IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Warranty claim denied due to dashcam hardwire and square winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-20, 01:52 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Just a heads up.. if you have modifications done like this, I would reverse them before bringing it to the dealer to avoid issues like this
The following 2 users liked this post by swaangin:
davyjordi (04-07-20), GR3Y5H3ART (01-26-20)
Old 01-19-20, 04:09 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Changing from staggered to squared or squared to staggered has been said to cause problems with some Lexus traction/brake electronics (I know on LS460/500s). So they could potentially have a case there. I would try going back to the factory wheels and have them check again.
Old 01-19-20, 07:01 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Changing from staggered to squared or squared to staggered has been said to cause problems with some Lexus traction/brake electronics (I know on LS460/500s). So they could potentially have a case there. I would try going back to the factory wheels and have them check again.
Didn't bother wasting my time. Went to another dealer, they inspected the car and found my left rear speed sensor harness somehow got severed about an inch where it enters the wheel hub.

Had my mechanic repair it so I'm at least running without dash lights until I wait on a proper replacement.

What's hilarious is that specific dealer I originally visited would actually have recommended a square winter wheel setup. I was running this square 225/40R18 setup for over a month and a half without issue. 225/40R18 vs the stock 255/35R18 on the rears are something like 0.4% larger rolling diameter, not sure this would cause any issue with traction or ABS, especially on a RWD car.

Originally Posted by swaangin
Just a heads up.. if you have modifications done like this, I would reverse them before bringing it to the dealer to avoid issues like this
I learned my lesson on the dash cam hardwire setup, I did revert the fusebox to stock when I dropped in at Lexus Downtown.

Last edited by m1919; 01-19-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 03:40 AM
EastTNLex
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for mentioning the dashcam hardwire issue...I'll keep this in the back of my mind for future servicing issues.
Old 01-20-20, 08:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Maybe on the LS this was an issue, but the IS hasn't seen such a problem even with the vast array of wheel combinations that have been put on it, including oversized wheels.
Old 01-20-20, 08:47 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I am glad that your issue was resolved without having to revert to "Lexus Canada" - To be honest with you, this will likely be my last Lexus I buy in this country because of them. They are a JOKE to be honest and will try any excuse to deny an owner to install accessories unless it is bought from them, which is virtually nothing but stupid paint film, block heater and a deck spoiler. If any of you have time on your hand, just go to Lexus.com versus Lexus.ca and look at their configuration and the options they have....especially on the RC. It is a joke that Lexus Canada offers nothing to allow a customer to build the car the way he/she wants. In Canada, if you get an RC350, you will be getting the RC350 F Sport AWD - That is it! You get to chose the color outside and inside (and even the interior colors are limited compared to the US) and whether you want a paint film on your front hood....What a joke!

In the US, you can order your car with lowering springs (imagine...order it, not an accessory), and yet, Lexus Canada will not make these available despite being stuck with this gawd ugly wheel gap in the front - They will not allow you to install aftermarket parts because they'll void the warranty so then why not make the parts available and have your tech install them?!?! Surely, if Lexus is building cars in their assembly plant and it is good enough to be installed, why not allow here?!?! Don't give me the crap about the radar and self autonomous crap.

I will either drive my car to the US and have lowering springs installed their and screw the warranty and I'll take my service there as they are just a few hours away and the same distance than my dealer anyway, or just ditch the car when I get a chance and buy another vehicle...I will wait and see what the Acura TLX Type-S will offer when it comes out...otherwise, I'll go with an Audi or something.

Sorry for the rant, but Lexus Canada is just doing everything they can to ruin the experience for their owners - If they don't want to be in the car business and make a profit, just close up shop and continue doing your yatch and moon vehicles that they seem to be more interested in doing.....

OP - Thanks for the advice about reverting to the original state because going to the dealer - I'll make sure I take the box of Kleenex from the car in case they claim that that could be the cause for an ABS faulty sensor
I posted something that speaks to this in another thread, who knows where, so I'll offer up the info again.
The model selection we get here in Canada is not the best, I would agree with you there, but it comes as a trickle down effect based on market demand.
In Japan, the home of Toyota, they develop all the vehicles for the planet...essentially.
Based on that, each market selects the vehicles they want to offer to their population.
In Canada we get short changed a little because our market is small...I realize someone is saying to themselves "Canada's market is small? Whaaat?!?!"...I know, but look at the amount of vehicles that are sold in California compared to all of Canada.
The US takes the models they want from Japan...and by models I mean the model of vehicle and the option packages it comes with.
In Canada we select from what the US took from Japan...so we will never have a vehicle that is not offered in the US, and in fact we will always have less than the US in terms of offerings.
Also, some of those accessories you mention usually comes from local suppliers, so they aren't really made by Lexus...hence the issue with offering them north of the border.
In Canada, let's say you wanted an engine strut tower brace (for example), Toyota Canada would have to source it from a Canadian supplier than can provide the product to a dealer in BC all the way across to Newfoundland...and chances are the supplier is in Ontario.
The logistics would be an issue as we don't have that massive infrastructure like the US.
As for the option packages, based on market demand/surveys, the preference would be for an AWD vehicle versus a RWD vehicle...that's not to say there isn't a demand for RWD vehicles, but looking at the business end of it to say how many RWD's would we sell versus AWD's, it's clear why most of the models are offered in mainly, or only, AWD configuration. There are models where there is no choice, like the RCF/GSF/LC/LFA, so that's what we get...RWD.
I'm sure Lexus Canada would like to offer all the models/options like the US, but from a business standpoint the market just isn't there to support it.

As an alternative, if you live close to the border, you could buy your vehicle in the US, exactly how you like it configured, and drive it back home to Canada.
Lexus Canada will still honor the warranty, just like when a Canadian vehicle is in the US and needs warranty work, Lexus in the US will also honor the warranty...it's really just paperwork at that point.
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 09:42 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ You bring really good points and I get that the market is smaller in Canada...Here are a few of my points though. Why make the IS250 RWD available in Canada? I would think that a sedan would make more sense as an AWD over a coupe that many will buy as a summer driver. The option of buying is the US is one that I will strongly consider next time....I failed to do my research properly this time but I have learned something for sure. As far as the supplier, I get that maybe they can't find a Canadian market to designed OEM lowering spring for our market given the low take rate...That being said, why would they prevent customers who would be willing to buy the OEM certified parts (by Lexus USA) to be installed at our Cnadian dealers by Lexus certified technicians? So they don't have to make the part available, just allow the dealers to install them if the customer provides the said part.

I appreciate your valid and constructive points - I appreciate this level of productive and meaningful conversations as I am sure that I am not the only Canadian who would love to see their RC lowered.

I am aware that one can buy parts like RS-R springs but another thread in the RC section talked about how that part didn't fit properly and was an issue. I know that coilovers are an option but again, a lot more expensive but more importantly, I am not comfortable having non_lexus certified technicians touch my vehicle. Where I live, specialized shops that deal with these are rare so I don't want to make things worse by installing non-OEM part at non certified locations.
Old 01-22-20, 05:55 AM
MJA74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
In that case, the issue could have actually been related to what they claimed it was. Window was rattling, and the window was tinted by a third party. My windows were tinted at the dealer, and I've had no such problems. Did you try telling your tint installer about the problem?

Hope your Benz is working out well for you...
A different Lexus dealer fixed the issue and said it was not the tint they also never fixed my moldy AC which is known issue. They just kept cleaning it my actual mech told what the issue was. Lexus dealers in my area suck that’s why I got the MB for the wife. MB has been good but it’s german after all which we all know how realizability goes but the MB dealer has been great with the little issues I had.
Old 01-26-20, 08:59 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

agreed, i was thinking of hard-wiring my rear dash cam but may be more trouble than its worth if any Warranty issues arise
Old 01-27-20, 10:00 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
agreed, i was thinking of hard-wiring my rear dash cam but may be more trouble than its worth if any Warranty issues arise
I have my radar detector hard wired for about a year, everything is all good. (2015 IS)
Old 01-28-20, 08:10 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Probably redo my configuration to stealth it a bit more when I get an external battery setup for this dashcam.
Old 01-28-20, 08:39 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I have my DashCam hardwired on my LC and had it hardwired on my ISF. Never had a dealer issue

Lou
Old 04-07-20, 02:31 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

I have my radar detector hard wired for about a year, everything is all good. (2015 IS)

did you take it in to the dealer after for any Warranty work + warranty related where they would have seen it hard-wired?