IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Warranty claim denied due to dashcam hardwire and square winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 01:14 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Warranty claim denied due to dashcam hardwire and square winter wheels

The car started throwing ABS, VSC and traction control dash lights with BSM and PCS also disabled. This started last Saturday after the car sat overnight Friday. My friend had some time to scan the codes and found right rear speed sensor is reporting open circuit.

Had an appointment for service at Ken Shaw Lexus today and they would not carry out repair after diagnosis based on flimsy excuses trying to blame this on my hardwired dashcam and square 225/40R18 winter tire setup differing from the standard staggered configuration.

Has anyone here been hassled on warranty work like this before?

I was under the impression the dealer would have to prove any modifications made to the car were actually the cause before denying warranty work. Service rep at the dealer advised returning to stock configuration and bring the car back in the new year, which is a pain as I'd have to swap my wheels out twice, the dash cam hardwire itself is not a big deal to revert. Time and effort spent to swap wheels out for this is not worth the hassle and I'm better off getting this repaired at my own mechanic.

Maybe these guys just suck and I need to hit up another dealer.

Last edited by m1919; 12-30-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 02:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Check for damage to that sensor from debris, rocks, etc. Also dirt shouldn't matter due to how the sensor works (magnets, yo) but I have seen instances where snow and salt played w/ the sensors. clean what you can, power wash, whatever, and see if the code corrects itself.
The following users liked this post:
m1919 (12-30-19)
Old 12-30-19, 04:53 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

It sounds like they are grasping at imaginary straws here.
I would have asked for the service manager and torn a strip off him...then I would call Lexus Canada customer service and file a complaint with them about the dealer..

It's obvious the code caused all those warning lights to come on.
I'd like to see them convince me that a dash cam, which has absolutely nothing to do with the speed sensor, caused the issue.
Or how the winter wheels caused the issue either.

If another dealer is easily accessible, I would go to another dealer. Maybe Lexus Downtown or Lexus on the Park.
Old 12-30-19, 05:02 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I would have asked for the service manager and torn a strip off him...then I would call Lexus Canada customer service and file a complaint with them about the dealer..

I'd like to see them convince me that a dash cam, which has absolutely nothing to do with the speed sensor, caused the issue.

If another dealer is easily accessible, I would go to another dealer. Maybe Lexus Downtown or Lexus on the Park.
Might just go to Lexus Downtown as it's about 5 minutes from my office.
Old 12-31-19, 08:16 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919
The car started throwing ABS, VSC and traction control dash lights with BSM and PCS also disabled. This started last Saturday after the car sat overnight Friday. My friend had some time to scan the codes and found right rear speed sensor is reporting open circuit.

Had an appointment for service at Ken Shaw Lexus today and they would not carry out repair after diagnosis based on flimsy excuses trying to blame this on my hardwired dashcam and square 225/40R18 winter tire setup differing from the standard staggered configuration.

I was under the impression the dealer would have to prove any modifications made to the car were actually the cause before denying warranty work. Service rep at the dealer advised returning to stock configuration and bring the car back in the new year, which is a pain as I'd have to swap my wheels out twice, the dash cam hardwire itself is not a big deal to revert. Time and effort spent to swap wheels out for this is not worth the hassle and I'm better off getting this repaired at my own mechanic.

My Lexus dealer recommends a square set up for winter. You should call Ken Shaw Lexus, pretending you’re someone else... tell them u just bought an IS and you want tires. If they recommend a square set up ask if it voids warranty, and record the call. Than call service advisor and ask him why they told you square setup is ok and a doesn’t void warranty yet their trying to void your warranty now...

Also ask for a copy of the mechanical report where the mechanic was able to determine a dash cam and square setup ruined your sensor.
Old 12-31-19, 08:25 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey so I just called Ken Shaw Lexus, they recommended me a square set up for winter LOL
i tried to record the call but the app I use wasn’t working. Call them, ask the same question, than call the service manager and ask him why his employees are recommending something that voids warranty, dude will look like an absolute clown. Tell him you ran a squared set up because his staff recommended it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
Cicnus (12-31-19), m1919 (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19, 10:57 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Try out Ken Shaw Lexus they are pretty good with these things. I had an issue with an 02 sensor on my GS that Downtown and Oakville refused to recognize but Ken Shaw dealt with it immediately and helped me out with other small issues like rattles in the interior.

Old 01-01-20, 10:10 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

The wheels/winter tire thing is crap, they as long as overall diameter is the same they have nothing.

Try to find the electrical diagram where you tapped into the wire harness for the dash cadash am assuming its it's to the mirror which does not interfere with the other electrical system.
Old 01-01-20, 01:36 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

He’s right. The dealer will tell you anything to get you to go away. They do not like warranty work because it cuts into their profits, but they still have to honor it. If you have to fight the dealer, maybe corporate or Yelp reviews can suggest a better one.

Try out Ken Shaw Lexus they are pretty good with these things. I had an issue with an 02 sensor on my GS that Downtown and Oakville refused to recognize but Ken Shaw dealt with it immediately and helped me out with other small issues like rattles in the interior.
i like it when people don’t read posts and comment on them anyway.
Old 01-02-20, 06:21 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
He’s right. The dealer will tell you anything to get you to go away. They do not like warranty work because it cuts into their profits, but they still have to honor it. If you have to fight the dealer, maybe corporate or Yelp reviews can suggest a better one.

i like it when people don’t read posts and comment on them anyway.
My mistake i did not read the post properly.
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (01-28-20)
Old 01-02-20, 06:25 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm surprised that Ken Shaw Lexus did this to you they are generally good with warranty claims. If you haven't already elevate your complaint to the service manager Shameer. If that doesn't help as others have suggested try another dealer (but you'll probably get the same response from downtown). If all else fails call Corporate they are usually willing to help. It's not that they don't want to help you but they have to justify the claim to Corporate since its them who pays out to the independent dealerships in the end. I had to go back to them two or three times for them to fix my sunroof but they eventually replaced everything under warranty.

Old 01-02-20, 01:23 PM
m1919
Intermediate

I'm surprised that Ken Shaw Lexus did this to you they are generally good with warranty claims. If you haven't already elevate your complaint to the service manager Shameer. If that doesn't help as others have suggested try another dealer (but you'll probably get the same response from downtown). If all else fails call Corporate they are usually willing to help. It's not that they don't want to help you but they have to justify the claim to Corporate since its them who pays out to the independent dealerships in the end. I had to go back to them two or three times for them to fix my sunroof but they eventually replaced everything under warranty.
Well, dropped in at Lexus Downtown and it appears the cable for rear left hand speed sensor is actually broken. Of course Canadian parts supply chain is garbage and the part is supposedly on back order from two weeks to a month.

Not sure how that happened, hopefully a one off event as now it's an out of pocket repair. Hopefully some critter didn't cause the issue because that would be even more of a pain to deal with.

Last edited by m1919; 01-02-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 02:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Well, dropped in at Lexus Downtown and it appears the cable for rear left hand speed sensor is actually broken. Of course Canadian parts supply chain is garbage and the part is supposedly on back order from two weeks to a month.

Not sure how that happened, hopefully a one off event as now it's an out of pocket repair. Hopefully some critter didn't cause the issue because that would be even more of a pain to deal with.
I would say it's a one off as no one else have reported such and issue in the last few years at least.
I would ask for the old part back when they change it so you can assess the damage...it may give you some idea of what happened.
The area where the cable is run is well hidden, so the chance of something kicking up from the road and hitting it is pretty slim.
Old 01-19-20, 10:46 AM
MJA74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. They denied a warranty claim because i had tinted windows. The window was making a rattling noise and they said it was due to my tinted windows they claimed my tinted window installer was the one to blame it was such a PITA. I still have that 2014IS but the next car we purchased was a MB. Sad.
Old 01-19-20, 12:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA74
Yes. They denied a warranty claim because i had tinted windows. The window was making a rattling noise and they said it was due to my tinted windows they claimed my tinted window installer was the one to blame it was such a PITA. I still have that 2014IS but the next car we purchased was a MB. Sad.
In that case, the issue could have actually been related to what they claimed it was. Window was rattling, and the window was tinted by a third party. My windows were tinted at the dealer, and I've had no such problems. Did you try telling your tint installer about the problem?

Hope your Benz is working out well for you...

Quick Reply: Warranty claim denied due to dashcam hardwire and square winter wheels