IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 10:37 AM
SunnyHMoon
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just not a fan of the new front end compared to the 17-20 models. It looks too... Flat and zigzag-ish. I loved how the last models made the vent area prominent (even if it's fake). The new one is definitely more uniform to the rest of the Lexus line up but it doesn't make the IS stand out anymore.

Also imo the lines from the side view doesn't flow as well as the older model. I especially liked how the sideskirt flowed up to the taillights.

If there isn't a high performance version introduced, Lexus is going to fall behind even more. They've now been using the same 3.5 V6 for 15 years. I've always loved Lexus for their reliability but it's simply not enough anymore. They're falling behind in performance as well as technology features.
Old 06-15-20, 10:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ I agree with you. That is why I chose "like" versus love in my comments...I like the front but don't love it....same with the side view. I saw a friend of mine on the weekend and has a white RC and I was still drooling over it. I often wish I would have kept it although the RC on lowering springs has totally transformed it and I love it now but I still prefer the more aggressive front stance of the 2017-2020 IS
Old 06-15-20, 10:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I was expecting more.

Seems pretty much the update received new sheetmetal (quite expensive to do), some minor interior trim tweaks such as new dash top, new patterns in door skin coverings, new vents, new airbag cover and steering wheel trim (mostly color).

We'll see if there's any suspension changes. I'd guess more so tuning, maybe strengthened mounting points.

Overall I like it, but maybe this is more appropriate 5 years ago. Today it's kind of meh, even with the updates.

I'd get one if there was a killer lease deal on it. but if I was seriously paying cash/financing a new car in this class, this would easily be at the bottom of my list. The new TLX is already light years ahead of this.

The new upcoming C class will pummel this even in its base model form.

Lexus knows there was no business case for an all new from the ground up redesign, so they're trying to put lipstick on a nice (but aging) pig and they know it. They're hoping this small investment (compared to a redesign) can help them milk a few more bucks out of this category of car (as well as R&D/tooling for 3IS) as they observe the market and see what happens with the sports sedan genre of cars as crossovers are more desired these days. This is the smart move for now before investing in an all new design.

Lexus knows it. They know we know it. but they'll act (they have to) as if this is groundbreaking.
The following users liked this post:
m0chafrap (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 11:18 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Here are my comments, and of course, everyone will have their opinions on things....

1. Like the front and side view, even from the 3/4 quarter rear view
2. Like the wheel design
3. Don't like the overall rear design - Don't like the full light across, don't like the big black rear diffuser and don't like the tiny deck spoiler although I don't mind the exhaust tips
4. Like the overall interior design EXCEPT WAY TOO MUCH RED!!! WTF is that?!
5. I don't mind the raised tablet, it doesn't seem as "stuck on" like some other models (like the Corolla) but I much prefer the interior of my RC

I will need to see one in the flesh before making a final opinion on it except for the red part inside, no way I would get a red after seeing those pics! I will stick with my RC for a while, at least until next spring, and decide then. I am not sold on the Acura Type-S yet although Acura products look better in person too. I was really hoping to be wowed but so far, I feel I would "settle" or "put up" with the IS but I am not calling my dealer begging them to take my money.

Maybe holding my RC until the end of the lease will put me closer to the FMC of the IS....My lease expires in June 2023....
Can't tell if that's Rioja Red in terrible lighting or something brighter, but yeah. It's excessive. Moderation and balance is key in my opinion, and the new F Sport interior is laying it on thick with this blinding shade of red.

Originally Posted by JBison73
Yeah, I wish they would have placed the cupholders further forward like the RX setup. They did move them further up compared to the current iteration but still not enough imo.
Cup holders are where they are because they literally took the bones of the RC center console and plopped it in the refresh. What's funny is they put all this money into these major exterior changes, but they cost cut on the console.

Last edited by m1919; 06-15-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 11:43 AM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Still no surround view camera just CarPlay added? Lexus is lagging way behind even Kia has all the bells and whistles.
I'm gonna assume a no too. Granted we know nothing about features yet aside from the obvious CarPlay, but the IS is more entry-level so you know they ain't gonna throw all the nice features in. They couldn't even add in the mechanism to power-fold the side mirrors, so I don't see why they'd put more advanced cameras.

I'm super on the fence about this car. I think the exterior is fine. The UX-style rear tail lights don't look as bad I had expected from the initial teaser. Interior though is a tremendous let down. Hopefully we can see how it looks in all black because that red is GROSS. Overload and I agree with some people from Lexus Enthusiast who said it looks "Japanese retro." Lexus always takes steps back, and I don't know why. They're not gonna be able to compete with this kind of interior. I don't know why no one listened to YEARS of feedback about the placement of the cup holders. We couldn't even get that.
Old 06-15-20, 11:55 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe Lexus added an option “delete cup holders” $125.00 lol
Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Front end is too Toyotaish? The front end looks almost exactly what it's looked like the last 6yrs. Lol
Well yes, the front end maintains the overall design,
but the chrome lip is gone, which cheapens the look IMHO.
More of a uniform black grill with no sparkle.

Also the front end looks more chiseled, which I think also
cheapens the look.
Old 06-15-20, 12:05 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Why would Lexus allow major leaks like this a day before the official premiere? It’s kinda like Apple takes the fun out of waiting for the premier/keynote.
Old 06-15-20, 12:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Why would Lexus allow major leaks like this a day before the official premiere? It’s kinda like Apple takes the fun out of waiting for the premier/keynote.
Leaks or you mean rollout plans
Old 06-15-20, 01:07 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Leaks or you mean rollout plans
Maybe redesign will come after Mazda build their new RWD platform

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampprojec...ngine-rumor%2F
Old 06-15-20, 01:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

My guess is the infotainment probably got a significant refresh too. The gauge cluster seems to be the same one you get in the LC 500/ES 350 F Sport. So maybe there's new infotainment software that pairs with it.

I like the new exterior design overall.
Old 06-15-20, 02:27 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Still looks great modified. Lol

Old 06-15-20, 03:27 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Anyone else a fan of the rear diffuser? I wish I had something similar to that as an option for my car
Old 06-15-20, 03:50 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

If you look at the video that was released earlier today of the interior with ALL that red. Take another close look...something is off...look down at the speaker grills (round) down on the bottom door panels, on each side. They are painted over in red. Something tells me this almost looks like a photoshop. I wonder if this is not how the new IS will really look.
Old 06-15-20, 03:56 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Premiers in 4 minuts

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads