IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

navi screen blacks out or only works on one side

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 04:31 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
Default navi screen blacks out or only works on one side

2014 IS350 F sport with 51K miles. Navi screen blacks out after a phone call and will come back on after 15 seconds showing only 1/2 of the screen working (left side). Any theories on what this might be and how to fix?

Has anyone replaced the screen and if so, what was the cost?
Old 01-29-20, 04:43 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The screen is merely a display showing whatever image is sent from the radio head unit.
Unless the screen has a physical issue (i.e. crack, dead pixel, etc.), then it's likely ok, and the issue is actually the head unit.
Have you (or dealer) updated the firmware in the unit yet? There were a coupe updates for 2014.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 11:55 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The screen is merely a display showing whatever image is sent from the radio head unit.
Unless the screen has a physical issue (i.e. crack, dead pixel, etc.), then it's likely ok, and the issue is actually the head unit.
Have you (or dealer) updated the firmware in the unit yet? There were a coupe updates for 2014.
Thanks so much for the info. Is it simply a quick update, and is there a fee for this?
Old 01-29-20, 12:42 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The updates were part of TSB's to correct specific operating errors.
As your vehicle is out of warranty, there would be a charge if the vehicle needed an update.
The updates are simple to do, all you need is a USB stick formatted to FAT32...it doesn't have to be large, 4GB or 8GB is enough.
I've posted a link to the updates from my Dropbox on other threads, here is the link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u2nbkond5..._0007.kwi?dl=0
Simply download the file, copy it onto the USB stick, plug it into either USB port under the armrest, then find the update screen in the navi.
The navi will confirm the update is applicable to the vehicle and then you're off and running.
Toyota designs all their updates so that they only work on the vehicle/unit they are intended for...there is a verification process that goes on in the background of the unit...so you can never update something with the wrong file, accidentally or intentionally.
I was thinking about how you said half the screen is blank, which makes me think it went back to the Home screen, which is split by default to a left and right half...so whatever was on the right half wasn't showing, which i think (no sure) is the navi map.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 01-30-20 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Updated link
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
ShrinkDoc (01-30-20), whoismiked (01-29-20)
Old 01-30-20, 03:58 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

The updates were part of TSB's to correct specific operating errors.
As your vehicle is out of warranty, there would be a charge if the vehicle needed an update.
The updates are simple to do, all you need is a USB stick formatted to FAT32...it doesn't have to be large, 4GB or 8GB is enough.
I've posted a link to the updates from my Dropbox on other threads, here is the link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n66smomkfx..._0004.kwi?dl=0
Simply download the file, copy it onto the USB stick, plug it into either USB port under the armrest, then find the update screen in the navi.
The navi will confirm the update is applicable to the vehicle and then you're off and running.
Toyota designs all their updates so that they only work on the vehicle/unit they are intended for...there is a verification process that goes on in the background of the unit...so you can never update something with the wrong file, accidentally or intentionally.
I was thinking about how you said half the screen is blank, which makes me think it went back to the Home screen, which is split by default to a left and right half...so whatever was on the right half wasn't showing, which i think (no sure) is the navi map.
You sir, are the man (tu eres el hombre!)
Old 01-30-20, 04:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

@ShrinkDoc , I updated the link with the most current update...the one I posted first was an older update.
The one I replaced it with in the post is the most current and last update I think we'll ever get.
Here's the current link for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u2nbkond5..._0007.kwi?dl=0

It just dawned on me this morning when I woke "Shoot, did I post an old link!" lol
I should erase that old file.
Old 01-30-20, 09:14 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Sasnuke, would there be any point or benefit to me uploading this update on my 2014 with nav?

So far unit works ok. Reboots on it's own maybe once a month but I'm considering myself lucky so far that's all it is.

Dont fix what's not broken?
Old 01-30-20, 10:16 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Sasnuke, would there be any point or benefit to me uploading this update on my 2014 with nav?

So far unit works ok. Reboots on it's own maybe once a month but I'm considering myself lucky so far that's all it is.

Dont fix what's not broken?
Tough question the answer...I would agree if it ain't broke...

Mine has always (for the most part) operated normally...i had the odd reboot or it froze. I did do the update and no issues since. So based on my own experience I would do the update.
Operationally you shouldn't notice a difference...which is really the point, it should make the unit operate flawlessly...whatever flawlessly is in reality.
Old 01-30-20, 10:21 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Tough question the answer...I would agree if it ain't broke...

Mine has always (for the most part) operated normally...i had the odd reboot or it froze. I did do the update and no issues since. So based on my own experience I would do the update.
Operationally you shouldn't notice a difference...which is really the point, it should make the unit operate flawlessly...whatever flawlessly is in reality.
Gotcha. Well I think I'll wait for flaws before i aim for flawless.
Especially if I'm not preventing some permanent screw up by doing it.

Thanks