Fuel Door not latching correctly / pops open

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 07:52 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Fuel Door not latching correctly / pops open

Hello All,
I'm extremely new here and figured I'd give this question to the masses about my fuel door on my 16 IS350 FSport

Problem: When unlocking car, the fuel door pin will retract, but the door will pop open just enough so when the car locks, pushes the door to the point where it's now open. I have to press down on the door, lock it so it latches then that's the end of it. Has anyone experienced this ? Found this article online which almost explains my issue to a T: https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/bhv...not-latch.html

Don't have a video yet.

Conditions of the IS3:
Year 2016
Mileage 28k
Serviceable by warranty if any ?

Last edited by Sirachacha; 01-27-20 at 07:53 PM. Reason: website
Old 01-27-20, 08:05 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

It's just the wire attached to the fuel cap, most likely. It should rest along the bottom I believe, if its along the top or twisted it will cause the door to pop open.

Take the cap off and unwind if needed. Sometimes it twists once over. The insert cap with the wire nestled along the bottom of the cap.

Give that a try! A weird quirk happens to me every couple months.
The following 4 users liked this post by HOMER350:
ALLBLCK604 (01-28-20), FilmiHero (03-29-23), kj07xk (01-28-20), TOPENDMS (01-29-20)
Old 01-27-20, 08:13 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

hmmm, I'll give this a try in the morning. I made a service appointment for the GPS campaign on Saturday so if it's not fixed by then...I'm hoping to get the big L to give me the bad news. I'll take a video/pictures in the morning before I head to work. Incase the above doesn't work...anyone had this happen before?
Old 01-27-20, 08:20 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Sirachacha
hmmm, I'll give this a try in the morning. I made a service appointment for the GPS campaign on Saturday so if it's not fixed by then...I'm hoping to get the big L to give me the bad news. I'll take a video/pictures in the morning before I head to work. Incase the above doesn't work...anyone had this happen before?
That has been the resolve for multiple members here with the same issue so I'm hopeful you'll have your fix! I know it sounds too simple.
The following users liked this post:
Sirachacha (01-27-20)
Old 01-27-20, 08:31 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by HOMER350
That has been the resolve for multiple members here with the same issue so I'm hopeful you'll have your fix! I know it sounds too simple.
haha, I seen a video of an early 2000's lex having this fix. Hoping it's just this =] Appreciate the advice, I'll update tomorrow
Old 01-27-20, 09:55 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

He is correct, I think I complained to this at my dealer and they gave me a new gas cap but it still happens in the cold. You have to make sure the wire goes under the gas cap (in a counter clockwise manner) and then it will close properly.
Old 01-28-20, 11:12 AM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Default Seems better

Thanks to all who responded. I tried adjusting the gas cap tether and it seems to have worked. I'll see what happens as the week goes forward. Thanks again
Old 01-28-20, 11:32 AM
Onz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny enough, this just started happening to me a few days ago and couldn't figure out why until I saw this thread today! Went right outside and readjusted the tether and problem solved! Thanks!!
Old 01-28-20, 03:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Onz
Funny enough, this just started happening to me a few days ago and couldn't figure out why until I saw this thread today! Went right outside and readjusted the tether and problem solved! Thanks!!
ah the tether. Word wasn't coming to me ha and I'm extra lazy when it comes to cell phone keyboards...

Glad you got it fixed too.
Old 01-28-20, 05:58 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Default ayy

Originally Posted by Onz
Ayy that's sweet! Glad it worked out. Appreciate everyones input on this. As of 8:57PM ..it's still there lol . Saturday is my appointment. Hope I make it =]
Old 01-29-20, 09:40 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Ayy that's sweet! Glad it worked out. Appreciate everyones input on this. As of 8:57PM ..it's still there lol . Saturday is my appointment. Hope I make it =]
Saw this on my IS' service history. Tech had to adjust a spring? Maybe related to the gas cap tether cable. Or could be a completely different issue that yours.

Issue never happen again after the repair.
Old 01-29-20, 10:44 AM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Saw this on my IS' service history. Tech had to adjust a spring? Maybe related to the gas cap tether cable. Or could be a completely different issue that yours.

Issue never happen again after the repair.

Thanks for the reply! I still have the appointment for Saturday so if they do any work in regards to it or give me advice..I'll definitely put it here =] Feel free to add to this if anyone else has had history.
Old 02-01-20, 06:19 PM
Sirachacha
Driver School Candidate

All went well. Looks like it was my tether all along. Appreciate everyone's input !
Old 02-01-20, 07:44 PM
HOMER350
Racer

All went well. Looks like it was my tether all along. Appreciate everyone's input !
Thanks for following up.
Old 03-29-23, 09:10 PM
FilmiHero
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOMER350
It's just the wire attached to the fuel cap, most likely. It should rest along the bottom I believe, if its along the top or twisted it will cause the door to pop open.

Take the cap off and unwind if needed. Sometimes it twists once over. The insert cap with the wire nestled along the bottom of the cap.

Give that a try! A weird quirk happens to me every couple months.
Can confirm that this was the problem and solution to my problem. I have a 2016 IS350 and was having the same exact issue. I went and made sure that the wire connecting the gas cap is positioned below the cap when closing and it worked! Thanks for this!

Quick Reply: Fuel Door not latching correctly / pops open