IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone have an easy TPMS solution?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 11:58 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Anyone have an easy TPMS solution?

Havent been on ClubLexus in a minute. Life's put a hold on this, but Im back..

I was looking to take advantage of Costco's Michelin deal for PS4S's but only 2 things stopping me: 1) Front tire sizing, and 2) TPMS

I've browsed through the forums and read that our cars can only hold 1 set of TPMS codes. Ive been looking into TPMS sensors that you can clone, but no idea the reliability in such models. Am I better off just getting OEM sensors and dealing with the TPMS light when the other set of wheels is on? Its gonna drive me bonkers over time. And I really dont want to have to pay the dealership each time I switch my wheels just to switch out the codes..

Anyone have a simple solution?

As for the front tire sizing, been back and froth on 235/40r18 and 245/35r18... or even 245/40r18. Currently leaning towards the 235's... Rears will be 265/35r18 for sure.
Old 02-10-20, 12:32 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

You're going to spend a boat load of money on front tires that will eat themselves up. I mean up to you. Why not go back to Firehawks? Did they discontinue them? (I saw your sig)

I'm a huge fan of PSS/PS4s but they don't last quite as long on other cars (BMW/Porsche) where you can get a good 20-25k out of them. I used to average around 20-22k on my BMWs on PSSs. They'd wear pretty far and on the inside by 20k, but you could still get a bit more life vs. 2IS/3IS where 15k (for me) was pushing it.

I know on on the 3G prius, there's a simple wire pair you jump with a paper clip under the dash which disables the TPMS from going off. Maybe 3Is has something like it.
Old 02-10-20, 12:43 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Have a few friends in the S2000 racing crowd that werent big fans of the firehawks and suggested I try something different. Nankang NS2Rs came up as an option. Those would be okay as a dedicated summer/autocross set. Only looking at the Michelins right now cause of Costco's promotion.

I think I saw another thread about disabling the 3IS' TPMS light, but gonna have to search for it again. I know its out there.
Old 02-10-20, 01:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The 235/40/18 will be the closest in match to the high of the 265/35/18...so best to go with that.

Depends how easy of a solution you want for the second set of wheels will determine what you choose to do.

Option #1 - Get 4 aftermarket TPMS sensors cloned to your current set and you can swap sets each season without doing anything...chances are the pressure readouts on the dash will not be present with the aftermarket sensors
Option #2 - Get your own TPMS programming tool like an Autel and program a set of aftermarket sensors yourself...that way you can swap sets without having to pay the dealer to do it...I would say after 2-3 swaps you will recover the cost of the tool vs dealer fees
Option #3 - Get your own TPMS programming tool like an Autel and program a set of OEM sensors yourself...that way you can swap sets without having to pay the dealer to do it, and you will have the pressure readouts on the dash regardless which set is on the vehicle

Not sure if there is a way to disable the TPMS light...but I guess the question is to what end. Yes the light might be off, and now what...the TPMS system isn't doing anything for you at that point.
Every winter I drive around with my light on...it's to the point I don't even see it anymore...but that's me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
RageRacerM (02-10-20), wthrman2 (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 01:13 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

@Sasnuke , really appreciate the concise reply. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you. Will consider those options....
Old 02-10-20, 02:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If the OP is thinking of changing the size of the front tires, COSTCO is not the place to go. Other members have posted that COSTCO will not let a customer deviate from the stock size. They even insist that the speed rating be the same as stock, not higher or lower. Discount Tire is far more customer friendly when changing sizes. They will, however, tell you if the tires you select have a lower load carrying capacity than stock. I am a COSTCO member, but don't buy anything automotive from them. I've been a Discount Tire customer for more than 20 years.

Edit - Discount Tire is America's Tire in California.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
arentz07 (02-10-20), RageRacerM (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 02:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
If the OP is thinking of changing the size of the front tires, COSTCO is not the place to go. Other members have posted that COSTCO will not let a customer deviate from the stock size. They even insist that the speed rating be the same as stock, not higher or lower. Discount Tire is far more customer friendly when changing sizes. They will, however, tell you if the tires you select have a lower load carrying capacity than stock. I am a COSTCO member, but don't buy anything automotive from them. I've been a Discount Tire customer for more than 20 years.

Edit - Discount Tire is America's Tire in California.

Lou
This is true. At Costco they gave me a hard time about my tires, claiming they were not the right speed rating for the car... Of course I told them to go look at the sidewall of the OE tires on the car and they would see it's the same. But yeah they are trained to be difficult if you install anything other than OE speed rating/size.
Old 02-10-20, 04:00 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
...Every winter I drive around with my light on...it's to the point I don't even see it anymore...but that's me.
Everyone that knows me will tell you how OCD I am, and yet, on my little Spark, I have my TPMS light on all the time and don't even see it anymore either....Maybe my "cheapness" over compensates my "OCD" - LMAO
Old 02-10-20, 04:55 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

With at least the 2018 AWD the TPMS only goes off after a long drive, for me its past the 40min mark and it will remember it after restarting for a day or so then it stops turning on the light until you go on another long drive. I will be looking for a cloning solution next winter.
Old 02-11-20, 11:38 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I picked up OEM PMV-C010 TPMS off ebay for 69 dollars a set for my wheels and went to pepboys to program them to my car for $15 dollars. no issues here.
Old 02-15-20, 05:35 AM
1slowes250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tpms

The batteries on TPMS typically last five to eight years, so not sure what Year your car is if it's Pretty new you can take the old sensors out of the old rims and use them without any issues. If not Purchase them new TPMS and have them programmed you're talkin about a hundred bucks. And it's worth it to have. With the pressures on our Dash it's a little more complicated but definitely doable.
Old 02-16-20, 02:26 PM
Beek
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM

I was looking to take advantage of Costco's Michelin deal for PS4S's but only 2 things stopping me: 1) Front tire sizing, and 2) TPMS

I've browsed through the forums and read that our cars can only hold 1 set of TPMS codes. Ive been looking into TPMS sensors that you can clone, but no idea the reliability in such models. Am I better off just getting OEM sensors and dealing with the TPMS light when the other set of wheels is on? Its gonna drive me bonkers over time. And I really dont want to have to pay the dealership each time I switch my wheels just to switch out the codes..

As for the front tire sizing, been back and froth on 235/40r18 and 245/35r18... or even 245/40r18. Currently leaning towards the 235's... Rears will be 265/35r18 for sure.

I have a separate set of aftermarket TPMS sensors purchased from tpms.com for my winter wheel/tire set. Yes, programming needs to be done each time you switch sets. But, my local discount tire programs TPMS for free, no need to have purchased the tires from them. I would call your local discount tire and ask them. Otherwise, I was quoted 20$ to program the sensors from a different tire shop.
Old 02-17-20, 12:30 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM

As Sasnuke mentioned - Clonable sensors would be the quick solution to this. Same cost as the others we carry however the shop would simply scan your other sensors and Clone the sensor ID codes to the new sensors. Now the vehicle will only need 1 set of ID codes stored due to all 8 tires having the same set of codes.

@flowrider Thank you for your years of business!

@Beek Thank you for the shout out!
Old 02-17-20, 05:10 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I used Autel MX TMPS and Autel MaxiTPMS TS401 for my winter set of tires. Cloned existing Lexus sensor IDs and did not need to reprogram the ECU.
Amazon Amazon