IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 09:51 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads

Two Japanese sources are claiming that the Lexus IS sedan may be getting a refresh this year rather than a next-generation model, as was previously reported. The first indication comes from Kuru Mag, with the following translated text: Seven years have passed since the 30 Series “Lexus IS” appeared in May 2013, so it is time for a full model change, but it will be partially improved in the fall of 2020. It is said that the reason why the full model change was canceled was that the IS class FR model would be abolished in the future due to the review of the model sold by Lexus .

The main improvements in the next Lexus IS are changes to the exterior and interior design and the setting of new grades and body colors . This has also been reported by Best Car, who are claiming that the IS will receive a minor change in October, with both facts lining up to the Kuru Mag rumor. An earlier report from Japanese website Response said the next-generation IS would arrive in 2021 with a new 2.4L turbo engine — however, no camouflaged prototypes have been spotted and no new trademarks have been filed.

Historically, these two things are precursors to a next-generation model. Could Lexus really be planning to stretch out the lifecycle of the third-generation IS? What does this mean for the brand’s car lineup, which has already seen the GS slowly fade to black? The conversation is already heating up in the forums, and is sure to burn bright with this new rumor.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2020/01/08/is-lexus-planning-a-third-refresh-for-the-is-sedan/

Last edited by JBison73; 01-09-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 03:15 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

While it is hard to say for sure what is their plan, the fact we haven't seen any camouflaged vehicle is a bit worrisome and may suggest that we won't see a new IS until 2021 as I find it hard to believe we'll see something now this calendar year which is unfortunate....
Old 01-10-20, 04:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Saw an article on CarBuzz claiming the same, just another refresh for 2021...which also includes a 2.4L Turbo.
Given that a refresh will last probably 3 years, I would now guesstimate that a new IS won't be released until 2024 model year.
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 04:38 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Given that a refresh will last probably 3 years, I would now guesstimate that a new IS won't be released until 2024 model year.
Got to agree with that. No way would they invest in a ‘refresh’ for a single model year.
Old 01-10-20, 04:44 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

wow! so they are going 10 years without a redesign!
Old 01-10-20, 05:13 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

There has been no word regarding the much-desired high-performance IS F, last seen in 2014. If this latest report is ultimately true, then why is Lexus planning yet another facelift instead of a complete redesign? Although we can only make an educated guess, the likely answer is because it's the less expensive solution for a segment that, while still worthwhile, is losing ground almost annually. Major players in the luxury sport sedan market, specifically the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, are far more capable of withstanding the continued crossover onslaught. Both have years of name recognition and loyal customers.

The 3 Series has long been and continues to be the segment's benchmark.We may not know the overall scope of this rumored IS facelift, but Lexus appears to still be determined to stay in the fight. The midsize Lexus GS and GS F also remain on sale for 2020, but their respective futures are still in doubt. We likely won't know the status of the Lexus IS for certain until an official announcement arrives. So far though, this is the most realistic update we've received.
https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-final...aging-is-sedan
Old 01-10-20, 06:03 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

That could make sense for the following reasons:

1. Give Lexus a chance to assess whether the car segment is worthy of conserving
2. Maybe come up with a single sedan between the IS/GS
3. Allow more time to develop that new joint venture power plant with Mazda

Personally, I like the current IS design for what its worth I loved the MMC with the new front but I must admit that I like the PMC taillights better

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-10-20 at 06:06 AM.
Moisture (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 06:14 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
That could make sense for the following reasons:

1. Give Lexus a chance to assess whether the car segment is worthy of conserving
2. Maybe come up with a single sedan between the IS/GS
3. Allow more time to develop that new joint venture power plant with Mazda

Personally, I like the current IS design for what its worth I loved the MMC with the new front but I must admit that I like the PMC taillights better
'

Very cogent points listed here. 99% of the time when individuals make comments in regards to a brands marketing strategy on these type of forums, they are quite frankly talking out of their A$$hole.

The plant with Mazda is a good point. it pretty much confirms that the next engine used for the IS is going to be Mazda's skyactiv-x compression ignition tech.

When the IS first came out, I thought it was hideous along with many others. I really did not expect for it to age as well as it did over the years.
wthrman2 (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 07:50 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Good for us current owners car's value will last a bit longer.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Drcoffee (06-15-20), LaZeR (04-06-20)
Old 01-10-20, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

It obviously costs big big bucks to develop an entirely new chassis... so given the established players C Class, 3 Series, Tesla 3, etc. are already facing crossover doom, it would be hard(er) for Toyota to make a business case before seeing if sedans are capable of making a come back. They'd be better off devoting resources to the next NX, LX, RX which I'm sure they are. So a third refresh makes $en$e.

The Tesla Model 3 seems to be the only one bucking the crossover trend. It has that much appeal it seems. From what I see, the Tesla M3 totally smoked BMW and Mercedes in sales.

As said, it is strange that we haven't seen a test mule or camo'd 4IS at this point yet. You usually start seeing those two years before announcement.
Old 01-10-20, 08:52 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Great minds think alike *lol*

Now on the topic that we both raised about seeing if the sedan market is viable to determine if its worth investing, that is the bit that always annoy me. It is hard to sell something you don't make, or don't make well! There is no denying that SUV are the new craze and many are flocking to it, that being said, there are still plenty of sedans being sold....the 3 series and C class comes to mind. Sure, their respective numbers are lower than before, however, if the IS sold what the 3 series sell today, Lexus would be doing cartwheels. So it goes to show you that there are still LOTS of sedans being sold....You just need to work harder at building a car wants and they'll come. Recall when the 3G Acura TL came out...It was outselling the 3series for a while until BMW said WTF and upped their games and Acura just threw their arms down and decided to focus more on their reliability than keeping the effort to make their TL better and better....and then 2009 came....OMG
Old 01-10-20, 09:42 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

^^ Great minds think alike *lol*

Now on the topic that we both raised about seeing if the sedan market is viable to determine if its worth investing, that is the bit that always annoy me. It is hard to sell something you don't make, or don't make well! There is no denying that SUV are the new craze and many are flocking to it, that being said, there are still plenty of sedans being sold....the 3 series and C class comes to mind. Sure, their respective numbers are lower than before, however, if the IS sold what the 3 series sell today, Lexus would be doing cartwheels. So it goes to show you that there are still LOTS of sedans being sold....You just need to work harder at building a car wants and they'll come. Recall when the 3G Acura TL came out...It was outselling the 3series for a while until BMW said WTF and upped their games and Acura just threw their arms down and decided to focus more on their reliability than keeping the effort to make their TL better and better....and then 2009 came....OMG
In the sedan market, if you want to succeed it is almost purely brand image. The Mazda 6 is a fantastic sedan (one which I own, and enjoy very much) but its sales are dismal in comparison to Honda or Toyota.
Old 01-10-20, 10:01 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Brand is one thing for sure.....But brand is the result of fine engineering and years of outputting exceptional driving vehicles. The Mazda 6 I agree is a great vehicle but I think poor marketing and not doing enough to standout is its demise. And Mazda has been having some issues with quality for medium to long term and the whole rust issue too....all these things aren't helping. The same way that we all know that German vehicles are not reliable long term, we all know they are great to own while on warranty and engaging as heck to drive.

Let's also not forget one thing, and let's be totally honest here too - I would dare to say that 90% of car buyers go by what they read/hear and the car magazines and TV shows have been certainly pushing toward Honda/Toyota for reliability and resale value. All I hear about teh Mazda 6 is that, Great car but be prepared to lose a lot of money in serious depreciation, so just go buy a Camry or an Accord so that also is a huge reason the 6 maybe doesn't sell as it should
Old 01-10-20, 10:17 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

^^ Brand is one thing for sure.....But brand is the result of fine engineering and years of outputting exceptional driving vehicles. The Mazda 6 I agree is a great vehicle but I think poor marketing and not doing enough to standout is its demise. And Mazda has been having some issues with quality for medium to long term and the whole rust issue too....all these things aren't helping. The same way that we all know that German vehicles are not reliable long term, we all know they are great to own while on warranty and engaging as heck to drive.

Let's also not forget one thing, and let's be totally honest here too - I would dare to say that 90% of car buyers go by what they read/hear and the car magazines and TV shows have been certainly pushing toward Honda/Toyota for reliability and resale value. All I hear about teh Mazda 6 is that, Great car but be prepared to lose a lot of money in serious depreciation, so just go buy a Camry or an Accord so that also is a huge reason the 6 maybe doesn't sell as it should
Back when Mazda was stuck with Ford, yes, Ford forced the brand to cost cut on nearly everything. As soon as the merger was over Mazda went back to building quality Japanese vehicles. Mine has this feeling of excellent solidity to it and I havent had one single issue with it at over 100k miles. It has proven itself to be an incredibly solid and dependable car on the Mazda forums.

The rust issues are long gone, with the introduction of double-dipped galvanized steel panels. Mazda still uses very thin clear coat though , unfortunately. But I have to admit the cars build quality and reliability is top-notch.
Old 01-10-20, 10:20 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Good for us current owners car's value will last a bit longer.
What value? lol

Quick Reply: Merged 2021 IS re-design / refresh threads