IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 12:53 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINKLES
I agree... As a car enthusiast, I can get behind what Doug was saying. However, we are looking at getting my wife an IS350 and she is not a car enthusiast, so I kept having to remind myself "This is not a car for you... it's for your wife." and w/ that, 311 is plenty. Currently, her '08 Acura TL has plenty of power for her and it's a decent amount less and slower than the IS, so what Doug said, in regards to power, won't mean anything to us.
311hp is plenty fast for the vast majority of people, me included. In fact, I don't know more than 2-3 people that have vehicles with more hp.
Old 10-25-20, 03:42 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

There's a recent video review of the IS 350 by MotoManTV (I don't remember his name) but he mentions the "tactile feel" of the shifter and how the Lexus has retained that when so many car manufactures are going to electronic shifter (like BMW) and you lose that feeling of engaging with the car's engine and transmission into getting the car going. I've test driven several 2020/2021 BMW's and there all electronic shifters and I still can't get use them. I agree with MotoMan there is something still special about moving that shifter and giving you that feel of it being connected to the transmission and sending you off your way vs pushing a button on BMW's electronic one. Unfortunately we are losing this feature with newer cars so it's nice that Lexus has (for now) still retained that driver focused involvement.
Old 10-25-20, 05:53 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
There's a recent video review of the IS 350 by MotoManTV (I don't remember his name) but he mentions the "tactile feel" of the shifter and how the Lexus has retained that when so many car manufactures are going to electronic shifter (like BMW) and you lose that feeling of engaging with the car's engine and transmission into getting the car going. I've test driven several 2020/2021 BMW's and there all electronic shifters and I still can't get use them. I agree with MotoMan there is something still special about moving that shifter and giving you that feel of it being connected to the transmission and sending you off your way vs pushing a button on BMW's electronic one. Unfortunately we are losing this feature with newer cars so it's nice that Lexus has (for now) still retained that driver focused involvement.
I hate electronic shifters. Looks awful and i agree that you really lose the feeling of engaging with the car. It is the way of the future, but I will avoid it for as long as possible.
Old 10-25-20, 06:50 PM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
311hp is plenty fast for the vast majority of people, me included. In fact, I don't know more than 2-3 people that have vehicles with more hp.
I've had one w/ more power for almost 20 years... but I do agree that the IS is plenty fast for the majority of people. Especially for someone who isn't a car enthusiast. It's no slouch. I think Doug was just referring to the comparison with the IS and its competition. The IS has been stuck at the same power level for years now. Even the Infinity Q50 comes in at 400hp. That's how I took what Doug was saying.

Last edited by SPRINKLES; 10-25-20 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ismelllike (10-27-20)
Old 10-25-20, 06:57 PM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Ha. I have the same feelings toward a manual transmission... which is why I have 3 vehicles that are sticks. However, they're antiquated and inefficient compared to how far automatics have come. I can see the automatic shifter also being something that gets phased out, as well. Sadly, it seems that cars are becoming much more of an appliance than an extension of our personalities. At least that's my take on it anyway.
Old 10-26-20, 06:13 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

311 was enough in the IS for me (technically 306 for me), but it could use more for me - I came from a car that was 400lbs lighter with the same horsepower, and before that a car that was under 3,000lbs with 300 at the wheels; so more is always better in my book, but I'm an anomaly in the Lexus world. I chose the IS over a 340i though & scatpack Charger, so more power doesn't mean a better car.

Originally Posted by SPRINKLES
Ha. I have the same feelings toward a manual transmission... which is why I have 3 vehicles that are sticks. However, they're antiquated and inefficient compared to how far automatics have come. I can see the automatic shifter also being something that gets phased out, as well. Sadly, it seems that cars are becoming much more of an appliance than an extension of our personalities. At least that's my take on it anyway.
Autos shift quicker than a manual, but they are not better in every way. This is my first auto in a long time, like since the late 90's/early 2000's. There are things an auto can't do, specifically while in Manual mode, like skip gears while going up or down - I have to flick the paddle until I get to the gear I want, and the transmission has to engage and disengage each gear on the way there. The paddle flick isn't the issue, it's the engaging and disengaging of every gear on the way that is. For example, going from 6th gear down to 3rd on the highway in a manual is a simple clutch, blip, and move the lever, in the IS going from 8th to 3rd on the highway is 5 flicks of the paddle and 5 gears along the way that are engaged and disengaged unnecessarily. I think KIa/Hyundai is working on a trans (or associated logic) that will allow it to skip two gears at a time, but in this scenario that still wouldn't be ideal.

With the auto you can't change your driving mood "on a whim" like you can with a manual, you have to plan to drive a certain way. Typically on the highway I'm in auto, eco-mode, with CC on; to go to "driving aggressive" that's slide of the shift lever to "M", three dial rotations to get to s+, & five paddle flicks to grab 3rd. I don't leave it in S+ on the highway because it will not engage 8th gear (and most times not even 7th). Admittedly, I am not the typical Lexus driver, and I did come from a more analog car (manual trans & no drive modes). I think a "user defined" drive mode would be a great option to help some of the issues I have with the car (picking nits here, honestly). I'd probably opt for S+ shift speed, S throttle mapping, TC & DSC off by default with CC still enabled (because it doesn't work when TC is off; thanks Toyota).

Although I like the exterior refresh, I'm not a fan of the refreshed console/center stack - they took a step forward by offering a touch screen, but took three steps backwards with the glide pad location, "tablet tacked to the dash" look & moving the drive mode switch further away from the driver. I touch that dial so often that my wife is started to get jealous.
Old 10-26-20, 06:32 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Originally Posted by Sid03SVT

Autos shift quicker than a manual, but they are not better in every way. This is my first auto in a long time, like since the late 90's/early 2000's. There are things an auto can't do, specifically while in Manual mode, like skip gears while going up or down - I have to flick the paddle until I get to the gear I want, and the transmission has to engage and disengage each gear on the way there. The paddle flick isn't the issue, it's the engaging and disengaging of every gear on the way that is. For example, going from 6th gear down to 3rd on the highway in a manual is a simple clutch, blip, and move the lever, in the IS going from 8th to 3rd on the highway is 5 flicks of the paddle and 5 gears along the way that are engaged and disengaged unnecessarily. I think KIa/Hyundai is working on a trans (or associated logic) that will allow it to skip two gears at a time, but in this scenario that still wouldn't be ideal.

With the auto you can't change your driving mood "on a whim" like you can with a manual, you have to plan to drive a certain way. Typically on the highway I'm in auto, eco-mode, with CC on; to go to "driving aggressive" that's slide of the shift lever to "M", three dial rotations to get to s+, & five paddle flicks to grab 3rd. I don't leave it in S+ on the highway because it will not engage 8th gear (and most times not even 7th). Admittedly, I am not the typical Lexus driver, and I did come from a more analog car (manual trans & no drive modes). I think a "user defined" drive mode would be a great option to help some of the issues I have with the car (picking nits here, honestly). I'd probably opt for S+ shift speed, S throttle mapping, TC & DSC off by default with CC still enabled (because it doesn't work when TC is off; thanks Toyota).
You're preaching to the choir, buddy... I never said they were better in every way. I've had a manual performance car since '02. I'm just saying automatics have come a long way from where they use to be. And yes, the "Hey, I'm going 70, so let's put it 3rd & floor it w/ little to no warning to my passenger" moments are a lot of fun with a manual.
Old 10-27-20, 02:46 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

natnut (10-27-20)
Old 10-27-20, 10:22 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

If Lexus actually properly updated the IS instead of refreshing it for a second time, it would likely have the same electronic shifter in the LS and LC 500. Lexus itself is not rejecting turbo V6 engines or electronic shifiters for the sake of being different, they're doing it because they don't feel inclined to invest the appropriate funds to replace a 7 year old car in a segment that they're losing interest in.
Ismelllike (10-28-20)
Old 10-28-20, 07:45 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
If Lexus actually properly updated the IS instead of refreshing it for a second time, it would likely have the same electronic shifter in the LS and LC 500. Lexus itself is not rejecting turbo V6 engines or electronic shifiters for the sake of being different, they're doing it because they don't feel inclined to invest the appropriate funds to replace a 7 year old car in a segment that they're losing interest in.
They're losing interest in, or the public has already lost interest in?
The following 2 users liked this post by JBison73:
Jeff Lange (10-28-20), lobuxracer (10-28-20)
Old 10-28-20, 08:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

They're losing interest in, or the public has already lost interest in?
Probably both. Public is moving toward CUVs so Lexus isn't interested in investing in sedans.
Jeff Lange (10-28-20)
Old 10-28-20, 10:11 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Does any one remember the times when gas was so high people were getting out of their SUV’s and utilities? Broncos and Expeditions ring a bell?...Trading in those 8-15 miles per gallon trucks.
Old 10-28-20, 10:13 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Does any one remember the times when gas was so high people were getting out of their SUV’s and utilities? Broncos and Expeditions ring a bell?...Trading in those 8-15 miles per gallon trucks.

Yep. I remember that, roughly 10-12yrs ago, nobody wanted their SUV's & trucks.
Old 10-28-20, 10:33 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

If you were in the market to buy now would you buy a SUV or a sedan/coupe? I’m torn as I only want the ride height but I still enjoy my 335i sedan. I test drive the 2021 RX and it felt heavy to me and no power at low rpm like my 335i. I’m leaning on getting the new IS even though it not really new. It’s weird because I had a 2007 IS 350 and the new IS has the exact same engine with same HP but it was always enough for me.
Old 10-28-20, 11:32 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yep. I remember that, roughly 10-12yrs ago, nobody wanted their SUV's & trucks.
Ha, I remember that. Thinking about it recently when every other car is a SUV/CUV. Wait, people used to hate those things...you could go get a V8 car/SUV for CHEAP because so many people were trying to lose them.

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads