IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

30k Service Price Outrageous

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 01:48 PM
idleninjaz
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
$170 hourly rate???? That’s a typo right?
My cities 2 Lexus dealers charge $125. If that’s not a typo what are they doing to warrant charging almost $50 more than some other Lexus dealers?
It's actually very competitive to nearby dealers lol. We are very high volume so there's a lot of overhead costs to cover too.
Old 01-16-20, 02:02 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by idleninjaz
It's actually very competitive to nearby dealers lol. We are very high volume so there's a lot of overhead costs to cover too.
omg that’s so high my heads spinning. I’m in Ottawa, everything here is expensive as heck and dealers only 125. Even in Toronto i think dealers only 140ish. I can’t imagine, as a customer looking at a bill and seeing I’m paying almost $200 after tax per hour for Lexus to work on my car.
Old 01-16-20, 04:34 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

So I was able to get a breakdown and more info. My dealer also include "replace rear differential oil" which is approx a $200 service. This, even though the manual says "inspect rear diff oil." I'm wondering if this is how they boost the price or if 90% of the time it's needed so they just include it legitimately. Looking at all of the service intervals, it seems that it's always "inspect oil" and it never says replace, so I guess that means you just replace it when it's needed.

Since it's a package there is an overall discount applied but if you remove items I guess that removes the discount as well.
Rough prices I was given (I guess there isn't really a price list, he'd have to type each one in to the computer to get a price so I was happy with ball parks).
Oil change: $190
Brake Fluid $180
Engine Air & Cabin filters: $100
Rear Diff $200

So there you go, that's how you get to $699.
Old 01-16-20, 05:34 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

The tuna sandwich and the bottle of water that you ate while waiting is also included in $699 as hidden charges.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 05:46 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by azmojo
So I was able to get a breakdown and more info. My dealer also include "replace rear differential oil" which is approx a $200 service. This, even though the manual says "inspect rear diff oil." I'm wondering if this is how they boost the price or if 90% of the time it's needed so they just include it legitimately. Looking at all of the service intervals, it seems that it's always "inspect oil" and it never says replace, so I guess that means you just replace it when it's needed.

Since it's a package there is an overall discount applied but if you remove items I guess that removes the discount as well.
Rough prices I was given (I guess there isn't really a price list, he'd have to type each one in to the computer to get a price so I was happy with ball parks).
Brake Fluid $180
Rear Diff $200

$200 for rear diff???
My Lexus dealer charged me $37 for that when I did it on my 2015 350....It’s literally faster and easier than an oil change. That’s nothing short of robbery. Absolutely disgusting.
Old 01-16-20, 06:25 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Brake Fluid $180
Rear Diff $200

Dealer recommendation and Lexus owners manual recommendation are usually always 2 different things. Dealer likes to make more money so they will tell you change this and that sooner.
Old 01-17-20, 07:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
$200 for rear diff???
My Lexus dealer charged me $37 for that when I did it on my 2015 350....It’s literally faster and easier than an oil change. That’s nothing short of robbery. Absolutely disgusting.
Lol you’re not wrong. It takes like 30 minutes max to do it. Unscrew drain plug, drain, screw drain plug back in, unscrew fill bolt, fill until it starts to leak out so you know it’s full, screw fill bolt back in. Done.
Old 01-21-20, 03:10 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

I sucked it up and paid for the 30k service at Arrowhead Lexus (AZ) and I learned a few things. Total came to $655 after $35 service coupon, otherwise it would have been about $690-700

1. With regard to the "Check Differential Fluid" item. I was told that they check the differential fluid by draining it. Once it's drained, they're not going to put the old oil back in, which is why they just change it. Note that the service manual never says when to change the oil, always to just check it.
2. Total parts charges for all items except diff oil was $218 including 2 FOB batteries at $8ea, oil, oil filter, and cabin and engine air filters.
3. Total labor for all items except diff oil was $332.
4. Diff Oil change was about $74, parts and labor, so not a huge portion of the bill like I kind of originally thought.
5. $46 Disposal fee and shop supplies fee.

A final note: While I coul dhave saved money by not going through the dealer, I often sell my vehicles private party, and providing dealer service documentation does seem to help get a better price and make an easier sale.
Old 01-21-20, 05:17 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I sucked it up and paid for the 30k service at Arrowhead Lexus (AZ) and I learned a few things. Total came to $655 after $35 service coupon, otherwise it would have been about $690-700

1. With regard to the "Check Differential Fluid" item. I was told that they check the differential fluid by draining it. Once it's drained, they're not going to put the old oil back in, which is why they just change it. Note that the service manual never says when to change the oil, always to just check it.
2. Total parts charges for all items except diff oil was $218 including 2 FOB batteries at $8ea, oil, oil filter, and cabin and engine air filters.
3. Total labor for all items except diff oil was $332.
4. Diff Oil change was about $74, parts and labor, so not a huge portion of the bill like I kind of originally thought.
5. $46 Disposal fee and shop supplies fee.

A final note: While I coul dhave saved money by not going through the dealer, I often sell my vehicles private party, and providing dealer service documentation does seem to help get a better price and make an easier sale.
That's not how you check Diff. fluid...that's a fluid replacement.
If you really want to check diff. fluid, remove the fill plug, observe a small amount drip out, and replace the fill plug.
If nothing comes out, the fluid is low, top it up or change it (assuming you've confirmed there is no leak)...if it does come out and it's dirty, change it.
There is no where on this planet that checking diff. fluid involves draining it.

Having said that, what they charged you to "check" it seems to be below market value. The diff. fluid is kinda pricey, so it doesn't leave much room for labor in $74.
Although, $332 for labor on the rest of the items seems a little high as basically they did an oil change, 2 filters, 2 batteries, and checked the brakes.
My best guess is that the service advisor did a little creative accounting with the labor rate for the diff. fluid change and the rest of the service.
30K Miles is still a good time to change diff. fluid anyways, so all in all the vehicle did get the service it needed.
It would just be nice if they were straight forward about the servicing...that way there's no second guessing their integrity.
Old 01-21-20, 05:30 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

At the end of the day if finances aren’t an issue, go to the dealer. If you understand you can save thousands and thousands by NOT going to the dealer and that money is important to you, I would recommend that you find a good, honest, reliable mechanic to do the majority of its servicing.
And also do your own research, learn a bit about your car that way you know when your being taken for a ride.

google search mechanics in your city, find a highly rated and thoroughly reviewed establishment THAT IS BUSY. If they aren’t busy they aren’t good. I like a mechanic that says he can’t see me for a week, that tells me he has a ton of people bringing cars to him which usually is a guarantee their good.

Once you find a good, honest & reliable mechanic hold on to him until he retires.

I personally would never let the dealer do engine or cabin filter, batteries, oil change, diff change when I can do them myself or have a independent mechanic do it for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by NickCaesar; 01-21-20 at 05:34 PM.