.8-3.9 seconds 0-60 times in the M340i and that is understated from what is actually expected for the vehicle. My point being, even if the 4IS matches 'power' in the new engine it just may not be enough to compete even with their starting 3 series.

Would it be nice to see the 4IS being a direct competition, sure. Do I think it will? Probably not, as it seems Lexus is more into the Luxury side of the business model.

Oh, and they better make it more 'lease friendly' as well! The residuals are wildly low and no one will lease at those rates.
Old 12-31-19, 12:59 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

I had a four cylinder, front wheel drive Mercedes CLA 250 that was fast. Not everyone has to own a six cylinder vehicle.
I'm perfectly fine with my four cylinder turbo IS F Sport. Is it as fast as my Benz was? No. I don't really care.
Something for everyone.
Old 12-31-19, 02:49 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I had a four cylinder, front wheel drive Mercedes CLA 250 that was fast. Not everyone has to own a six cylinder vehicle.
I'm perfectly fine with my four cylinder turbo IS F Sport. Is it as fast as my Benz was? No. I don't really care.
Something for everyone.
The CLA isn't much quicker than the IS200T, its nearly identical in terms of power output. Neither are fast by any means.

But that's outside the point, as far as the discussion goes it relates to the whole picture. Lexus isn't able to complete in almost any fields of their 'competitors'. It has the sharp looks and great reliability, that's all for now.

I stand by my point that the 4IS must be something extraordinary for it to bring its buyers back. My words are backed by the IS sales figures:

Quick Reply: 2020 is r.i.p?!?!?