IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 07:20 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
I like being able to utilize Google Maps/Apple Maps and Waze as well as listening to and replying to texts. Is it a "must"? Not necessarily. But if you invest in the entire Apple ecosystem, it is a +++. I think more and more manufacturers will have this as an option. Including the Android version.
You can still do all of this, just not through the infotainment ...except for the text reading part. I bought a Proclip mount, stuck my Galaxy S10+ over the right air vent out of the way of the main screen and HVAC controls; voila, old school Android Auto.

I can still use Google Maps surprisingly well despite a smaller screen, or I switch it to voice nav prompts via Bluetooth. The IS can read incoming texts with near perfect accuracy, and you can reply to them with pre-canned responses. You can also go to your SMS app and hit the voice button to reply via voice, or say Hey Siri or OK Google to prompt the assistant to send a text message for you.

I even set it up so that my phone automatically unlocks when it detects a trusted Bluetooth source, which I've set to my car, the idea being I would never have to enter my pin to unlock my phone while the car is started.

All in all, I don't need Android Auto and would never disqualify a car based on its absence. I care the most about the car itself, not the infotainment, because I'll be driving it and not trying to use it as a mobile entertainment platform.

This is not an excuse for Lexus to slack off on new tech, but as it is right now, Android Auto / Apple Carplay are not necessities because your phone is still the endpoint where you interact with the services.
Old 01-15-20, 07:28 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
I always wonder that too. I mean, I had it in my 2018 Honda Accord and I loved it, why not the IS? There has to be some type of reasoning that isn't being made public considering Lexus has it in other models.
It's simple, they want to make the 2021 IS launch a success. The 2020 RC350 gets the new tech, and is made in the same factory as the IS350, but the latter is being left out only because this is the last model year of the 3IS.
Old 01-15-20, 08:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Awesome, thank you for sharing. So youd say that the 3IS has good steering feel? The good body control can be attributed to the sway bars which I hear are good for stock units.

The tendency to understeer is more the result of alignment. Engineers purposely tune the suspension geometry and alignment on majority of vehicles to induce understeer because it is "safer" and more easy to control for the average driver than tail happy oversteer.

Then you get cars like the Camaro ZLI, which wows everyone by having 315 width tires all around and race oriented alignment straight from the factory. Cant expect it to not handle well..
The steering feel is a little numb sometimes but less so than some other cars I've driven.

I'd say Porsche Macan, Camaro SS, and Jaguar XF all had heavier weight and/or more feel to their steering, but I think the IS has a nice balance for daily driving. The 350 RWD also feels a little better than AWD.
Old 01-15-20, 05:47 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I was looking forward to the next generation IS not a refresh. I am worried that the GS is going and now the IS is fading...is Lexus going under as a car manufacturer? Seriously..I’m starting to worry.
Old 01-15-20, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Lexus is doing fine in their appliance cars and SUVs. They are just neglecting their performance cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
athanato (01-15-20), davyjordi (01-26-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:37 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
It's getting out of hand, just give me a fun and engaging car as you stated, i just want to DRIVE. Cars are coming with active cruise control, lane departure assist, news apps in the infotainment, etc etc... Obviously these things aren't completely meant to be used for self driving, but people are becoming more comfortable in using tech to let it drive for them.

I use my navigation system in the car. That's why I got navigation, so I don't have any needs to use maps from my phone. I can either enter in the address, or in my case I just speak to it and say 'take me to *say address, POI whatever'. Works like a champ. Traffic alerts and all show up on navigation. It is automatically updated via OTA as well if there are map updates.

Not sure why anyone would prefer Google Maps over the navigation? Literally the same, unless you're buying an older car where the maps aren't updated?
Yup I agree I just want to drive the car. I steer away from too much tech. The only thing my car had is BSM which I love (although I still look), backup camera awesome (although i still look), and NAV which I didnt even care to have.

I differ on your point on navigation. While I like the NAV in this car I rarely use it. Main reason being I mostly want my Google maps for traffic data. Much, much more up to the minute accurate than the HD radio traffic in the IS Nav.

My ETA on Google maps is accurate within 5 minutes or so. IS nav is never accurate when traffic is involved.
Old 01-17-20, 11:51 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

So some want just a drivers car with less tech and some want their car with all the tech, why should 1 side get their way and not the other? Manufacturers have to keep that in mind and I fall in the I like tech category so those dismissing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as over hyped and unnecessary maybe what you guys want is unnecessary to others. Food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
Gladius (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 11:58 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
So some want just a drivers car with less tech and some want their car with all the tech, why should 1 side get their way and not the other? Manufacturers have to keep that in mind and I fall in the I like tech category so those dismissing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as over hyped and unnecessary maybe what you guys want is unnecessary to others. Food for thought.
Anyone expecting less tech in a new car .......not gonna happen. Its 2020 and a very cut throat industry, nobody will come out with a new car with minimal tech. Especially at this price point. If someone wants less tech, they should look at a base model Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris.
The following 2 users liked this post by JBison73:
Gladius (01-17-20), KYLexusMkr (01-18-20)
Old 01-24-20, 02:37 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What value? lol
Still trolling here? Go drive your 330.
Old 01-25-20, 08:34 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MartNX
carplay, heads up display, remote touchpad as NX / RX / RC
...and the UX.
Old 01-25-20, 08:42 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I would dread even having to imagine entering in a destination address in the IS.
With Apple Carplay, entering a destination is like child’s play. All you say is, “Hey Siri, give me directions to {place name or address}.”
Old 01-26-20, 12:22 AM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 4th generation IS might need to be full electric to complete. Toyota IMO, would not mechanically engineer a new platform for the next 8 years without an electric drivetrain. So they will continue to refresh it until they have a future ready platform. We’re at a crossroads.
Old 01-26-20, 06:42 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Roffles
The 4th generation IS might need to be full electric to complete. Toyota IMO, would not mechanically engineer a new platform for the next 8 years without an electric drivetrain. So they will continue to refresh it until they have a future ready platform. We’re at a crossroads.
Wasn't there a story last year saying that Lexus was going to offer an electric option for every vehicle in their lineup by 2025?
Old 01-26-20, 08:25 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Wasn't there a story last year saying that Lexus was going to offer an electric option for every vehicle in their lineup by 2025?
Electrified option meaning it could be either BEV or plug in hybrid or fuel cell. Toyota is a couple generations behind the EV leaders so their next gen EV may not be so good. Of course their combustion engines haven't exactly set the world on fire so maybe they just want to build a appliance in this segment.
Old 01-26-20, 08:54 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Electrified option meaning it could be either BEV or plug in hybrid or fuel cell. Toyota is a couple generations behind the EV leaders so their next gen EV may not be so good. Of course their combustion engines haven't exactly set the world on fire so maybe they just want to build a appliance in this segment.

Sorry, I meant hybrid options by 2025.

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads