IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 06:52 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
I just want an in depth review with an FSport model. This is a half-assed review with a base model. Mehhh
Agreed it looks like he only had 10 min to review the car, the dude is even clueless of how turn signals work even some owners are still confused how to use turn signals. It’s lane change turn signal it turns off automatically after 3 blinks, or you can change in settings for 5 blinks there is no need to press opposite direction to turn off.
Old 09-15-20, 09:26 PM
azn406
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Just posted!!
What is it with reviewer playing in the rocks? It's annoying to hear crunch crunch argh!!
Kinda a weird review, he didn't even spend a min or so with the new 10.3 screen or show us car play or put it in reverse, does it have a back up cam? Also kinda let down that Lexus could not have added a power trunk close switch on the top of the trunk, even BMW has that on the 3 series. Step up to the F Sport which is going to cost more, it's missing some features already on other brands. The caramel leather color is really nice but they over did it by adding it to the dash, it would have looked classier without that.
Disappointing for sure. And yes, hopefully we get more in-depth reviews soon so we can see more of whatever has changed in action. It's mid-September already and this car is supposed to come out November-ish. Lexus has been really quiet about this car despite making a huge deal about it for the reveal.

Yeah, power trunk is standard across the IS's competitors as noted -- it's in the current C-Class and 3-Series. This is why I nitpicked from the initial reveal because all the little things Lexus didn't implement (like power-folding mirrors) will start to add up. In the end, all the car will have going for it is a better reliability due to its skeleton that has been proven to be decent for a long time now and a refreshed exterior. But it will fall short on overall driving performance and the little details. Lexus always falls behind on infotainment and these little features. I wonder when automated parking assist will make it into any of its cars. Mercedes and Audi have already brought this into the US.

Last edited by azn406; 09-15-20 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 09:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
I just want an in depth review with an FSport model. This is a half-assed review with a base model. Mehhh
What does F Sport offer that makes any difference? I've not seen it and it's why I have two F cars and zero F Sport cars.
Old 09-15-20, 11:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

The biggest news with that video is the new blue color. Excellent. That is exactly what the sporty IS needed. However, it makes Ultra Sonic Blue a lot less important now that there is this offering. But then again, Lexus has been foul by not making USB widely available in CA for a good year. A similar pattern happened with last year's NX, where Vortex Blue was offered on base models and USB on F-Sport models. The Vortex looked better, but was ultimately discontinued.

The reviewer makes a mistake by stating the 6-speed auto is due to the V6. Rather, it is due to the AWD.

Once again, parking a fancy sedan on dirt drags down the image.

Old 09-16-20, 05:01 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

It amazing how a bad car review like this one can bring your expectations down on a new release. I found the video to be so bad, it was not only rushed but the cameraman was terrible. They got an off angle view of the 10.3 screen and I almost laughed when the reviewer had to go and open the car door for the camera man. Huh? Weird.

It was the worse view of the IS inside and out and a lot of negativity instead of positive elements. I was really impressed with the 2 prior IS 350 videos at the race track but this IS 300 was a huge let down.
Old 09-16-20, 05:21 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

After watching that video I hate the reviewer. Lol! It's almost like he was reviewing the car because he owed someone a favor.

I like the blue exterior color...the caramel interior, all I can say is 'less is more'...maybe if they scaled it back just a tad, like instead of the entire seat top being caramel, just make the inserts caramel.
He has no idea how the turn signals work...whatever.
It has a CD player...and so what?!
No auto-closing trunk...um, do you see how small the trunk lid is?! What's next, auto-closing gas doors!
Basically he was saying he hates the front and rear lights on the 2014-2020 IS, but likes the lights on the 2021.
And not much rear head room or leg room...ok, so since the IS has built a reputation on a spacious rear seat, I can see how this is a let down (sarcasm)

Damn that screen is big!

EDIT: Almost forgot, he said that one had a 6 speed cause it has a 3.5L...um no, it has a 6 speed cause it's AWD...smh!
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (09-17-20)
Old 09-16-20, 07:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I have a feeling most of the reviews will pan the car. It will have a nice exterior along with a pleasant interior but the heart and soul of the car is the powertrain and this one isn't any different than the earlier versions...which were universally panned also for being too weak.
Old 09-17-20, 10:32 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
It amazing how a bad car review like this one can bring your expectations down on a new release. I found the video to be so bad, it was not only rushed but the cameraman was terrible. They got an off angle view of the 10.3 screen and I almost laughed when the reviewer had to go and open the car door for the camera man. Huh? Weird.

It was the worse view of the IS inside and out and a lot of negativity instead of positive elements. I was really impressed with the 2 prior IS 350 videos at the race track but this IS 300 was a huge let down.
yeah. The base IS 300 wheels are also ugly.
Old 09-17-20, 10:40 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
yeah. The base IS 300 wheels are also ugly.
The reviewer car looks unfinished. And the wheels look like something you'd see on a Dodge Caravan.
Old 09-17-20, 11:53 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Agreed it looks like he only had 10 min to review the car, the dude is even clueless of how turn signals work even some owners are still confused how to use turn signals. It’s lane change turn signal it turns off automatically after 3 blinks, or you can change in settings for 5 blinks there is no need to press opposite direction to turn off.
I didn't watch it but I already know what you mean. A lot of reviews like that. And people take them to heart too.

last one I watched on a 3IS they blatantly gave misinformation just because they didn't know. Stating it didn't have certain features which they all do have, etc.
Old 09-17-20, 02:18 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919
The reviewer car looks unfinished. And the wheels look like something you'd see on a Dodge Caravan.
exactly. The IS300 looked cheap. You can't even get it in an Fsport anymore. I guess they are trying to force everyone into the 350.
Old 09-17-20, 02:32 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

exactly. The IS300 looked cheap. You can't even get it in an Fsport anymore. I guess they are trying to force everyone into the 350.
I think this reviewer car is just not what a production base model will look like. It looks cheap, compared to the test track cars.
Old 09-17-20, 02:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I can't stand this particular reviewer.. i think between him and his dad, they kind of shouldn't be reviewing cars. The russian guy they review with sometimes is kind of entertaining though

anyway back on topic..

I dunno the car looks kind of like a toy and its new large body design details seems to make the car look clown like given they updated the design, but kept the same wheelbase (for obvious reasons). Looks short and stubby. Not convinced yet this major design refresh works well with old bones. It's almost sort of obvious this is the same old car in a way. then they pan over to the interior whose blocky designs isn't doing in any favors nearly 10 years after its original debut. I still think this car will make a nice cheap lease. As with many car designs, the original (in this case, 2014-2016) was the best. Every successive update sort of chipped away at the 3IS's mojo proportion wise.
The following users liked this post:
m0chafrap (09-18-20)
Old 09-17-20, 02:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What does F Sport offer that makes any difference? I've not seen it and it's why I have two F cars and zero F Sport cars.
Typically, you get exterior aesthetic goodies such as bumper/garnishes, interior such as seats, headliner, steering wheel, pedals. F sport cars (per my research and postings here) traditionally get their own brake boosters, though i've never found out the actual difference. Even my CT200H F Sport (Prius) gets its own brake booster part # vs. non-sport. Maybe they're tuned slightly differently for a "sportier" brake feel. I don't know. My CT also gets machined polished wheels and a black painted roof in F Sport trim. F sport variants of the 3IS have also got high friction pads that are made in germany (BMW's supplier--also an E46ct first)

suspension wise, usually revised dampers, sway bars

tires usually summer rubber w/ larger wheels

it's just an all around no brainer. i've said it before for the 3IS F sport, but the money is worth it for the seats alone.

F Sport with the 14-16 IS also got you LED headlights.

Old 09-17-20, 03:32 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

If this is Lexus mentality than were in deep trouble. If we go on the past, dealerships kept very little inventory of 350’s. Browsing dealerships inventory always showed 25-30 IS 250, 300’s in stock and about 1 or 2 IS 350’s and sometimes no 350’s for weeks at a time. My predictions will be the F Sports will become pretty rare to find at dealerships. This is not good.

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads