IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 AWD as a daily (20k/yr)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 06:12 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default IS 350 AWD as a daily (20k/yr)

After over 10yrs of ownership/130k+ miles I'm thinking of letting go of my 2001 ES300 which has 200k miles. Next car is obviously a Lexus, but I'd like something sportier but with comparable reliability and driveability in NH winters. I put on 20k miles on average per year, so reliability is key. I understand that a 2016 IS 350 AWD will have the same engine/transmission as the IS has used for over a decade, so it's tested tried and true. I still have yet to test drive one (I'm 6'1", will it be tight?) Seems like a good overall balance of sportiness (0-60 time in the mid 5's), reliability and driveability.

Is there anything I should be aware of or concerned about as I hunt for a fully loaded 2016 IS 350 AWD? Seems like one can be had with reasonable mileage for $25k give or take. Any reason to look for a cheaper earlier year/more expensive later year? Basically just looking for overall feedback on the 3rd gen IS 350 AWD's.

Last edited by GoodRevs; 01-26-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-20, 06:30 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

My 2014 has been great for the year I've had it. No complaints, just wish it had rain-sensing wipers and a bigger infotainment screen. Gas mileage in the city is way worse than highway, even with conservative driving.
Old 01-26-20, 06:31 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

OP - I had a 2015 and 2017 IS350 AWD (F SPORT) and they were FANTASTIC vehicles!!! I wish I would have kept my 2017 actually but I digress. The car is a fantastic and you will not have anything to worry about except the premature wear of the front tires but there are some stiffer bushings to help reduce this problem. I am not 100% sure if the non-F sport has the same issue but overall, nothing to worry about.

Just be sure you test drive as you are a bit tall and the hump on the driver side (due to the AWD) might be an issue for you...good luck but you won't regret the IS
Old 01-26-20, 06:37 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
My 2014 has been great for the year I've had it. No complaints, just wish it had rain-sensing wipers and a bigger infotainment screen. Gas mileage in the city is way worse than highway, even with conservative driving.
See,that is where I am old school...I rented a vehicle for work one day and it had auto sensing wipers and it drove me bonkers...it was going slow, then they would speed up and such. I was sooooo infuriated and annoyed by it...Not sure I understand why people like auto wipers or auto headlights etc...No disrespect, just my opinion
Old 01-26-20, 08:51 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Its a great car but the interior might be too tight for you. Everyone 6 feet and taller that has sat in my car complains about interior room and it being too compact.
Old 01-27-20, 03:25 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ It is a tight interior for sure - good point but I feel the OP will find out very quickly when he goes for his test drive. If he doesn't have to cover himself with Olive Oil to get in and out of the vehicle, I think he will like it - Then again, some people like being greased up too as per some of the dancing bar I have seen which involved a metal pole (LOL)
Old 01-27-20, 04:55 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
See,that is where I am old school...I rented a vehicle for work one day and it had auto sensing wipers and it drove me bonkers...it was going slow, then they would speed up and such. I was sooooo infuriated and annoyed by it...Not sure I understand why people like auto wipers or auto headlights etc...No disrespect, just my opinion
Maybe not auto sensing wipers, but I don't think I can live without auto headlights and hi-beams. I consider myself "old school" also, but once you get use to certain technologies, it's hard to go back. I can't stand lane assist or DCC though. They're annoying IMO.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 05:48 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m 6’1” and just got a 2014 IS 350 AWD. I’ve had no problems with comfort and was actually surprised at the amount of legroom in the front. Granted, when I’m driving there wouldn’t be much room for an adult behind me, but that’s an infrequent occurrence for me. The car is low to the ground so if you have issues with flexibility, the process of getting in and out might not be great.

I ended up getting a non F-sport because I found one that had been a special order fully loaded model (Lux package, ML audio, etc) and it was the color combo I wanted (atomic silver/tan). I’ve found the seats to be very comfortable - although not as sporty as the f sport seats.
Old 01-27-20, 05:53 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

I daily my 15 IS350 AWD (20k+ miles a year) and car is great for a daily (bought at 30k and now im at 86k). I'm 6'0" and would say front seat is snug and the seat hold you in. On long drives 5hr+ the seats can get some discomfort around the shoulders since the seats are meant to hold you in.
Old 01-27-20, 05:56 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I am happy to see you have the AWD - I was curious how six footers felt about the AWD hump on the driver side....Obviously it seems to be OK. I am 5'11 but very slim so my skinny chicken legs were never an issue
Old 01-27-20, 06:39 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
The auto-wipers is a button so it can be turned off. I live in Vancouver so rain is a regular way of life here, and it's not always consistent so one has to constantly be fiddling with the switch and intermittent setting. Had auto-wipers on my last car and as was said above, you "set it and forget it" and very much miss it once it's gone.
Old 01-27-20, 06:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

(LOL) If I lived in Vancouver, I would remove the on/off switch and leave them going all the time - All joking aside, I hate having wipers going in my face. My Lexus (or previous toys) never go out in the rain and my other daily drivers are always coated with rain X to avoid using wipers...If I could order a car without wipers, I would. Not sure why, they irritate me to no end, as with range hood fan when I am cooking....
Old 01-27-20, 04:24 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I test drove a new 2020 IS350 AWD today (correct me if I’m wrong, but mechanically a new 2020 drives the same as a 2014-2019.) I found it to drive very well. I fit in the drivers seat well, the only issue was the steering wheel barely cleared my right knee. Otherwise I really liked the car and plan to start hunting for one.

I see a noticable price bump from 2016 to 2017 years. Did something change in that year? I did notice wider screens on 2017 models. Any other features to look for? Or is any particular year(s) an especially good deal.

Also, that engine sounds like it how a ton of potential for a nice low growly exhaust (just a muffler swap should do.) Does anyone have any experience there? Otherwise I’d leave it stock.
Old 01-27-20, 08:15 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I test drove a new 2020 IS350 AWD today (correct me if I’m wrong, but mechanically a new 2020 drives the same as a 2014-2019.) I found it to drive very well. I fit in the drivers seat well, the only issue was the steering wheel barely cleared my right knee. Otherwise I really liked the car and plan to start hunting for one.

I see a noticable price bump from 2016 to 2017 years. Did something change in that year? I did notice wider screens on 2017 models. Any other features to look for? Or is any particular year(s) an especially good deal.

Also, that engine sounds like it how a ton of potential for a nice low growly exhaust (just a muffler swap should do.) Does anyone have any experience there? Otherwise I’d leave it stock.
thres a couple mechanic parts updated on the new ones, but nothing too notable which would change your drivers or owners experience.

2017 got the facelift. Updated front end, rear diffuser and tail lights. Larger screen which it definitely needed.

I am problem free with my 2014 but they are more prone to issues with nav unit and I believe with the amp as well. Go for 2015-16 if your shopping pre facelift.

The 350 does sound really nice with an axle back exhaust and an intake. Car definitely came alive without attracting too much unwanted attention.
Old 01-27-20, 10:04 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I think the 2014 has issues with the radio going bad which is a couple of thousand dollars to replace, I haven't seen any 2015's with that issue. I personally like that 2014-2016 F sport front look a lot better than the 2017+. In my opinion, up to 2016, taillights look way better. But the 2017 has the wider screen which looks way better. I think you should just get the 2017 F sport for sure.

Quick Reply: IS 350 AWD as a daily (20k/yr)