IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 07:03 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I really feel that Lexus nailed the front end. How did they make the grill now look more integrated into being apart of the car? What I mean is the way they designed the grill makes it seem more apart of the whole front end. It blends so well and the new headlights just make the whole front end from a design point just flow very very nicely. It's almost like your eyes are not just fixated on the huge grill but rather we are seeing the whole front end come together. Does that make sense?
Old 06-17-20, 07:36 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think it's more how power is delivered. The twin scroll turbo engines give so much low end torque, it feels faster in most situations. The 311hp in the IS is really peaky and you have to ring it out to get any sort of speed. A 350hp turbo engine with a fat powerband will feel much much stronger than an NA engine.
How are Turbo engines long term? Do they hold up?
Old 06-17-20, 07:41 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5
You sure are talking bad about a car that hasn't been released nor that you have driven yet lol
Is it any different than people going on and on about how great it is? We all form opinions ....the look of a car for me is almost as important as power. My critiques of the car are mostly about looks.
Old 06-17-20, 07:45 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelseff
But I agree that 311hp is prob enough for 90% of driving/drivers but getting out of a 3is or even a 2is (shelling out 55-60k) may seem more like a lateral move...i would like to drive it though and see how significant the handling changes are.
Its true. We have to remember those on this thread are enthusiasts. To the average driver 311hp is a lot. Most "normal" people (family, co-workers, wife, potential buyers) think my 350 is really fast lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOMER350:
Hifiman1 (06-27-20), Joelseff (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 08:00 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Did they mention anything in the press release about the interior having ambient lighting?
When I saw the round air vents (reminded me of Mercedes ones)
I thought they might add ambient lighting to the inside round air vent, guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 06-17-20, 08:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I honestly think once you are beyond like 400 HP (to the wheels), it is excessive unless you live near a track or over here in Germany. Between 350 and 400 HP to the wheels would be perfect for me. I will say though, there is no such thing as too much torque lol. I am still seriously considering the Tesla Model S or 3 (performance on whichever one) because of how amazing that instant torque is once I get back to the States. Again, I always like to make the disclaimer that everyone's needs and wants are different, but there is always an "overall consensus" on what is enough reasonable power for a certain segment IMO.
My experience with my Performance 3 has been great. Its pushing 550hp at the motors so no idea how much at the wheels. It may be above 500hp as its getting 0-60 under 3 seconds (with rollout) and doing mid-low 11s in the quarter mile. Power in the car is good enough for me but there are many other options now as the new M340 is very fast and so is the C43 AMG and Genesis G70. These cars aren't priced all that much more than the top of the line IS350 (G70 is even cheaper) and they offer a lot more horsepower which is nice. I've seen people get a nicely equipped M340 for $55k right now as the dealers want to move the cars.
Old 06-17-20, 08:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
How are Turbo engines long term? Do they hold up?
Turbo engines hold up fine especially those that are conservatively tuned. Subaru has been doing it for many decades and have one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry. Many examples of the BMW F30 engines holding up with high mileage just fine and the Honda 1.5L and 2L turbo engines don't seem to be having any issues either. Also, Lexus own turbo NX and IS300 haven't had much issues. The VW 2L turbo isn't the weak point of the car and many examples of high mileage there too. The maintenance on a turbo engine is higher though so if you neglect the maintenance, it won't do as well as an NA engine.
The following users liked this post:
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-17-20, 09:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Turbo engines hold up fine especially those that are conservatively tuned. Subaru has been doing it for many decades and have one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry. Many examples of the BMW F30 engines holding up with high mileage just fine and the Honda 1.5L and 2L turbo engines don't seem to be having any issues either. Also, Lexus own turbo NX and IS300 haven't had much issues. The VW 2L turbo isn't the weak point of the car and many examples of high mileage there too. The maintenance on a turbo engine is higher though so if you neglect the maintenance, it won't do as well as an NA engine.
My wife drives the 1.5L turbo Civic. I’m hoping the oil dilution issue isn’t as bad as people are making it seem. The consensus is that it’s mostly affecting people who drive very short trips since short trips don’t allow the car to actually warm up. This causes more build up of unburnt fuel. The good thing is my wife does 10+ minute drives so I’m a little more at ease.I have yet to hear of a bunch of failures though. Time will tell. The MPG on the hwy for the 1.5L turbo Honda engine is AMAZING lol (42 sometimes even 44 MPG) .
Old 06-17-20, 09:32 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Its true. We have to remember those on this thread are enthusiasts. To the average driver 311hp is a lot. Most "normal" people (family, co-workers, wife, potential buyers) think my 350 is really fast lol.
It is fast compared to most people's car and especially the cars they grew up with. Lol
Joelseff (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 11:23 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Did any notice that if you get the new IS with the Mark Levinson sound system, the ***** on each side look white ceramic but if you get it without the ML sound system then the ***** look like brushed aluminum.
That's a quick way of telling if the car has ML or not other than the obvious ML badging.
Hifiman1 (06-27-20)
Old 06-17-20, 12:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I really feel that Lexus nailed the front end. How did they make the grill now look more integrated into being apart of the car? What I mean is the way they designed the grill makes it seem more apart of the whole front end. It blends so well and the new headlights just make the whole front end from a design point just flow very very nicely. It's almost like your eyes are not just fixated on the huge grill but rather we are seeing the whole front end come together. Does that make sense?
I think the "more integrated" look is thanks to the lines in the hood that lead right down into the top of the grill. I like it.

I am getting the sense that there's a high performance version of this car coming. There are the comments about the ability to fit wider wheels, the IS F question in the Townsend Q&A session... I think there's a good chance. Would also be a fitting send off to the 3IS.
Old 06-17-20, 01:38 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Did any notice that if you get the new IS with the Mark Levinson sound system, the ***** on each side look white ceramic but if you get it without the ML sound system then the ***** look like brushed aluminum.
That's a quick way of telling if the car has ML or not other than the obvious ML badging.
Always wondered about the *****, brushed aluminum look so much better though
Old 06-17-20, 02:57 PM
pasghetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned an IS-F, I would definitely consider the new one IF they come out with a V8 in the rumored IS500. But given the current lineup, this reminds me of what happened to the ILX. No redesigns, just multiple refreshes, incremental interior updates, and the same old powertrain. Lexus better have something in store soon, because the new TLX looks mighty tempting.

The following 3 users liked this post by pasghetti:
FncyToyota (06-18-20), Joelseff (06-17-20), TXDriver (06-19-20)
Old 06-17-20, 03:15 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder how much if any the 2020 IS 350 are going down in price.
Old 06-17-20, 03:55 PM
pasghetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
I wonder how much if any the 2020 IS 350 are going down in price.
When Acura pulled the same shenanigans with the ILX, they dropped the price by about 10%. I'm hoping Lexus does the same; otherwise this is going to sell about as well as chicken wings at a PETA convention, and give them all the "proof" they need to axe another sedan.
The following 3 users liked this post by pasghetti:
FncyToyota (06-18-20), Hifiman1 (06-27-20), Joelseff (06-17-20)

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads