IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 12:00 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Almost 500hp is slow? I'll take that engine in an IS in a heartbeat, the RCF sounds amazing and is plenty fast imo. I hope that weight is dropped though which is why the RCF is considered slower than it could be and why the track edition was created, which was a waste of time imo. But unless you're taking your car to the track why would anyone need more than 475hp? I'm not a huge fan of electric, because I like hearing the growl of an engine so I hope we get the V8 first because I'd get that and keep it for the next 10-15yrs before going electric. Lol
It today's market yes that is slow. Why would someone need "XXX amount of HP" is subjective. Bragging rights, fastest in area, etc whatever you want to call it. I honestly think BMW has set the standard as far as performance for the class. And I enjoy my lexus dont get me wrong, but the F80 M3/M4 Gen is actually one of the most reliable cars out there. Met a guy who owns one M3CS, downpipe and tune makes 580whp/640wtq and he gaps hellcats, FBO GTR, etc. Has had no issues for 30k HARD Driven miles.

RCF Track Edition will be a flop bc for whats is worth there are much better cars out there. For a 100k i would jump in a GTR that has the reliability and performance all in one.

Unless Lexus comes out with a real competitor in the performance sector I will likely join the other side bc for the same money i am still able to get reliability and performance.
The following users liked this post:
EZZ (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 12:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
It today's market yes that is slow. Why would someone need "XXX amount of HP" is subjective. Bragging rights, fastest in area, etc whatever you want to call it. I honestly think BMW has set the standard as far as performance for the class. And I enjoy my lexus dont get me wrong, but the F80 M3/M4 Gen is actually one of the most reliable cars out there. Met a guy who owns one M3CS, downpipe and tune makes 580whp/640wtq and he gaps hellcats, FBO GTR, etc. Has had no issues for 30k HARD Driven miles.

RCF Track Edition will be a flop bc for whats is worth there are much better cars out there. For a 100k i would jump in a GTR that has the reliability and performance all in one.

Unless Lexus comes out with a real competitor in the performance sector I will likely join the other side bc for the same money i am still able to get reliability and performance.
I completely agree with this. Lets not give Lexus any excuses...the RCF Track is waaaay overpriced. At least BMW gets it and they're responding to the competition. The Model 3 Performance is the new benchmark for speed and I think the M3 will be just as fast. Mercedes will also probably respond and so will Audi...who says the horsepower wars are over
Old 05-04-20, 12:22 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
I completely agree with this. Lets not give Lexus any excuses...the RCF Track is waaaay overpriced. At least BMW gets it and they're responding to the competition. The Model 3 Performance is the new benchmark for speed and I think the M3 will be just as fast. Mercedes will also probably respond and so will Audi...who says the horsepower wars are over
RCF Track Edition STARTS at 96k. I would rather buy a base RCF and buy CF hood, CF fenders, real racing seats, tune, headers, exhaust, wheels, suspension and I would still have money left over while trapping a faster 0-60 time.
Old 05-04-20, 12:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JNP1227
RCF Track Edition STARTS at 96k. I would rather buy a base RCF and buy CF hood, CF fenders, real racing seats, tune, headers, exhaust, wheels, suspension and I would still have money left over while trapping a faster 0-60 time.
I'd just buy an LC500 and look cooler for that much money A loaded Cayman is about that much money and would embarrass the RCF.
Old 05-04-20, 03:48 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'd just buy an LC500 and look cooler for that much money A loaded Cayman is about that much money and would embarrass the RCF.
I agree, I'd get the LC500. And a friend a mine had a Cayman and had nothing but problems. Again, unless you take it to the track, not sure why anyone cares about being embarrassed by anything....unless everyone is street racing. I guess I'm alone in not getting caught up in competition of horsepower. I like power but at a point it becomes more than anyone needs for the roads imo.

Last edited by JBison73; 05-04-20 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (05-12-20)
Old 05-04-20, 04:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, I'd get the LC500. And a friend a mine had a Cayman and had nothing but problems. Again, unless you take it to the track, not sure why anyone cares about being embarrassed by anything....unless everyone is street racing. I guess I'm alone in not getting caught up in competition of horsepower. I like power but at a point it becomes more than anyone needs for the roads imo.
Well, I assumed track because it is the Track Edition. Don't know why anyone would buy a track edition without going to the track.

If it wasn't a track machine, the LC500 is much better especially for the price. The Cayman is a really great track vehicle too. Balance is perfect in that car.
Old 05-06-20, 10:19 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, I assumed track because it is the Track Edition. Don't know why anyone would buy a track edition without going to the track.

If it wasn't a track machine, the LC500 is much better especially for the price. The Cayman is a really great track vehicle too. Balance is perfect in that car.
You can buy the LC500 for 60k now so yeah I agree I would take that car as well
Old 05-11-20, 07:26 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

https://www-motortrend-com.cdn.amppr...rom%20%251%24s

On sale since 2013, the third-generation Lexus IS received a major facelift in 2016, so you'd expect the soon-to-arrive 2021 model to be an all-new car. With shrinking market share for sedans, though, Lexus is taking a more conservative approach.The 2021 Lexus IS will not be an all-new model, and as such it will not be built on Toyota's TNGA-L luxury rear-drive architecture. Instead, it will soldier on with the existing New N platform introduced back in 2013.

This doesn't mean it'll drive the same, though. We're told the chassis has been upgraded, and the suspension has had a thorough rework, with the new IS being the first Lexus product developed at Toyota's new Shimoyama facility, a Nürburgring-like R&D center in the mountains outside Toyota City, Japan. The exterior styling will pull influence from the latest Lexus models. Taking cues from the LS, we believe Lexus will slightly tone down the controversial "spindle" grille by blending it into the front end with fewer protrusions. The headlights will also be updated to the new style, with the swoosh DRLs moved inside the headlight lenses. A new rear end will be enhanced by more pronounced hips over a wider rear track to give the car a sportier stance. Although the bones of the car have had work done, we expect very few changes under the hood. Our understanding is the current engines will carry over.

This means a base 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four making 241 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, a midgrade 3.5-liter V-6 making 260 hp and 236 lb-ft, and a high-performance 3.5-liter V-6 making 311 hp and 277 lb-ft. All will be had with rear-drive and an eight-speed automatic, with all-wheel drive available only on V-6 models. If you were hoping the death of the larger GS sedan might mean the return of the IS F sport sedan, keep hoping. As of right now, there's no IS F in the cards, though with the IS having to cover for the GS now, Lexus is considering a new range-topping IS 500. Rather than the GS F's 5.0-liter V-8, the IS 500 would borrow the LS 500's 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6 good for 416 hp and 442 lb-ft. Lexus product planners are still deciding if this model makes sense, so you definitely won't see it at launch. Start rattling cages if you want to see it come to market. Plugging the hole left by the GS will require a more luxurious interior, and Lexus has that front covered. The dashboard will get a rework to bring it up to date with the latest styling language, so expect influence from the LS. Likewise, the infotainment will be upgraded to Lexus' latest hardware and software, a marginal improvement from one of the least intuitive user interfaces in the industry.

Lexus had planned to reveal the new IS at the since-postponed New York auto show and is now targeting an independent reveal sometime this summer. Because it's a major overhaul rather than an all-new product, we expect prices to remain the same, with the base car coming in just a hair under $40,000 when it goes on sale late this year (barring any further delay).
Old 05-11-20, 09:50 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

On sale since 2013, the third-generation Lexus IS received a major facelift in 2016...
Did Lexus send photos of the new IS to Motor Trend?? And, why did they write "... the third-generation Lexus IS received a major facelift in 2016..." - is that a typo? Wasn't the "major facelift" in the 2014 model (ok well STARTED SELLING in late 2013), 2015 fixed a lot of issues associated with the debut, and the 2016 model consisted of some minor cosmetic enhancements?

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-11-20 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 02:33 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Did Lexus send photos of the new IS to Motor Trend?? And, why did they write "... the third-generation Lexus IS received a major facelift in 2016..." - is that a typo? Wasn't the "major facelift" in the 2014 model (ok well STARTED SELLING in late 2013), 2015 fixed a lot of issues associated with the debut, and the 2016 model consisted of some minor cosmetic enhancements?
Major facelift was actually for the MY 2017 which released 2016 so technically it’s correct. That’s when the front was changed and other tweaks were made.
Old 05-12-20, 02:50 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Duplicate.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-12-20 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 03:04 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5
Major facelift was actually for the MY 2017 which released 2016 so technically it’s correct. That’s when the front was changed and other tweaks were made.
Wasn't 2016 also the first year for the 200t?
Old 05-12-20, 03:10 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Wasn't 2016 also the first year for the 200t?
Yeah but MY 2016 would have came out 2015.
Old 05-12-20, 04:07 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yeah but MY 2016 would have came out 2015.
Technically yes, but wasn't it the 2016 model? I think they're going by the model year.
Old 05-12-20, 04:45 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Technically yes, but wasn't it the 2016 model? I think they're going by the model year.
Yeah that’s what I’m saying haha. The 200t came out MY 2016. There isn’t a 2015 200t lol.

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads