IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is this normal on OEM rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 11:18 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this normal on OEM rims

So two of my wheels on my is350 keeps leaking air. Couldn't find the leak for the life of me. Would usually lose about 20 psi after sitting for a day and stops at 15psi and doesn't ever go flat. Decided to take it to discount tire today to see what could be the issue. When they took off the tire, paint chips started coming off. Is this normal on OEM is350 f sport wheels to be painted like this? When they put the tire back on and dunked it in their water tank, it was leaking all around where the beads would set. I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle. I did look back on service record and 2nd owner brought vehicle in before for tires losing air. would some tech at lexus do this?
Old 02-08-20, 11:55 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I cannot say I'm aware of how your rims left the factory, but the paint finish in the inner barrel there looks so uneven. I can totally see why the tire doesn't seal to the bead. It looks like spray paint. I know the F-sport display rims we have around my dealership are powder-coated and have a perfectly smooth black shiny finish inside and out. Nothing at all like yours.
My solution here would be to just wire wheel the paint finish off of the inside of the barrel where the tire seals.
Old 02-08-20, 12:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

I had this happen to me back in the late 90s. I had an SC300 coupe with SC400 wheels. They were Chromed by the dealer. Bought it in Southern California. Got transferred to Virginia. Overtime in Virgina 3 of the 4 wheels started leaking. The plating on the inside of the wheels was flaking. I went and replaced the wheels with after market, don't recall the maker of the wheels. Since that time, my taste has changed. I would never do chromes today.

Lou
Old 02-08-20, 02:13 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

OP - I am sure most will agree that this is not normal to be leaking air or to see the finish peeling like this. I am wondering if the wheel was damaged and one of the previous owner, if not the original owner, relied on a repair shop to have the finish re-done. I am not suggesting the wheel was severely damaged but could have been scratched/scuffed and relied on a repair shop to do the work, and obviously, not a great one at that....Just my thought.
Old 02-08-20, 05:58 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

The lady's IS250 has paint chipping/peeling on two of her wheels ('15 250 F-Sport), which confirmed are OEM, but sadly we are past the warranty period.

Such a shame.
Old 02-08-20, 06:03 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Sad to see this happening on OEM wheels. Does that affect tire fitment or could cause slight air leaks?
Old 02-09-20, 04:34 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tofuprod
The lady's IS250 has paint chipping/peeling on two of her wheels ('15 250 F-Sport), which confirmed are OEM, but sadly we are past the warranty period.

Such a shame.
Shame it is indeed - That blows my theory out the window
Old 02-09-20, 05:36 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bylan
I cannot say I'm aware of how your rims left the factory, but the paint finish in the inner barrel there looks so uneven. I can totally see why the tire doesn't seal to the bead. It looks like spray paint. I know the F-sport display rims we have around my dealership are powder-coated and have a perfectly smooth black shiny finish inside and out. Nothing at all like yours.
My solution here would be to just wire wheel the paint finish off of the inside of the barrel where the tire seals.
It does feel like spray paint in the middle of the wheel but where the tire beads would set, i can confirm it is powder coat peeling. I did contact my local lexus dealership after further investigation into service history and it does say both passenger wheels was bent and replaced from Northside Lexus in Spring, TX but they said they can't do anything about it. So I will be bringing it to a local wheel/rim repair shop and see if they can take off the powder coating and reseal it somehow.

Originally Posted by wthrman2
OP - I am sure most will agree that this is not normal to be leaking air or to see the finish peeling like this. I am wondering if the wheel was damaged and one of the previous owner, if not the original owner, relied on a repair shop to have the finish re-done. I am not suggesting the wheel was severely damaged but could have been scratched/scuffed and relied on a repair shop to do the work, and obviously, not a great one at that....Just my thought.
Two wheels that are leaking was damaged but replaced with two new wheels from Northside Lexus in Spring, TX based off of further investigation into service history.

Such a shame.
It is a shame. You spend a lot on a nice car and something like this shouldn't happen.
Old 02-09-20, 09:19 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Hummm - The skeptic in me feels it is odd that the two "new wheels" are the one showing this problem. I have to wonder if they were 'truly new' or refurbished wheels.

Regardless, I hope your situation gets resolved...
Old 02-09-20, 10:15 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Hummm - The skeptic in me feels it is odd that the two "new wheels" are the one showing this problem. I have to wonder if they were 'truly new' or refurbished wheels.

Regardless, I hope your situation gets resolved...
Yes it is very odd and I feel it was refurbished. Hopefully the shop I bring it too can fix the issue.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-09-20)
Old 02-09-20, 08:18 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

but sadly we are past the warranty period.
what some dealers (this is hit or miss) will do is a "good faith" repair...like if you were to say you would leave said Dealer an awesome review on Google reviews

or

you are a Member of one of THE biggest Lexus sites and will leave them a stellar review

couldn't hurt to ask....living in OKC, you probably only have like 1 or 2 Lexus dealers like us here in CO but never hurts to ask!
Old 02-10-20, 05:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The wheels may be OEM, but that finish is not.
From the paint that is visible in the barrel, that is not the way the wheels come from factory.
To assume they were refurbished in some way is likely the best explanation.
The peeling you are seeing is from a poor prep job before painting/powder coating.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-10-20)