IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-Sport - 255's for front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 01:35 PM
NEEDB00ST
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F-Sport - 255's for front tires?

Getting tired of the tire wear on the staggered setup on my 200t.

I want to get matching tires all around but fear anything skinnier than the stock 255's will look silly in the rear.

Has anyone put 255's on the front without issues?
Old 02-04-20, 01:55 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The front rims are narrower and have a different offset from the rear. So even if it did fit without rubbing, that may look goofy as well. Especially if the intention is to be able to rotate the factory wheels. With the rear wheels on the front of a 350, the spokes are scary close to the brake caliper, not sure about the 200T brakes though.
Old 02-04-20, 01:58 PM
m0chafrap
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
The front rims are narrower and have a different offset from the rear. So even if it did fit without rubbing, that may look goofy as well. Especially if the intention is to be able to rotate the factory wheels. With the rear wheels on the front of a 350, the spokes are scary close to the brake caliper, not sure about the 200T brakes though.
200T brakes are a carryover from the 350, so fitment issues would be present also. I've always wanted to get a second set of F-sport rears and have my front rock the nice concave look too.
Old 02-04-20, 02:24 PM
NEEDB00ST
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A shoot. I never even realized the front and rear wheels are different.

ok so rotating tires is out of the question... Does anyone have a recommendation for some good long-lasting tires?
Old 02-04-20, 02:35 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The fronts are 18x8 with a 45mm offset. Rears are 18x8.5 with a 50mm offset.

Sorry, I am no help with long lasting tires. I accepted my fate years ago with my 2IS and preferences for summer tires.
The following users liked this post:
ALLBLCK604 (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 03:02 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by NEEDB00ST
A shoot. I never even realized the front and rear wheels are different.

ok so rotating tires is out of the question... Does anyone have a recommendation for some good long-lasting tires?
May bot be out of the question if you put a set of wheels on the front too. Most common I've see is people doing front wheel/tire setup all around, at least seen it a couple times.

One thing a lot of people dont look at with tires is the treadware rating. In theory, higher treadware rating more compact the tire rubber is, longer it last . So a treadware of 140 is a soft sticky tire, where a treadware of 320 for example is a more firm tire that should last longer.

I had a tire one time on a car I bought used think it was treadware +400. Tire started to fall apart before the tread was gone.
Old 02-05-20, 03:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Inner tire wear is the name of the game for this category, and for this car in particular. Want dynamic traction?

Well in the past, you went to BMW for that. Porsche. AMG.

Lexus has joined the dynamic german gang. So thus you pay the german price for that performance.

Give it another 5-7+ years or so, and you'll all be complaining of sloppy handling, loose bushings etc. Cost time and money to replace. Par for the course.

The IS handles so well, but that handling does not come for free. It comes at a cost. And that cost is a lot of bushings that do a lot of work.

Normally the higher things perform, the faster they wear.

So just know that smile you have on your face next time you take a long sweeper in your 3IS, you will eventually pay for that smile in worn out suspension bushings or tires. You just have to decide if it's worth it.
Old 02-05-20, 04:45 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I got tired of the tire wear as well so I went to a place here in Oklahoma called Discount Tire and settled on Continental Control Contact Sport. They're bigger (not as low key) and get 50k miles. I hardly even notice a difference.
Old 02-05-20, 08:05 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by btrav13
I got tired of the tire wear as well so I went to a place here in Oklahoma called Discount Tire and settled on Continental Control Contact Sport. They're bigger (not as low key) and get 50k miles. I hardly even notice a difference.
That's the thing. Those tires are treadware 540. If I put those tires on my car I would feel like i was driving a different car entirely. And you hardly notice a difference, neither one of us is alone.

It comes down to driving habits and what you need to get out of your tire. Go with a higher treadware and a smaller square setup if you want to lessen your hassle with tires. It's not a burden of the 3IS...same goes on any car.

Old 02-05-20, 10:03 PM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
That's the thing. Those tires are treadware 540. If I put those tires on my car I would feel like i was driving a different car entirely. And you hardly notice a difference, neither one of us is alone.

It comes down to driving habits and what you need to get out of your tire. Go with a higher treadware and a smaller square setup if you want to lessen your hassle with tires. It's not a burden of the 3IS...same goes on any car.
I drive pretty conservatively that’s for sure haha. It rides a bit smoother.
Old 02-06-20, 12:43 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NEEDB00ST
Getting tired of the tire wear on the staggered setup on my 200t.

I want to get matching tires all around but fear anything skinnier than the stock 255's will look silly in the rear.

Has anyone put 255's on the front without issues?

There's so many different factors to consider

i would start with, do you have enough to buy a strictly Summer set of Tires and a strictly Winter only set if you get Snow where you live?

if not, a good ALL Season Tire with a high Tread Wear (Tread Life) would be a good choice

if you are all about Performance, then you would want a High Performance Summer Tire or even more so, a Nitto or similar brand tire but the Tread Wear will be sacrificed for Performance

There are so may Tire options nowadays but my experience with Discount Tire has been phenomenal

having lived in CA, CO, and NY...you can find Discount Tire/America's Tire almost everywhere in the USA and what that offers is free Air Pressure check/fills, Free Warranty repairs for things like nails or a new Tire for major Damage at no cost to you

i would recommend doing your Research on exactly what you want at Tire Rack or other similar Online site but when it comes to buying them, get them at a Shop like Discount, Big O, etc. or whatever chain is close to you so if any problems arise, they will be there for you on the spot when you need them
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 11:51 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for the referral @Gr33nHrn3t !

As mentioned, tires are a product of compromise, or in other words, no tire can score 5 out of 5 in all performance areas - there's always trade off.

If longevity is high on the priority list and you're willing to sacrifice some dry performance then an all-season performance tire may be the way to go.
Old 02-06-20, 11:55 AM
btrav13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Thanks for the referral @Gr33nHrn3t !

As mentioned, tires are a product of compromise, or in other words, no tire can score 5 out of 5 in all performance areas - there's always trade off.

If longevity is high on the priority list and you're willing to sacrifice some dry performance then an all-season performance tire may be the way to go.
I've learned from you folks I must be a pretty boring driver hahahahaha
Old 02-06-20, 05:27 PM
Cleatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

me too. I was wondering if I could get a size larger sidewall maybe to take a bit of the roughness out. I don’t race this thing lol
Old 02-07-20, 07:41 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleatus
me too. I was wondering if I could get a size larger sidewall maybe to take a bit of the roughness out. I don’t race this thing lol
Me three! My personal vehicle is an ES350 and I enjoy a smooth and comfortable ride

-Matt

Quick Reply: F-Sport - 255's for front tires?