IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 or IS 300 tuned

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 10:41 PM
Kentenmd1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 or IS 300 tuned

Hello. I am in the market for a Lexus IS. Only problem I am finding in my search is that it seems the IS 350 is very rare in non f sport. The reason I cannot do F sport is the uncomfortable seats. I enjoy the power of the IS 350 versus the IS 300. I am looking for '15-'18 models due to limited budget and have concentrated on 2016. I have done research on the RR Racing tune and am curious anyone's opinion on that. Honestly I would rather find an IS 350 but could settle for an IS 300 if the tune is legit and feels like the IS 350. Also, if it doesn't negate a factory warrantee as well. Anyone with first hand knowledge I would be greatly appreciative.
Old 01-23-20, 04:09 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

If your budget is limited, why rule out the 2014 IS 350? (you said your search was starting with the ‘15)
Old 01-23-20, 06:05 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Kentenmd1
Also, if it doesn't negate a factory warrantee as well. Anyone with first hand knowledge I would be greatly appreciative.
Having a tune on your car will not void out the warranty outright. But, the answer is not so cut and dry. Technically, by law, they are not to deny a warranty claim unless they can blame the 'mod' you did on the issue you are having. As an example, your headlight goes out, they cannot deny a warranty claim to replace your headlight because your engine is tuned. But if you start experiencing any problems with the engine / sensors, even though the tune likely didn't not cause it, they can deny the claim and blame the tune. It may also depend on who the service tech is and if he cares/ is cool. A lot of techs are car tuners / enthusiasts themselves and won't mention the tune and/or have the knowledge and experience to know that the issue you are having was not caused by the tune. But you could get a tech who is a hard *** also. I have friends who had taken their car, with the tune left on, for service and they never said anything, but I've read horror stories of the opposite also.

The good news with the RR racing tune, they send you the OBD programmer, so you can flash back to stock anytime you want, then back to your tune at will, so you can flash back to the stock map before taking it in for service at a lexas dealership then apply the tune back afterwards.

Last edited by whoismiked; 01-23-20 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:04 AM
Kentenmd1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
If your budget is limited, why rule out the 2014 IS 350? (you said your search was starting with the ‘15)
Limited yes...like under $30k. I also want to find a low mileage car. The one I am looking at is a 2015 350 IS with 35k miles but the test drive was very bumpy. The dealership manager said he put low profile tires on it but I don't think that is the only reason why it was bumpy and felt every little thing in the road. Also...the car has been at the dealership for 9 months so that should tell me something. I may go back to do a bumper shock/damper test. But also thinking of just walking away.
If I can get a 2017 or 2018 IS 300 with all the new safety features and tune the car to drive like a 350 that sounds like a good deal. But...I don't wanna regret my purchase.
Old 01-23-20, 10:07 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Limited yes...like under $30k. I also want to find a low mileage car. The one I am looking at is a 2015 350 IS with 35k miles but the test drive was very bumpy. The dealership manager said he put low profile tires on it but I don't think that is the only reason why it was bumpy and felt every little thing in the road. Also...the car has been at the dealership for 9 months so that should tell me something. I may go back to do a bumper shock/damper test. But also thinking of just walking away.
If I can get a 2017 or 2018 IS 300 with all the new safety features and tune the car to drive like a 350 that sounds like a good deal. But...I don't wanna regret my purchase.
If you mean the AWD IS300, the tune will be easy to do but will jeopardize warranty (i wouldn't worry about it....the engine is bulletproof). If you mean the turbo IS300, the tune may still wnot get you to IS350 levels. My IS350 F-sport with AVS (RWD) wasn't bumpy at all so there may be blown shocks/struts or an aftermarket suspension on it.
Old 01-23-20, 11:41 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

First thing I would do is test drive another 350 (maybe 3 more different 350s) just to compare the "bumpy" feel that you mentioned. You can't say that 350 has a blown suspension just by test driving one. Your experience in bumpiness is different from someone else so the only way to eliminate that doubt is to test drive a similar model but different cars.

Take your time and look for more 350 models (easier said than done) and consider 300 the very last in your list.

Though I have the 300awd - I still consider it a poor man's 350 (no avs, no ML, detuned engine, no Sport+ and no pun intended) - but when I added RR tune and some good mods - I don't think I'm missing much from a 350 - I can literally buy an IS 350 emblem and just swap the "0" with "5" - then I got myself a 350 already.

For a 30k limit - I'd strongly look for an ISF or a GSF .... now we're talking.
Old 01-23-20, 12:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
For a 30k limit - I'd strongly look for an ISF or a GSF .... now we're talking.
I wouldn't trust a $30k GS F unless it was really high mileage. I've seen one at about $38k, and it was sketchy because it was in a bad accident and had the whole front bumper replaced and salvage title.

I agree with other posters that the 350 would be the way to go if you want the best balance of ride and handling, since you get AVS. It's not a gimmick - it really does firm things up nicely in Sport+. However, if you need AWD and don't care to pay the extra for a 350 AWD, the 300 AWD is a good option. Of course, the RWD 350 is the best way to go.
Old 01-23-20, 12:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

OP is looking for a non F Sport model, so buying a 350 will not get him AVS.
Old 01-23-20, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
OP is looking for a non F Sport model, so buying a 350 will not get him AVS.
Good call. In that case, I recommend F Sport.

Joking aside, I'd just get a 300 AWD in that case.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (01-23-20)
Old 01-23-20, 12:39 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

The tune for AWD 300 is supposed to surpass the power of a 350 a little. I dont know that means they drive the same exactly but you'll basically have the 350 motor capabilities, plus maybe higher rpm limit. Dont quote me on that I drive a 350.

The bumpy ride may be just be compared to what you're used to, or your current car? It is a sport sedan not like riding in a boat like say the ES.

Been a while that I've had aftermarket springs which stiffened the ride but I do recall the car felt like a sports car stock, not like a new shopper might expect in a "luxury vehicle".
Old 01-23-20, 12:51 PM
Kentenmd1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Good call. In that case, I recommend F Sport.

Joking aside, I'd just get a 300 AWD in that case.
Thank you for the responses. It is difficult to find another 350 non sport..and I will test drive this one again. $26 35k miles 2015 IS 350 AWD. The only other option would be to buy a 2017 or '18 IS 300 certified..then add the RR Racing tune. Definitely more safety features..but the 350 is such a fun engine. I'm in the NE so AWD is the only option I would consider. Should I be considering other options? BMW 3 or Cadillac ATS? I drove an Infiniti Q50 400 red sport and it was super fun. Only thing is I have read many negatives about Infiniti. I am also looking for low matinence cost and reliability. Currently driving a 2005 Acura TL. Manual 6 speed 3.2l V6.
Old 01-23-20, 03:01 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Thank you for the responses. It is difficult to find another 350 non sport..and I will test drive this one again. $26 35k miles 2015 IS 350 AWD. The only other option would be to buy a 2017 or '18 IS 300 certified..then add the RR Racing tune. Definitely more safety features..but the 350 is such a fun engine. I'm in the NE so AWD is the only option I would consider. Should I be considering other options? BMW 3 or Cadillac ATS? I drove an Infiniti Q50 400 red sport and it was super fun. Only thing is I have read many negatives about Infiniti. I am also looking for low matinence cost and reliability. Currently driving a 2005 Acura TL. Manual 6 speed 3.2l V6.
Keep in mind, if you're getting the 18 IS300 AWD, I believe there is no tune available for the NA engine as of the moment. Not sure about the turbo version. I'm sure others will chime in.
2017 IS300 AWD have several tunes available.
Old 01-23-20, 03:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Avoid "tuning" when you can. There's so much potential for compromise and headache when you tune. You may feel seat of the pants power gains, but your trans temps are high, coolant temps high, fans running harder and longer, catylists are running hot ($$$$), and there's potential for pre ignition which can slowly over time pop your headgasket or crack your head. Transmissions are also forced to take a lot more torque than their clutch packs, hydraulics, preset algorithms aren't programmed or designed to deal with long term. It may not be a big deal for 25,000 miles, but if you keep your car longer, effects can show up. Just something to think about.

At the end of the day, IS turbo "tuned" with all the bolt ons will still get stomped out by the last gen BMW 3 series turbo 4 banger. So not really worth the headache for what you get. I would go for the 350 if power means that much to you. Even then watch out for those turbo 3 series. the G20 4 banger--forget it.

IS turbo isn't slow but it isn't a speed demon. It's adequate for what it is. the highlight of the 3IS isn't acceleration but handling and braking. so focus your enthusiasm there =)
The following users liked this post:
spindos (01-26-20)
Old 01-23-20, 05:07 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Avoid "tuning" when you can. There's so much potential for compromise and headache when you tune. You may feel seat of the pants power gains, but your trans temps are high, coolant temps high, fans running harder and longer, catylists are running hot ($$$$), and there's potential for pre ignition which can slowly over time pop your headgasket or crack your head. Transmissions are also forced to take a lot more torque than their clutch packs, hydraulics, preset algorithms aren't programmed or designed to deal with long term. It may not be a big deal for 25,000 miles, but if you keep your car longer, effects can show up. Just something to think about.

At the end of the day, IS turbo "tuned" with all the bolt ons will still get stomped out by the last gen BMW 3 series turbo 4 banger. So not really worth the headache for what you get. I would go for the 350 if power means that much to you. Even then watch out for those turbo 3 series. the G20 4 banger--forget it.

IS turbo isn't slow but it isn't a speed demon. It's adequate for what it is. the highlight of the 3IS isn't acceleration but handling and braking. so focus your enthusiasm there =)
The other highlight is looks.

And although I believe what you say is generally correct, in this case the OP is interested in a 3.5 V6 AWD IS300 to be possibly tuned opposed to purchasing a 350. Which could be called a detuned 350, otherwise the same car.
So I think the worries your described do not apply in the same way, in this case.

I also dont think hes looking to head-on for pink slips everytime he comes up on a BMW. Just messin with you.

To the OP I know what it's like looking for the right model/trim/package/color. Looking for a 350 alone can be rough, without any other specific trim wants. I have a non-fsport 350 myself with the color combo I wanted....luckily i only had to drive 75mi to get it in my 500 mi radius searching.
Old 01-23-20, 05:19 PM
Kentenmd1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
The other highlight is looks.

And although I believe what you say is generally correct, in this case the OP is interested in a 3.5 V6 AWD IS300 to be possibly tuned opposed to purchasing a 350. Which could be called a detuned 350, otherwise the same car.
So I think the worries your described do not apply in the same way, in this case.

I also dont think hes looking to head-on for pink slips everytime he comes up on a BMW. Just messin with you.

To the OP I know what it's like looking for the right model/trim/package/color. Looking for a 350 alone can be rough, without any other specific trim wants. I have a non-fsport 350 myself with the color combo I wanted....luckily i only had to drive 75mi to get it in my 500 mi radius searching.
Yeah...color is the hard one. I may have to comprise on that. The one I found is gray with black interior. I am looking into wrapping the car the color I want.

Quick Reply: IS 350 or IS 300 tuned