Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When will there be a new generation?
Old 06-14-20, 11:53 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
... bought a GS350 2018 but now it looks old!
Once GS manufacturing is sunset it will be considered iconic.
Old 06-15-20, 12:12 AM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interior is disappointing. They barely touched anything and the only big change is finally having Car Play.
  • Cup holders are still poorly placed.
  • No new look to the steering wheel (very slight changes)
  • No power-folding for the side mirrors.
  • Gross Benz-style aero-inspired air vents.
The following users liked this post:
alexkidd (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 01:46 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why why why did they have to change to tablet slab that sticks out of the dash. So disappointed.

The steering wheel looks worse.

Touch pad meh.

I still see there is only a media button so you have to push to cycle thru devices.
​​​​​​
Cruise control is still the old school stick wtf?

Still has the crappy touch sliders for temperature.

They used piano gloss on the hvac area.

Last edited by alexkidd; 06-15-20 at 01:52 AM.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-15-20, 03:52 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Here it is in full HD glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0R-xsvUpwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcxfo6NeT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYtLfU0uVnI

Confirmed to be a refresh. Interior is mostly the same with a larger infotainment, and the engine bay looks identical to the current IS 350. Not holding my breath for the 3.5 twin turbo or V8.
The last video, at 1:03, I swear I hear a V8 exhaust note...anyone else? and also more in the video along with the usual V6 exhausts.

Last edited by Loe; 06-15-20 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 04:17 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Nope - it's a re-designed/engineered exterior & interior - but would like to know if it's the SAME senior team @ Lexus who worked on the 3rd Generation IS 2014 debut.

Also, it looks like the winners are those who currently own a 2014 to 2020 IS.
So basically it's just a refresh of the same car that's been on sale since 2014? And they didn't even bother giving some new and more powerful engines? Wow... The pace of progress at Lexus is... Glacial. Toyota is being incredibly lazy and arrogant lately. They have billions at their disposal and could invest in Lexus to turn it into a serious German and Tesla rival, but instead they are focusing in becoming the next Infiniti. Gone are the days when Lexus was a worthy adversary for the Germans. Lexus is in decay and extending a big red carpet to Genesis.
davyjordi (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 04:19 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
I love the lines on this car, side of this car still looks amazing imo.

i think this is the latest iteration's best shot. the rear is not terribly attractive, and the front hasn't changed enough for it to be immediately rendered distinctive from the current model.

the interior is nice, but i think they could have added wood like acura has while retaining a sporty nature. also, the red plastic that is on the lower half of the dash isn't doing the car any favors. that should all be black, honestly. the rest of the interior refresh is much like the front in that a lot was done but in a minor enough manner so as to not immediately jump out at you as radically different and seeing as this is a refresh, i suppose that makes sense.

it's just that lexus cannot keep incrementally changing the same basic vehicle and if a ttv6 is to come, then they should have placed it in the video because news publications are going to be reporting off of the latest video reveal and this clearly does not mention anything about a ttv6, it just has the same v6 that has been in the 350 since 2006 now.
Old 06-15-20, 04:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

on the bright side, this refresh doesn't make my 2018 look completely dated -- it buys my car a few more years until lexus finally decides to get its act together and properly redesign the car from the ground up.
Old 06-15-20, 05:02 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I saw the video of the new interior, I was hoping for more change to the interior. Also where is the wireless phone charging pad? Usually it’s up front but I don’t see a space for it.

They used round vents on the side and then kept the rectangular ones in the middle is that uniform?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 06-15-20 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 05:26 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think this is the latest iteration's best shot. the rear is not terribly attractive, and the front hasn't changed enough for it to be immediately rendered distinctive from the current model.

the interior is nice, but i think they could have added wood like acura has while retaining a sporty nature. also, the red plastic that is on the lower half of the dash isn't doing the car any favors. that should all be black, honestly. the rest of the interior refresh is much like the front in that a lot was done but in a minor enough manner so as to not immediately jump out at you as radically different and seeing as this is a refresh, i suppose that makes sense.

it's just that lexus cannot keep incrementally changing the same basic vehicle and if a ttv6 is to come, then they should have placed it in the video because news publications are going to be reporting off of the latest video reveal and this clearly does not mention anything about a ttv6, it just has the same v6 that has been in the 350 since 2006 now.
Wood? Ugh, I'm not a 100. Whenever I see wood in a car I think of my grandfather. Lol 🤷‍♂️
Old 06-15-20, 05:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JBison73
Wood? Ugh, I'm not a 100. Whenever I see wood in a car I think of my grandfather. Lol 🤷‍♂️
acura implemented wood REALLY well in the new tlx type-s. open pore wood is so classy, imo. volvo also does it really well in their vehicles.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-15-20, 05:29 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
on the bright side, this refresh doesn't make my 2018 look completely dated -- it buys my car a few more years until lexus finally decides to get its act together and properly redesign the car from the ground up.
The problem is that God knows when will Toyota finally move their lazy cheapskate *** and give Lexus the green light for a new IS, if Toyota doesn't decide to cancel the Lexus IS all together. My advice: teach Toyota some manners... Buy a BMW 3-series or a Genesis G70. That'll teach 'em to not screw with the customers trying to sell stale old product for so long.
davyjordi (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 05:54 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

The tail lights ruin it. If they had nailed the rear of the car (sounds wrong lol), it would have been AMAZING. I’m not going to lie, the front and sides are gorgeous. I will say this, if they don’t offer a TTV6 or V8, they are definitely shooting themselves in the foot. Also, the interior is eh. Nothing crazy. I wouldn’t upgrade from my 2018. Definitely curious to see what the 4IS will be down the line.
Old 06-15-20, 06:06 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Not a fan of the exterior at the moment. Rear end looks like it came from a ES.Maybe it will grow on me?

Hopefully they put the V6TT in there
Old 06-15-20, 06:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The echo the rear taillight comments...I think it will grow on me eventually.
The concept of the rear lights look good, it's too bad they didn't flush them into the body panels though...I think that would have won most over to the new design.

I like the rest of the exterior styling...even the wheels look nice.
Waiting on the edge of my seat for those powerplant options though.
As much as some are looking for that V6TT, it would be nice to have the V8 back for one last hurrah...might even give the model some collect-ability status.

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads