IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Closing Sunroof Issue - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 08:36 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts
Unhappy Closing Sunroof Issue - SOLVED! - Back again :(

I own a 2014 IS. For the longest time, when I wanted to open or close the sunroof, I would hold the open or close button for a second or two and it would finish opening or closing when i let off the button. Now I have to hold the button the entire time, as soon as I let off the button the sunroof stop, no matter how long I hold it. And now I have to visually inspect the sunroof to ensure it's actually closed/sealed. If you hold the button too long, it goes past 'close' and starts to tilt up. If I don't hold it long enough, obviously it doesn't seal. It is surprisingly hard to tell from inside the car if it is at that perfect sealed position, so if I ever do open my sunroof, after I close it I have to get out of the car and inspect it from the top to ensure a proper seal.

I have disconnected the battery to reset the ecu, and even replaced a battery recently (unrelated, was just due for a new one) and it has not fixed the issue.

Has anyone experienced this and/or have any advice for me? MY hope is taking it to the dealer is my last resort and there is some easy fix that I do not know about.

Added note: the left and right sunroof buttons perform exactly the same, must be held and will go past close and into tilt. If I am remembering corectly, the left button did tilting and the right button did open/close, but now they both do the exact same thing and neither will do the auto finish anymore.

Edit: After more searching around I found someone posted the same issue on the GS forum. Someone said their dealer told them to try these steps, I did and it fixed my problem, now they auto open and close as intended, so I figured i'd update this post with the answer in case someone searches this in the future and find my thread. The process was very simple, but not something you would ever guess to try.

All you do is press the tilt open button (left side button) and hold it and keep holding it, prolly around 12-15 seconds total. It will tilt up, then tilt back down, then fully slide open, then fully close. After that you can let go of the button and bam! everything is working again!

Edit2: the problem is back again but worse, see my last reply

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-16-20 at 01:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
Jazzrock (01-26-20), kj07xk (01-26-20)
Old 01-27-20, 04:59 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The process that is the answer you found is the calibration for the sunroof.
The calibration usually needs to be done when the vehicle is first made and any time you disconnect the battery.
You mentioned you replaced the battery, so likely this is when the sunroof lost its calibration and needed to be recalibrated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jazzrock (01-27-20), whoismiked (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 05:27 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The process that is the answer you found is the calibration for the sunroof.
The calibration usually needs to be done when the vehicle is first made and any time you disconnect the battery.
You mentioned you replaced the battery, so likely this is when the sunroof lost its calibration and needed to be recalibrated.
Thanks for the info! You are always full of great info!

Weird part is I was experiencing this issue long before I ever disconnected or replaced the battery. It just randomly (as far as I know) just started happening.
Old 02-16-20, 10:51 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

This (well similar) issue has come back twice now since I made this post.

The 2nd time (after the 1st post) about a week later, I had my moonroof tilted open, then when I got home, my moonroof wouldn't respond to any of the buttons, but I do hear it making clicking sounds inside the panel when I press the button, so i know it's getting power, but the the moonroof is not moving, at all, no matter which button I press. I thoroughly inspected the track and nothing is jamming it. It's currently stuck in tilt open. This same thing happened about a week ago, I got frustrated messing with it, disconnecting battery, checking fuse, tried jiggling the moonroof with my hand and pressing the button (not hard though, just tiny tugs), and trying the calibration reset with no success, ect. I just parked it in the garage with it tilted open. The next day I went out and tried the button again and this time it would move about an inch at a time with each button press, but that was enough to allow me to do the calibration reset and it solved the issue for about a week.

Well it's happened again today. I'm sick and tired of disconnecting my battery and losing what my RR racing tune has learned and starting over . What's bad is I have an appointment in an hour to have my car washed, clay bar'd, buffed, detailed, ect, and don't know how they can wash my car with the moofroof stuck open. Im so frustrated with this.

@Sasnuke any thoughts?

I actually hope my button doesn't work after letting it sit overnight like it did last time because I want the dealer to see what I'm experiencing and not be able to just do the normal calibration reset and say it's good, because it's not. I've had to calibrate reset it 3 times now in the last 3 weeks, something is definitely wrong. right now the calibration reset is doing nothing, but the buttons are getting power.

Edit: Well after letting it sit for about 4 hours, just as before when I tired it again it would move about an inch and stop, but I just held the button down and allowed it to cycle and reset the calibration ... again. I guess when it happens again I need to go straight to the dealer because I'm not sure what they can do about it when it's actually working.

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-16-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 10:38 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
This (well similar) issue has come back twice now since I made this post.

The 2nd time (after the 1st post) about a week later, I had my moonroof tilted open, then when I got home, my moonroof wouldn't respond to any of the buttons, but I do hear it making clicking sounds inside the panel when I press the button, so i know it's getting power, but the the moonroof is not moving, at all, no matter which button I press. I thoroughly inspected the track and nothing is jamming it. It's currently stuck in tilt open. This same thing happened about a week ago, I got frustrated messing with it, disconnecting battery, checking fuse, tried jiggling the moonroof with my hand and pressing the button (not hard though, just tiny tugs), and trying the calibration reset with no success, ect. I just parked it in the garage with it tilted open. The next day I went out and tried the button again and this time it would move about an inch at a time with each button press, but that was enough to allow me to do the calibration reset and it solved the issue for about a week.

Well it's happened again today. I'm sick and tired of disconnecting my battery and losing what my RR racing tune has learned and starting over . What's bad is I have an appointment in an hour to have my car washed, clay bar'd, buffed, detailed, ect, and don't know how they can wash my car with the moofroof stuck open. Im so frustrated with this.

@Sasnuke any thoughts?

I actually hope my button doesn't work after letting it sit overnight like it did last time because I want the dealer to see what I'm experiencing and not be able to just do the normal calibration reset and say it's good, because it's not. I've had to calibrate reset it 3 times now in the last 3 weeks, something is definitely wrong. right now the calibration reset is doing nothing, but the buttons are getting power.

Edit: Well after letting it sit for about 4 hours, just as before when I tired it again it would move about an inch and stop, but I just held the button down and allowed it to cycle and reset the calibration ... again. I guess when it happens again I need to go straight to the dealer because I'm not sure what they can do about it when it's actually working.
Without seeing it in person any suggestions are going to be somewhat of a guess.
Is it possible the rubber is just dragging on the roof opening cause it to move only a small amount at a time.
The fact that it moves when you press the button means the buttons should be fine.
I'm thinking it the rubber just has a lot of resistance again the opening maybe the motor is straining and just stopping.
One easy thing to try is to get some silicone spray and spray it around the outside of the seal.
if the roof is tilted up, then you can spray the entire back edge and then down the sides almost all the the way to the from.
If you then close the roof and slide it open you should be able to get the entire front and maybe a little of the sides.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (02-17-20)
Old 02-17-20, 11:01 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I went through some troubles when replacing the weather strip on mine.

When there was any resistance, if the strip was not perfectly in place or the glass needed to be adjusted 1/16", the moonroof would stop, and then retract backwards to the open position. It would not just freeze and stop closing, in my experience.

I have my moonroof glass slightly slower than oem because that's what it took to get it to function properly after installing.

I dont suggest loosening or moving the glass because it can be picky going back in, but maybe check those screws securing it and make sure they're tight. If not maybe it's a smidge miss-aligned.

Still my guess is electrical rather than some physical malfunction. especially since it works after reboot/calibration
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (02-17-20)
Old 02-17-20, 11:07 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Thank you both for your suggestions!
Old 01-04-22, 04:52 PM
drodella
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on my 2014 es350 happened today 1/4/22

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I own a 2014 IS. For the longest time, when I wanted to open or close the sunroof, I would hold the open or close button for a second or two and it would finish opening or closing when i let off the button. Now I have to hold the button the entire time, as soon as I let off the button the sunroof stop, no matter how long I hold it. And now I have to visually inspect the sunroof to ensure it's actually closed/sealed. If you hold the button too long, it goes past 'close' and starts to tilt up. If I don't hold it long enough, obviously it doesn't seal. It is surprisingly hard to tell from inside the car if it is at that perfect sealed position, so if I ever do open my sunroof, after I close it I have to get out of the car and inspect it from the top to ensure a proper seal.

I have disconnected the battery to reset the ecu, and even replaced a battery recently (unrelated, was just due for a new one) and it has not fixed the issue.

Has anyone experienced this and/or have any advice for me? MY hope is taking it to the dealer is my last resort and there is some easy fix that I do not know about.

Added note: the left and right sunroof buttons perform exactly the same, must be held and will go past close and into tilt. If I am remembering corectly, the left button did tilting and the right button did open/close, but now they both do the exact same thing and neither will do the auto finish anymore.

Edit: After more searching around I found someone posted the same issue on the GS forum. Someone said their dealer told them to try these steps, I did and it fixed my problem, now they auto open and close as intended, so I figured i'd update this post with the answer in case someone searches this in the future and find my thread. The process was very simple, but not something you would ever guess to try.

All you do is press the tilt open button (left side button) and hold it and keep holding it, prolly around 12-15 seconds total. It will tilt up, then tilt back down, then fully slide open, then fully close. After that you can let go of the button and bam! everything is working again!

Edit2: the problem is back again but worse, see my last reply
man I am having the same problem on my 2014 es350 identical to yours and it just opens with the close button doesn’t auto open it wants to tilt when u close so I’m always looking to make sure it’s closed as of today! I’m frustrated as well there has to be a fix to this besides the calibration
Old 01-04-22, 05:38 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by drodella
man I am having the same problem on my 2014 es350 identical to yours and it just opens with the close button doesn’t auto open it wants to tilt when u close so I’m always looking to make sure it’s closed as of today! I’m frustrated as well there has to be a fix to this besides the calibration

Man I wish I had a DIY answer for you, but I ended up taking mine to the dealer and they replaced the sunroof motor under warranty and I haven't had a problem since