IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 05:17 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Here are my comments, and of course, everyone will have their opinions on things....

1. Like the front and side view, even from the 3/4 quarter rear view
2. Like the wheel design
3. Don't like the overall rear design - Don't like the full light across, don't like the big black rear diffuser and don't like the tiny deck spoiler although I don't mind the exhaust tips
4. Like the overall interior design EXCEPT WAY TOO MUCH RED!!! WTF is that?!
5. I don't mind the raised tablet, it doesn't seem as "stuck on" like some other models (like the Corolla) but I much prefer the interior of my RC

I will need to see one in the flesh before making a final opinion on it except for the red part inside, no way I would get a red after seeing those pics! I will stick with my RC for a while, at least until next spring, and decide then. I am not sold on the Acura Type-S yet although Acura products look better in person too. I was really hoping to be wowed but so far, I feel I would "settle" or "put up" with the IS but I am not calling my dealer begging them to take my money.

Maybe holding my RC until the end of the lease will put me closer to the FMC of the IS....My lease expires in June 2023....
I have to eat my own words in less than 12h!!! After seeing the videos and the car n motion, I actually love teh new design....and seeing better quality videos that shows the design cues, I am liking it! I still don't like the red interior, way too much red but otherwise, I like it.

Am I disappointed by the lack of greater performance and carry over of the 6 speed transmission? I have mixed feelings to be honest as I know many of you like the extra power and such. For what I do with my Lexus, this is plenty of power for me. And while everyone wants a 8+ transmission, I am one that actually prefers the 6 speed unit. The 9 speed in the Acura is what got me into a Lexus...I love the 6 speed in my TL at the time and the 9 speed ZF unit was just horrible so I never got one. I am hearing the 10 speed unit in the RDX and Accord has a bit of a delayed response too so while the greater gears gives better fuel economy, I sort of like the gear ration of a 6 speed but I know I am a minority here and respect that....I just ask you respect my preference too

So will this get me out of my RC next spring? That is a possibility....I need to see it in teh flesh and see what the new Type S from Acura will look like and cost next year but I must say that seeing the new IS in motion, it has a sexiness about it...for me anyway
Old 06-15-20, 05:22 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I have to eat my own words in less than 12h!!! After seeing the videos and the car n motion, I actually love teh new design....and seeing better quality videos that shows the design cues, I am liking it! I still don't like the red interior, way too much red but otherwise, I like it.

Am I disappointed by the lack of greater performance and carry over of the 6 speed transmission? I have mixed feelings to be honest as I know many of you like the extra power and such. For what I do with my Lexus, this is plenty of power for me. And while everyone wants a 8+ transmission, I am one that actually prefers the 6 speed unit. The 9 speed in the Acura is what got me into a Lexus...I love the 6 speed in my TL at the time and the 9 speed ZF unit was just horrible so I never got one. I am hearing the 10 speed unit in the RDX and Accord has a bit of a delayed response too so while the greater gears gives better fuel economy, I sort of like the gear ration of a 6 speed but I know I am a minority here and respect that....I just ask you respect my preference too

So will this get me out of my RC next spring? That is a possibility....I need to see it in teh flesh and see what the new Type S from Acura will look like and cost next year but I must say that seeing the new IS in motion, it has a sexiness about it...for me anyway
I actually like the exterior design, like the changes to the weight and chassis. The interior I like most of the changes, I think the black interior will look much better. That being said, with the power being the same I don't really have much incentive to get it over my 2018 model.
Old 06-15-20, 05:23 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
The interior lower dash and door panel are total dealbreakers. I LOVE red interiors but that is way too much red. If it’s the same cheap lower panel plastic as the 2014-2020 IS, it will look horrific in person. Shiny red plastic.
...I agree, that will force me to go to a black interior as the only colors available in Canada have been black or red, and with that much red, no thank you!
Old 06-15-20, 05:25 PM
evident
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
my guess and ihope I'm wrong. New front and rear, revised suspension, much nicer interior, updated entertainment from 20 rx. Same. Power. Trains. Then they will axe it 2 years from now due to low sales, and make the ES the Acura/ Lincoln fighter. Ugh
man sucks to be correct this time. I'm genuinely more excited for the new tlx.
Old 06-15-20, 05:51 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ My guess they did this to buy a bit of time while they complete the new plateform partnership with Mazda and new engine....They couldn't carry the car exactly the same for 2 more years so by cleaning up the sheet metal and styling a bit, they are hoping to draw new customers or prevent the drop of sales. Not sure if this was a wise investment for the small gain in sales they'll get but I am sure there was a reason....Time will tell. I just hope your prediction about killing the IS altogether will not be accurate. I agree though that new TLX will be a game changer and maybe Lexus will beat them in a 2 years from now...This may have lost the battle but maybe they have something up their sleeves
Old 06-15-20, 06:12 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

HATE the red lower dash and door panel still, but here are a few good pics from Lexus.com. First look at the non-F Sport trim. First look at the BBS wheels installed as well.

I wonder why the 3.5 sounds so different (better) In the promo video than the 2014-2020?
Attached Thumbnails Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads-3e01d67e-6f5c-41ed-9a92-f78cd4bdfcd6.jpeg   Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads-f1f6f837-5ef9-41ae-80b0-d95829de778d.jpeg   Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads-e2b45dad-8728-4d46-a35a-248500d39da4.jpeg  

Last edited by BrettKA7; 06-15-20 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 06:36 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by azn406
I'm gonna assume a no too. Granted we know nothing about features yet aside from the obvious CarPlay, but the IS is more entry-level so you know they ain't gonna throw all the nice features in. They couldn't even add in the mechanism to power-fold the side mirrors, so I don't see why they'd put more advanced cameras.

I'm super on the fence about this car. I think the exterior is fine. The UX-style rear tail lights don't look as bad I had expected from the initial teaser. Interior though is a tremendous let down. Hopefully we can see how it looks in all black because that red is GROSS. Overload and I agree with some people from Lexus Enthusiast who said it looks "Japanese retro." Lexus always takes steps back, and I don't know why. They're not gonna be able to compete with this kind of interior. I don't know why no one listened to YEARS of feedback about the placement of the cup holders. We couldn't even get that.

OMG are you saying these mirrors are not AUTO fold -- I have to fold my mirrors often when I park. Can anyone confirm this? I tried looking at the pictures of the left door panel & can only make out personal seat profile buttons...
Old 06-15-20, 06:49 PM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryWest
OMG are you saying these mirrors are not AUTO fold -- I have to fold my mirrors often when I park. Can anyone confirm this? I tried looking at the pictures of the left door panel & can only make out personal seat profile buttons...
I'm 99% certain there will be autofold mirrors. It's an option and a standard feature (in my country) in the current gen. There's no reason such a minor feature wouldn't be in the next gen.
Old 06-15-20, 06:52 PM
mrslnsyder
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
I'm 99% certain there will be autofold mirrors. It's an option and a standard feature (in my country) in the current gen. There's no reason such a minor feature wouldn't be in the next gen.
I bought a 2020 RCF a few weeks ago and couldn’t believe it doesn’t come with power folding mirrors.
Old 06-15-20, 06:53 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
In the US auto-fold mirrors was never an option in any of the IS variantts. Fingers are crossed for the 2021 IS
Old 06-15-20, 06:56 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
Extremely underwhelming.

F Sport is now limited to 3.5l engine only.

The marketing woman stated there are 3 drivetrains in the video. Hybrid? Would be really cool to have an IS 300h F Sport in US.

The interior lower dash and door panel are total dealbreakers. I LOVE red interiors but that is way too much red. If it’s the same cheap lower panel plastic as the 2014-2020 IS, it will look horrific in person. Shiny red plastic.

Should have had either the TT V6 from the LS or the B58 from the Supra.
So there will be no Fsport in the 2.0 turbos?
Old 06-15-20, 06:59 PM
TimLe09288
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m pretty sure Acura is laughing at this reveal right now. I’m also pretty sure the new Tlx “base 4 banger” motor would destroy the new is350.
Lexus lost their dang minds.
Old 06-15-20, 07:06 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimLe09288
I’m pretty sure Acura is laughing at this reveal right now. I’m also pretty sure the new Tlx “base 4 banger” motor would destroy the new is350.
Lexus lost their dang minds.

I still laugh at this love for the new TLX. I wasn't impressed. But I guess I'm alone with that. Lol
Old 06-15-20, 07:14 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Originally Posted by JBison73
I still laugh at this love for the new TLX. I wasn't impressed. But I guess I'm alone with that. Lol
RE: TLX

I don't get it either --- first one has to like the styling even if goes 0-6 in 1 second. The styling looked very confusing and way too many lines & contours.
Old 06-15-20, 07:17 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads