IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RR Racing vs FIGS LCA NVH/Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 06:47 PM
nkseto
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RR Racing vs FIGS LCA NVH/Squeaking

Hi All - I've had the RR Racing USRS on my car for about 3 years now. Love everything about the improvements in handling, braking and tire wear, but once the temperature drops below the lower 50s the bushings make a loud, rubbery squeak over every bump and imperfection in the road. Lubricating the bushings is not a permanent fix - the squeaking comes back after a few weeks or so.

Does anyone know if the FIGS LCA bushings have the same squeaking problem in colder weather? If this is not the case, I'm tempted to swap my RR Racing for the FIGS 90 durometer bushings, assuming they are comparable in benefits and NVH? An alternative would be to grab a pair of the GSF/RCF bushings but I'm not sure if the performance benefits/tire wear issues are comparable to RR Racing/FIGS.
The following users liked this post:
shenry500 (02-04-21)
Old 01-27-20, 09:57 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't think you switching to a different durometer bushing would fix that, from what I remember, those bushings are made of polyurethane as opposed to Leuxs OEM which is rubber. I didn't want to deal with lubricating the bushings so I just got the RCF/GSF ones.
Old 01-28-20, 01:33 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

I have the FIGS, installed last spring, and have had no squeak issues on bumps this winter, and I go over several speed bumps in a parking lot every day.
The only issue I have is a ‘squeal’ on slow sharp turns, like pulling into a parking stall, or backing out of my driveway. Have not had a chance to regrease or otherwise lube them. And it started long before the weather got cold.
Old 01-28-20, 03:00 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there man, I also have the RR Racing USRS and ever since winter hit in california they have been squeaking like crazy. I have retorqued all the spindle nuts to 110 and added loctite, but it hasn't seemed to help. For now I am just living with it. If you have any recommendations please let me know.
Old 01-28-20, 07:18 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

My RR USRS have been squeaking for some time now as well. Whenever it is dry cold temperature, they squeak loudly. RR inspected and told me mine was since I have the AWD it was the lower control arm but idk. I have learned to live with it or turn up the volume on the radio. Any poly material will harden in the cold and cause it to squeak. All depends on where you live.
Old 01-28-20, 11:16 AM
nkseto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I have the FIGS, installed last spring, and have had no squeak issues on bumps this winter, and I go over several speed bumps in a parking lot every day.
The only issue I have is a ‘squeal’ on slow sharp turns, like pulling into a parking stall, or backing out of my driveway. Have not had a chance to regrease or otherwise lube them. And it started long before the weather got cold.
Thanks man - how's the handling on the FIGS? And does the squeal happen every time you turn like that?
Old 01-28-20, 11:19 AM
nkseto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hey there man, I also have the RR Racing USRS and ever since winter hit in california they have been squeaking like crazy. I have retorqued all the spindle nuts to 110 and added loctite, but it hasn't seemed to help. For now I am just living with it. If you have any recommendations please let me know.
Nothing seems to help! I'm totally okay with it but it annoys my girlfriend lol. I've noticed that it starts happening around 52 degrees and gets progressively louder as the temperature drops.
Old 01-28-20, 01:07 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 313 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by nkseto
Thanks man - how's the handling on the FIGS? And does the squeal happen every time you turn like that?
Handling is great. The OEM LCAs used to cause the car to wander during high speed braking, damn scary. No longer an issue with the FIGS, car remains straight line (I’m talking about when I’m doing 90 on the interstate, and some ahole pulls out in front of me to pass a truck, but they’re only doing 60).
I don’t listen for the squeal, but it happens pretty much all the time when I back out of the driveway and then turn sharp when going forward to not hit the curb. Not sure I’ve heard it on a slow sharp right turn, just left turns. Suspect the right bushing needs to be regreased. It was the first one I installed and maybe didn’t grease it well enough.
Old 01-28-20, 02:56 PM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi All - I've had the RR Racing USRS on my car for about 3 years now. Love everything about the improvements in handling, braking and tire wear, but once the temperature drops below the lower 50s the bushings make a loud, rubbery squeak over every bump and imperfection in the road. Lubricating the bushings is not a permanent fix - the squeaking comes back after a few weeks or so.

Does anyone know if the FIGS LCA bushings have the same squeaking problem in colder weather? If this is not the case, I'm tempted to swap my RR Racing for the FIGS 90 durometer bushings, assuming they are comparable in benefits and NVH? An alternative would be to grab a pair of the GSF/RCF bushings but I'm not sure if the performance benefits/tire wear issues are comparable to RR Racing/FIGS.
I had the RR Racing ones and they squeaked like crazy. Replace them with FIGS and they have only squeaked three times in extremely cold weather. NVH is less with the FIGS also. So happy I switched!
shenry500 (02-04-21)
Old 01-28-20, 04:50 PM
nkseto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dteskmo
I had the RR Racing ones and they squeaked like crazy. Replace them with FIGS and they have only squeaked three times in extremely cold weather. NVH is less with the FIGS also. So happy I switched!
How does the car feel on the USRS vs the FIGS? I know the USRS definitely makes the wheel a little tighter.
Old 01-29-20, 07:02 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

I've had the USRS on the car driving for about a week now. No squeaks yet, only positive things to say. It really is an awesome upgrade. Steering is heavier(Which I desire), Car feels more solid when decelerating from high speeds(No more dynamic alignment change), and car feels overall stiffer. I really have no complaints so far. Going to be checking out the torque specs again this weekend.
Old 01-29-20, 07:51 AM
dteskmo
Driver

How does the car feel on the USRS vs the FIGS? I know the USRS definitely makes the wheel a little tighter.
I found they perform pretty similar to each other. Perhaps the steering was a little tighter with the USRS, but the extra NVH and squeeks made it a worse choice for me. We have very cold winters here, so the squeeks were much worse in the winter, yet the FIGS have only squeeked three times on -30 degree or colder days and never when the temp is higher than that.
Old 01-29-20, 10:56 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Maybe the lube is frozen? (is that possible?). You did lube the red rubber areas with the very special clear Poly Lube right? (Do not lube around the bolt, that does nothing).

FIGS is the same concept with a free moving bushings. If you want guaranteed no-noise/no-lube .. then use the Lexus RCF Bushings.
Old 01-30-20, 07:57 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Maybe the lube is frozen? (is that possible?). You did lube the red rubber areas with the very special clear Poly Lube right? (Do not lube around the bolt, that does nothing).

FIGS is the same concept with a free moving bushings. If you want guaranteed no-noise/no-lube .. then use the Lexus RCF Bushings.
I removed the USRS bushings, disassembed, cleaned, and relubed with the clear stuff (Formula 5) and they still squeeked at all temperatures. The FIGS use the same lube, and never squeek above about -30C. I have no idea why, but that has been my experience.
shenry500 (02-04-21)
Old 01-30-20, 09:30 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Guys, are you 100% sure the squeak is coming from the USRS bushing and not from other components getting stressed out?

Quick Reply: RR Racing vs FIGS LCA NVH/Squeaking