IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Moving from Infiniti to Lexus - Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-20, 08:20 PM
Gemspeed85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Infiniti to Lexus - Reliability?

As the title states I am wanting to move from Infiniti to Lexus. A year ago I bought a used 2017 Q60 3.0t and have had nothing but issues out of this car. Things got really ugly between me and Infiniti. both turbos started failing and engine squealing among other things. I am very disappointed and originally was going to purchase an RC350 but that didn’t go well either. The car had flood damage and the dealer attempted to cover it up. So I was bitter and went over and got the Infiniti.

After all of that I realize I made a mistake and should have kept shopping around. I am now looking at the IS350, F Sport being an option too. I am reviewing the threads for information but also too hoping some of you could chime in on your thoughts in regards to the 2015-2018 models in terms of reliability and if there is anything I should be on the lookout for or be concerned about. I know of how well Lexus reputation is but it always helps coming firsthand from actual owners.

I was told Infiniti’s lineup was solid then went through this mess. Come to find out it wasn’t only my car that had the issue but many many Q60s have had considerable problems that Infiniti isn’t really wanting to address. So I think it is time to start looking for a car I can buy and keep long term. That is my end goal. I am not one to trade in cars every few years. I want one that I can buy and drive for many many years that will give me the least amount of issues. Maintenance is always a priority of mine but it’s the other “things”/“issues” I am on the lookout for. It was a large financial mistake I do not wish to make again.

I appreciate your time and responses. Thank you.
Old 02-02-20, 08:55 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Gemspeed85
As the title states I am wanting to move from Infiniti to Lexus. A year ago I bought a used 2017 Q60 3.0t and have had nothing but issues out of this car. Things got really ugly between me and Infiniti. both turbos started failing and engine squealing among other things. I am very disappointed and originally was going to purchase an RC350 but that didn’t go well either. The car had flood damage and the dealer attempted to cover it up. So I was bitter and went over and got the Infiniti.

After all of that I realize I made a mistake and should have kept shopping around. I am now looking at the IS350, F Sport being an option too. I am reviewing the threads for information but also too hoping some of you could chime in on your thoughts in regards to the 2015-2018 models in terms of reliability and if there is anything I should be on the lookout for or be concerned about. I know of how well Lexus reputation is but it always helps coming firsthand from actual owners.

I was told Infiniti’s lineup was solid then went through this mess. Come to find out it wasn’t only my car that had the issue but many many Q60s have had considerable problems that Infiniti isn’t really wanting to address. So I think it is time to start looking for a car I can buy and keep long term. That is my end goal. I am not one to trade in cars every few years. I want one that I can buy and drive for many many years that will give me the least amount of issues. Maintenance is always a priority of mine but it’s the other “things”/“issues” I am on the lookout for. It was a large financial mistake I do not wish to make again.

I think this is the 3rd thread of nearly the same exact type I've read. Not that it means anything necessarily about Infinity just almost had a deja vu moment. That's too bad those Q60s I'd imagined were pretty awesome cars.

As for Lexus there is very very little to report in major reoccurring issues for the 3ISs. The oldest ones are 6 yrs old now and just finally were getting more issues reported and they're all imo in support of this car being as bullet proof as you can expect. I say that because the issues are minor and expected to some extent on any vehicles wear/tear stuff.

I would suggest one of the V6 engines purely because those are the tried and true in production since 06 I think it is. But I dont have any reason to believe you wont get long term reliability with the 2.0t, other than it is newer and turbocharged.

2014 were the ones with some concerns on nav and the amp I think, but I see your shopping 15-18. My 14 350 is 6 yrs 100k miles no issues.

Inner tire wear is a problem you'll come across. We've been resolving with replacing LCA bushings.

I'm sure you're going to have a better experience!
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 10:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Lexus IS WAYYYY more reliable than Infiniti. I’m not saying that because I own a Lexus, I had an Infiniti G37S before this and man does Nissan make **** now because of the Renault merger in 2000. You will not be disappointed by Lexus coming from an Infiniti. I’m not at all surprised you had issues with your Q60. Also my wife had a Nissan Altima before we got her a 10th gen Honda Civic and man what a difference. Nissan is just garbage lol I’ll be sticking to Toyota and Honda products for the rest of my life. It’s a shame that Nissan doesn’t make quality cars anymore. My dream car is still the GTR R35 though.
The only issues really as stated previously are the inner tire wear on the fronts. Upgrading the LCA bushings with the RC-F/GS-F will mitigate it quite a bit but only Poly bushings will 100% prevent it. I’m satisfied with the RCF/GAF bushings though. Also the front brake pads and rotors go QUICK if you don’t switch to ceramic pads like Akebonos. Also the OEM pads make a BUNCH of brake dust like it’s a bit ridiculous. This is only for the F Sports though. Other than the front brakes and tires, nothing else is an issue really. Normal maintenance.
Old 02-03-20, 03:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Gemspeed85 - Welcome to the Lexus Forum!! I am sorry to hear about your Q60, it is a gorgeous vehicle and honestly, I was considering one too before I got my RC350 (F Sport) because I loved the lines and the low end torque of the turbo, but then I opted to stay with a more conventional setup to avoid issues with turbos and things like that - In retrospect, it looks like it was a good idea.

As for the IS350, I had the 2015 and 2017 both in the F Sport version and LOVED LOVED LOVED this car!! Sure, the power delivery and amount is less than what you will be used to in your Q60, however, it is still a more than competent car with a nearly bullet proof reliability when it comes to the power train and most everything else. No car is perfect, but I feel Lexus is pretty darn hard to beat on the track record of major issues so if you want the peace of mind, I think you are looking at the right brand. I am not sure about your body type but the interior room of the IS (and RC) is far more cramped than that of the Q60 so make sure you take a decent road test to see how you enjoy the interior. Personally, it fits me like a glove and why I love it so much. As Flash5 indicated, the inner tire wear (front) is a known issue but can be mitigated (not eliminated) by replacing with stiffer bushings.

Other than that, I am on my 3rd Lexus (with my 2019 RC350) and I can attest to the reliability of their products - They are that good, but again, I am not saying that it will be the most engaging car to drive as I know other cars handles better or has more power, but if you are satisfied with the power delivery and handling of the IS (or RC) and you put emphasis on reliability, you will not go wrong! Now as always, if you are going used, make sure you do a proper inspection and buy from a reputable owner/dealer - that is part of the reason I always lease new vehicles, for the peace of mind.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Pharaoh77 (02-20-20)
Old 02-03-20, 07:22 AM
Gemspeed85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I think this is the 3rd thread of nearly the same exact type I've read. Not that it means anything necessarily about Infinity just almost had a deja vu moment. That's too bad those Q60s I'd imagined were pretty awesome cars.

As for Lexus there is very very little to report in major reoccurring issues for the 3ISs. The oldest ones are 6 yrs old now and just finally were getting more issues reported and they're all imo in support of this car being as bullet proof as you can expect. I say that because the issues are minor and expected to some extent on any vehicles wear/tear stuff.

I would suggest one of the V6 engines purely because those are the tried and true in production since 06 I think it is. But I dont have any reason to believe you wont get long term reliability with the 2.0t, other than it is newer and turbocharged.

2014 were the ones with some concerns on nav and the amp I think, but I see your shopping 15-18. My 14 350 is 6 yrs 100k miles no issues.

Inner tire wear is a problem you'll come across. We've been resolving with replacing LCA bushings.

I'm sure you're going to have a better experience!
Thank you. I look forward to making the switch over. The Q60 is hands down a beautiful car. But we all know looks aren’t always indicative of what’s on the inside. Lol. The bushings seems like a simple thing to handle as well as putting on better brake pads. Are the rotors pretty decent or have other considered upgrading those too?
Old 02-03-20, 07:50 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Thank you. I look forward to making the switch over. The Q60 is hands down a beautiful car. But we all know looks aren’t always indicative of what’s on the inside. Lol. The bushings seems like a simple thing to handle as well as putting on better brake pads. Are the rotors pretty decent or have other considered upgrading those too?
The bushings are simple yup. The arm doesnt need to come out like some BMW and Volvo, no compression neccessary. Its under an hour for the job.
Brakes are great on the F-Sport and 350. The more aggressive pada on the F-sport are said to wear fast and create a lot of dust. Only real change people are making is on the pads. One of the easier cars to change for those pads too.
Old 02-03-20, 07:55 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Flash5
Lexus IS WAYYYY more reliable than Infiniti. I’m not saying that because I own a Lexus, I had an Infiniti G37S before this and man does Nissan make **** now because of the Renault merger in 2000. You will not be disappointed by Lexus coming from an Infiniti. I’m not at all surprised you had issues with your Q60. Also my wife had a Nissan Altima before we got her a 10th gen Honda Civic and man what a difference. Nissan is just garbage lol I’ll be sticking to Toyota and Honda products for the rest of my life. It’s a shame that Nissan doesn’t make quality cars anymore. My dream car is still the GTR R35 though.
The only issues really as stated previously are the inner tire wear on the fronts. Upgrading the LCA bushings with the RC-F/GS-F will mitigate it quite a bit but only Poly bushings will 100% prevent it. I’m satisfied with the RCF/GAF bushings though. Also the front brake pads and rotors go QUICK if you don’t switch to ceramic pads like Akebonos. Also the OEM pads make a BUNCH of brake dust like it’s a bit ridiculous. This is only for the F Sports though. Other than the front brakes and tires, nothing else is an issue really. Normal maintenance.
I recently traded my 14 Sentra. Transmission took a dump at 36k miles after multiple dealers told me everything was normal. Got out of the car when starting to have other issues and staying away from Nissan.
Flash5 (02-03-20)
Old 02-03-20, 09:38 AM
FreshIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You really cant beat Lexus/Toyota reliability.... Nissan/Infiniti does not compare to Honda or Toyota...

To be honest, your Q60 probably had a better infotainment system and its clear that Lexus lacks in that arena, but makes up for it with a solid car that wont let you down. Other than the lame infotainment system, the only other thing I dislike is the boring/slow shifting 6 speed transmission in the AWD IS (but again its reliable).
Old 02-03-20, 12:09 PM
Gemspeed85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FreshIS
You really cant beat Lexus/Toyota reliability.... Nissan/Infiniti does not compare to Honda or Toyota...

To be honest, your Q60 probably had a better infotainment system and its clear that Lexus lacks in that arena, but makes up for it with a solid car that wont let you down. Other than the lame infotainment system, the only other thing I dislike is the boring/slow shifting 6 speed transmission in the AWD IS (but again its reliable).
Yeah the infotainment is nice but honestly, I rarely ever use half of the features. Most of them are just extra settings and nothing really useful aside from the performance gauges.

I was really surprised to see that the insurance on the Q60 cost more than ALL Lexus models except LC and even Mustang GT is cheaper than my car so I will be excited to save on that front. I am getting to that point in my life I do still enjoy speed but let’s be real. If I want a full blown sports car I will go and buy one built specifically for that purpose. Corvette, NSX, LC, etc.... But for a DD Lexus gives me the reliability and has that luxury aspect I am looking for too while still having a little pep in its step.

I have no intentions on bashing Infiniti. But I am sorely disappointed.
Old 02-03-20, 07:59 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 2007 and (like an idiot) another 2010 Altima. Since it's all Nissan product I thought I'd share that BOTH transmissions had to be replaced in BOTH cars. I did take a few year break with a Civic but when I wanted a luxury car I went with what my ex-wife always drove...Lexus. I just remember her never having problems that were massive. She never complained and had two of them while we were married so I bought the IS200t F Sport. The only issue I've had is the pathetic life on the brake pads but I'm just starting to do my own work on this thing and am going to get some ceramic Akebono pads and solve that problem (I don't drive it like a sports car at all). Other than the brake pads I have yet to encounter a single problem or issue.

When I was shopping around my cousin (who owns his own mechanic shop back home) said to go with Honda or Toyota period end of story. I've had this one for 2 years now and love it.
The following 5 users liked this post by btrav13:
arentz07 (02-03-20), davyjordi (02-08-20), Flash5 (02-03-20), Pharaoh77 (02-20-20), wthrman2 (02-05-20)
Old 02-05-20, 10:17 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure who would think Nissan/Infiniti are reliable, they went down hill after the merger with Renault and turbos fail on any car which is why I avoid them.

As for the IS line its one of the most reliable cars on the road and the 3.5L V6 engine does not have turbos and it is a solid engine that is near bulletproof, though the 2.0L V4 does have turbo so I would avoid that engine as it had issues in the past.
Old 02-06-20, 02:25 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

As others have mentioned, Lexus reliability is topnotch and the IS350 is bulletproof. Good luck and hopefully you'll become a member of the Lexus family soon!
Old 02-06-20, 08:17 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by athanato
Not sure who would think Nissan/Infiniti are reliable, they went down hill after the merger with Renault and turbos fail on any car which is why I avoid them.

As for the IS line its one of the most reliable cars on the road and the 3.5L V6 engine does not have turbos and it is a solid engine that is near bulletproof, though the 2.0L V4 does have turbo so I would avoid that engine as it had issues in the past.
I haven’t heard of any issues with the I4 Turbo in the IS. The only issue it’s had is the turbo regulator valve which isn’t even part of the engine or the turbo itself. At least that’s what all of us with the I4 Turbo here have experienced.
Old 02-06-20, 10:20 PM
laiyukchun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flash5
I did not expect to hear reliability issues with Infiniti. I thought that all Japanese cars will have good reliability. When I was researching on what car should I get, somebody gave a comparison that if you wanted a car that felt like BMW then an Infiniti will be the choice.
Old 02-06-20, 10:27 PM
fugaisi420
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a g37x and a m35x. Biggest piece of ****s. Never again

Quick Reply: Moving from Infiniti to Lexus - Reliability?