IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 03:17 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
That's what I was wondering, AND ALSO major changes to the grill, lights, and new air hole/vents look like they got fog lights, not to mention lotsa other stuff, and also WHY Lexus gave this to Motor Trend.

When did the Nike swoosh get integrated layered with the headlights??
We don't know if this is fully accurate. As for the headlight integration, that's not surprising given that trend with other vehicles in the lineup. They look similar to the headlights that are on the UX.

The following users liked this post:
imyang (05-18-20)
Old 05-15-20, 07:57 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 145 Posts

another refresh would just be stupid on their part, and if they think that’s going to boost sales more than they’re also stupid for that. maybe the first year people would buy it like the refreshed RC, but then it’ll flop once again. i think the rendering is inaccurate too (copied UX front end with LF1 grille and wheels) and because there’s 0 spy shots and insider information on anything with the next gen IS. we really won’t know anything until 2021 or 2022. if there were to be an IS500, there would have been a trademark a while ago and i can’t see them throwing that in the current gen IS for one last hurrah. they need a full revamp and rework the IS to be competitive in the market again, hell they did it in 2014 when this generation came out (minus the carried over engines and lack of ISF) it even beat the pretty much new 3 series a couple times in reviews. to drop the IS and have just the ES and LS is going to lose a lot of customers and they also won’t be bringing in buyers from the germans like they did when this gen IS came out. i get toyota and lexus are going to put more effort into their best sellers but if you’re trying to become a “sporty fun brand” then the IS and RC need to stay and be heavily revamped. but that’s just my 2 cents on this.
Old 05-15-20, 08:16 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Ya, many have similar sentimens, but the IS350 FSport RWD is still one of the MOST FUN cars to drive!! (In it's Class & Price Range).
Old 05-16-20, 05:59 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmull3r
another refresh would just be stupid on their part, and if they think that’s going to boost sales more than they’re also stupid for that. maybe the first year people would buy it like the refreshed RC, but then it’ll flop once again. i think the rendering is inaccurate too (copied UX front end with LF1 grille and wheels) and because there’s 0 spy shots and insider information on anything with the next gen IS. we really won’t know anything until 2021 or 2022. if there were to be an IS500, there would have been a trademark a while ago and i can’t see them throwing that in the current gen IS for one last hurrah. they need a full revamp and rework the IS to be competitive in the market again, hell they did it in 2014 when this generation came out (minus the carried over engines and lack of ISF) it even beat the pretty much new 3 series a couple times in reviews. to drop the IS and have just the ES and LS is going to lose a lot of customers and they also won’t be bringing in buyers from the germans like they did when this gen IS came out. i get toyota and lexus are going to put more effort into their best sellers but if you’re trying to become a “sporty fun brand” then the IS and RC need to stay and be heavily revamped. but that’s just my 2 cents on this.
I think they're doing this with plans to scrap the IS line in a few years. I'm guessing they will then replace it with a new sedan with a new moniker, completely replacing the IS badge. Probably something with more power + hybrid variant. They know that beyond the first year of the refresh it won't boost sales much long term, but I don't think they're invested long term to the IS.
Old 05-17-20, 04:26 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
I think they're doing this with plans to scrap the IS line in a few years. I'm guessing they will then replace it with a new sedan with a new moniker, completely replacing the IS badge. Probably something with more power + hybrid variant. They know that beyond the first year of the refresh it won't boost sales much long term, but I don't think they're invested long term to the IS.
i'm not quite so sure about killing off the IS moniker. lexus just killed off the iconic GS and i really doubt they'd also kill off the IS, which has a similar pedigree and is more well known within society as a whole, particularly in the US, than the GS which was a niche product.
Old 05-17-20, 04:33 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i'm not quite so sure about killing off the IS moniker. lexus just killed off the iconic GS and i really doubt they'd also kill off the IS, which has a similar pedigree and is more well known within society as a whole, particularly in the US, than the GS which was a niche product.
Both ideas are stupid - why does Lexus think the GS sold so well since around what - mid-90s?

Millions love those cars and in fact I have both GS & IS. This manner of innovation & marketing is akin to Coke changing the flavor of Classic.

While Lexus is at it maybe Toyota should kill off the Corolla, Camry, BMW all 3-series, and Honda the Accord, Civic, etc.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-17-20 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-18-20, 08:58 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
i really don’t think they’ll scrap the IS. they know it’s capable of selling in high numbers to the point where it was even their 4th best seller in the line up, i do think they’ll completely revamp it and push out an all new model since toyota’s press conference was leaked and it said an all new IS was slated for 2021. i can’t imagine they’d go on with a huge gap between the ES and LS
Old 05-19-20, 09:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Both ideas are stupid - why does Lexus think the GS sold so well since around what - mid-90s?

Millions love those cars and in fact I have both GS & IS. This manner of innovation & marketing is akin to Coke changing the flavor of Classic.

While Lexus is at it maybe Toyota should kill off the Corolla, Camry, BMW all 3-series, and Honda the Accord, Civic, etc.
It's easy to sit here and arm-chair corporate strategy and sales, but believe me Toyota (as any company does) has armies of trained professionals making these business decisions. They know where their bread and butter is. Even at peak sales, the GS and even IS never sold nearly as well as competitors from Germany. Even the Acura TLX smokes the IS in sales, even in 2018.

Old 05-19-20, 03:05 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Originally Posted by jmull3r
i really don’t think they’ll scrap the IS. they know it’s capable of selling in high numbers to the point where it was even their 4th best seller in the line up, i do think they’ll completely revamp it and push out an all new model since toyota’s press conference was leaked and it said an all new IS was slated for 2021. i can’t imagine they’d go on with a huge gap between the ES and LS
Both ideas are stupid - why does Lexus think the GS sold so well since around what - mid-90s? Millions love those cars and in fact I have both GS & IS. This manner of innovation & marketing is akin to Coke changing the flavor of Classic. While Lexus is at it maybe Toyota should kill off the Corolla, Camry, BMW all 3-series, and Honda the Accord, Civic, etc.
Originally Posted by E46CT
It's easy to sit here and arm-chair corporate strategy and sales, but believe me Toyota (as any company does) has armies of trained professionals making these business decisions. They know where their bread and butter is. Even at peak sales, the GS and even IS never sold nearly as well as competitors from Germany. Even the Acura TLX smokes the IS in sales, even in 2018.
The reasoning here is more subjective/emotional based which often comes back to bite corporations in the ***, in which Lexus case hope it does. GS & IS subject only to used car sales and after market mentality is BLEGH...

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-19-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 05:21 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

https://carbuzz.com/news/greatest-le...brand-new-name
LaZeR (05-19-20)
Old 05-21-20, 10:31 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

https://www.motor1.com/news/424474/l...ct-powertrain/
Old 05-21-20, 11:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Basically I think Lexus is saying the US luxury market is a moving target and German brands are a thorn in their rear. Makes sense.

Lexus needs to give customers value compared to Germans. Right now people lease BMW 3/Mercedes C for cheap, but often with lack of equipment.

So if Lexus can offer some bold exciting new offerings with some gimmicks thrown in (like the Venza panoramic LED roof panel) I think they can attract some customers.

For me the immediate perception of very fine interior materials, quality, and design with a bit of arrogance and class always attracted me vs. the german brands. The sense of perfection and craftsmanship. It made me want to own it, and sit in it. So Lexus, do some more of that. Bold interiors. Classy rich quality. Style you want to buy, not lease.
Old 06-01-20, 08:41 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

LaZeR (06-01-20)
Old 06-02-20, 11:50 AM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extremely disappointed the the UX-style brake lights. One of the ugliest designs, IMO.
Old 06-11-20, 05:44 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Will the 2021 IS get the new Touchscreen Navigation system like the 2020 RX? Have they rolled this out to any other models?

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads