IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 05:37 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Alex on Autos mentioned that the fenders are supposed to be a bit wider to fit wider tires, which he thinks might point to the rumored higher HP model in the future.

The following users liked this post:
FncyToyota (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 06:47 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Any ideas when this new IS will appear in dealerships? They mentioned late Fall in the video but does that mean it will be ready to buy in Sept/Oct or Nov Dec?
If you go in to place a special order now will it arrive in Sept or Dec 2020
Old 06-16-20, 06:49 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Any ideas when this new IS will appear in dealerships? They mentioned late Fall in the video but does that mean it will be ready to buy in Sept/Oct or Nov Dec?
If you go in to place a special order now will it arrive in Sept or Dec 2020
My guess is October or November. But who knows.....ask your dealership.

Last edited by JBison73; 06-16-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 07:10 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think this latest version of the IS is to plug the gap of a sporty sedan while Lexus comes up with an all-new sport sedan to eventually merge both the IS and GS, two to three years seems about right.
emtam (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 07:34 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Also one tid bit I think some may have missed: Lexus has switched to wheel bolts for the new IS now. BMW style. For extra rigidity and handling!
Not sure I like the idea, not that I’ve ever used them before. But when you change your wheels twice a year (winter/summer), seems like it would be more work lining them up, than just hanging the wheels on the studs.
Old 06-16-20, 10:11 PM
evident
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
wtf is with all this TLX talk as well as comparing an "Acura" to a Lexus? Apples to Oranges. Infiniti MIGHT be a better comparison.

Have you ever test drive a TLX? The TLX is soooooo HUM DRUM BORING... Can you even get a TLX in RWD?

You can compare a TLX only to a Lexus ES... MAYBE.
Lexus is lowering their standards while Acura is elevating theirs. Yes it's fwd but the Shawd is pretty impressive.
I'd roll the dice with a new tlx over the current is350 if I had to make a choicethis year
The following 3 users liked this post by evident:
FncyToyota (06-18-20), Joelseff (06-16-20), TXDriver (06-19-20)
Old 06-16-20, 10:21 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evident
Lexus is lowering their standards while Acura is elevating theirs. Yes it's fwd but the Shawd is pretty impressive.
I'd roll the dice with a new tlx over the current is350 if I had to make a choicethis year
TLX wouldn't even crack my top 5 for a car to replace my Lexus.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-16-20, 10:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
TLX wouldn't even crack my top 5 for a car to replace my Lexus.
I'd take the new TLX Type S over the IS if I wanted an exciting car. Just being honest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
FncyToyota (06-18-20), TXDriver (06-19-20)
Old 06-16-20, 11:08 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mehh, I still greatly value this car for reliability and I think it's pretty fun to drive tbh. Having 400-500hp isn't the be all end all for everyone.
You're right it's not for everyone but those who want one have been alienated and have to give up the rear seat and pay much more money for more HP. If they want to stay with Lexus... Or jump ship. Is that what Lexus wants? Is it unreasonable to get a 50 hp bump? You know like pretty much all the other cars in its class offer.

But I agree that 311hp is prob enough for 90% of driving/drivers but getting out of a 3is or even a 2is (shelling out 55-60k) may seem more like a lateral move...i would like to drive it though and see how significant the handling changes are.

Last edited by Joelseff; 06-16-20 at 11:19 PM.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-16-20, 11:20 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joelseff
You're right it's not for everyone but those who want one have been alienated and have to give up the rear seat and pay much more money for more HP. Or jump ship. Is that what Lexus wants? Is it unreasonable to get a 50 hp bump? You know like pretty much all the other cars in its class offer.

Is 50hp enough? Some here a year ago were saying that if it wasn't 400+hp they'd jump ship. We all would like more horsepower but if 50hp is enough now, for how long will it be enough before people are once again complaining for more power? It's to the point where some actually think the TLX is an "exciting car".....the TLX? LOL......because it might have a little extra power, even though the interior imo is hideous and the exterior is bland and hasn't changed much from the previous gen.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-16-20, 11:49 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Is 50hp enough? Some here a year ago were saying that if it wasn't 400+hp they'd jump ship. We all would like more horsepower but if 50hp is enough now, for how long will it be enough before people are once again complaining for more power? It's to the point where some actually think the TLX is an "exciting car".....the TLX? LOL......because it might have a little extra power, even though the interior imo is hideous and the exterior is bland and hasn't changed much from the previous gen.
You sure are talking bad about a car that hasn't been released nor that you have driven yet lol. This is the same case for this IS refresh, BUT we already know how the power is going to feel. The only thing we don't know yet is how the handling will have been improved, which has never been the IS's problem sooo.....
Old 06-17-20, 12:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I think it's more how power is delivered. The twin scroll turbo engines give so much low end torque, it feels faster in most situations. The 311hp in the IS is really peaky and you have to ring it out to get any sort of speed. A 350hp turbo engine with a fat powerband will feel much much stronger than an NA engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
Hifiman1 (06-27-20), Joelseff (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 12:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think it's more how power is delivered. The twin scroll turbo engines give so much low end torque, it feels faster in most situations. The 311hp in the IS is really peaky and you have to ring it out to get any sort of speed. A 350hp turbo engine with a fat powerband will feel much much stronger than an NA engine.
Well unless Lexus surprises us with something crazy powertrain wise (I give it a 15% chance) , it's going to be the same ol same ol. I think I've made my point though. Not really going to keep trying to make people realize how outdated the IS is in respect to powertrain options. It is what it is haha.
Joelseff (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 12:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Well unless Lexus surprises us with something crazy powertrain wise (I give it a 15% chance) , it's going to be the same ol same ol. I think I've made my point though. Not really going to keep trying to make people realize how outdated the IS is in respect to powertrain options. It is what it is haha.
I agree with you that the powertrain options need an update. The primary reason I switched cars was the desire for more horsepower. People say you get used to the speed and you eventually need more but I disagree. I finally feel like I have the perfect amount of power in the car and no longer desire for more speed. I never felt that way about my Is350...always felt it was a little too slow for me. Too bad they didn't fix the one thing I thought that was truly needed.
Joelseff (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 12:45 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree with you that the powertrain options need an update. The primary reason I switched cars was the desire for more horsepower. People say you get used to the speed and you eventually need more but I disagree. I finally feel like I have the perfect amount of power in the car and no longer desire for more speed. I never felt that way about my Is350...always felt it was a little too slow for me. Too bad they didn't fix the one thing I thought that was truly needed.
I honestly think once you are beyond like 400 HP (to the wheels), it is excessive unless you live near a track or over here in Germany. Between 350 and 400 HP to the wheels would be perfect for me. I will say though, there is no such thing as too much torque lol. I am still seriously considering the Tesla Model S or 3 (performance on whichever one) because of how amazing that instant torque is once I get back to the States. Again, I always like to make the disclaimer that everyone's needs and wants are different, but there is always an "overall consensus" on what is enough reasonable power for a certain segment IMO.
Joelseff (06-17-20)

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads