Excessive Break Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 10:14 AM
Getchkix
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Excessive Break Dust

Hey guys,

I have a 2016 IS350 F Sport. My car has excessive break dust. After I wash the car and drive a little bit I can already notice the break dust building up. Unfortunately my car is also white so that does not help

I was wondering if anyone has a fix to this?

so far I’ve been thinking of trying a few things

1. replace the break pads. I’m not sure which pads to go with though.

2. Break caliper cover - not sure if this will actually help, pretty costly also

3. mud guards - also not sure it it will help, and if it does it will only get the break dust off my paint (hopefully)

Old 02-25-20, 10:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Brake caliper cover could work, but you have to recognize that it will limit heat dissipation. You're essentially boxing-in the caliper by putting one of those on.

You have to also realize the brake dust is because of the type of pads you have. I am guessing you have a rear-wheel drive IS 350 F Sport? If so, it is equipped with more aggressive "high-friction" pads. They generate a lot of dust. The trade-off is better stopping power especially over repeated stops. You could certainly go to different pads if you want. The pads from the non-F-Sport IS 350 would generate a lot less dust. I have them on my IS 300 AWD, and they stop really well but don't have a lot of dust.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 10:57 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

F-Sport pads are known for producing a lot of dust but have pretty decent stopping power.

I have heard a lot of great thing on this site about Akebono pads.

When the time comes to replace mine I will likely go with Akebono or R1 Concepts (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...rake-pads.html)

I haven't heard (or just haven't noticed) much from the Lexus community on R1 Concepts, but in my previous car (2008 Acura TL Type-S which had Brembo calipers and rotors) I gave them a shot based on a friends recommendation, I ordered their Geomet rotors and R1 optimum pads and absolutely LOVED them. SO I might give them a shot again with the Lexus when my pads are due.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
arentz07 (02-25-20), R1Concepts (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 10:59 AM
tmiller43
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing to go about it is the brake pads, as they are the root cause of the brake dust. A caliper cover will not help and will cause issues, they are purely cosmetic. The F-Sport performance pads are notorious for huge amounts of brake dust. After research I went with Akebono performance ceramic pads. They stop great and have VERY little/no brake dust.
Old 02-25-20, 12:55 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
You bought a performance model with performance parts, and brake dust comes with higher braking performance. You can always buy different brake pads,but keep in mind the next time you purchase a car that a performance model may not be the one for you if you don't like the detriments that come with them: harsh rides, more tire expenses, more brake dust, more road noise.
I'm sorry and I mean no offense to you, but I find this comment ridiculous to be blunt. Basically implying someone purchased the wrong car because they want to see if there are options available to reduce brake dust is absurd. There are options for him, there are high performance ceramic pads out there that produce less dust than the F-Sport pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
davyjordi (02-27-20), Getchkix (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 01:11 PM
Getchkix
Driver School Candidate

appreciate this. MysteryMob doesn’t understand what I am asking, you do. Thanks for you input.

I was looking at the Akebono pads but wanted to see if there was any other alternatives people went with.

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I'm sorry and I mean no offense to you, but I find this comment ridiculous to be blunt. Basically implying someone purchased the wrong car because they want to see if there are options available to reduce brake dust is absurd. There are options for him, there are high performance ceramic pads out there that produce less dust than the F-Sport pads.
The following 3 users liked this post by Getchkix:
davyjordi (02-27-20), GaryJG (02-25-20), whoismiked (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 04:03 PM
m0chafrap
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Getchkix
appreciate this. MysteryMob doesn’t understand what I am asking, you do. Thanks for you input.

I was looking at the Akebono pads but wanted to see if there was any other alternatives people went with.

Akebono pads work quite well. I noticed that you need a bit of heat in them before they start to bite similar to the OEM F-Sport pads.
Old 02-25-20, 04:03 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by tmiller43
The best thing to go about it is the brake pads, as they are the root cause of the brake dust. A caliper cover will not help and will cause issues, they are purely cosmetic. The F-Sport performance pads are notorious for huge amounts of brake dust. After research I went with Akebono performance ceramic pads. They stop great and have VERY little/no brake dust.
+1 for the Akebono ASP's. I ran them on my Infiniti G37S that had 4 piston front calipers and 2 piston rear calipers (Akebono) and used the Akebono ASP's and that thing would brake like a CHAMP. I actually have been pretty disappointed with the stopping power on the 3IS F Sport models regardless of pads. With the OEM high friction pads, it was still slow to brake compared to my G37S and I can't figure out why as 1 additional piston on the rear calipers shouldn't really make that big of a difference. I'll probably look into a high performance rotor and pad combo on my next change.
Old 02-25-20, 04:06 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

You could use the "blue" oem pads to reduce dust or go full on ceramic, I prefer the posi quite ceramic that I used in the past. One thing to consider is switching to ceramic pads will reduce the initial bit . However you will produce little to no brake dust, add longevity, and a wider heat range. In short you will have a more daily friendly compound, unless your boy racer and want to race everywhere then your fine. My 94 supra turbo with 650hp runs ceramic pads
Old 02-25-20, 05:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Yup.

OP can just use some ceramic pads and be totally fine. The brakes on these cars are of the quality that drivers with other models would like to upgrade to. If your not on a race track you're not going to make any big sacrifice on braking power. Even if you were...you'd still be ok.

I think it was said but the non f-sport pads are a fine alternative option. There are plenty here who will disagree however.

I can't seem to wear mine out (although they need to be replaced) and I simply clean off what little dust there is once a month or so and they're typically looking very clean.
Old 02-25-20, 05:18 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
You bought a performance model with performance parts, and brake dust comes with higher braking performance. You can always buy different brake pads,but keep in mind the next time you purchase a car that a performance model may not be the one for you if you don't like the detriments that come with them: harsh rides, more tire expenses, more brake dust, more road noise.
You sound like a complete tool. Not even gona get into how stupid your post sounds.

Anyways OP, I used to have the Akebono ACTs on my IS200t when my F-Sport pads wore out. I got them due to this very reason, was tired of wiping brake dust and seeing the rims covered in dust withing 2 days of washing the car. I regretted the ACTs, you lose a ton of the initial 'bite' and stopping power. I was contemplating swapping out to F-Sport pads again within a week and dealing with the brake dust.

The other Akebonos that are recommended here may be worth a try, but just know the F-Sport pads are engineered extremely for this car. The brake dust is annoying though, I do agree.
The following 2 users liked this post by premier3IS:
davyjordi (02-27-20), Getchkix (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 05:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I had the Akebono ASPs after my third F Sport pad replacement. Each pas lasted 10-12k miles so I decided to give Akebonos a try. They were great and had similar feel to OEM f Sport pads. You have to get the ASPs though as they are the sport oriented pads. No brake dust and last much longer.
The following users liked this post:
Getchkix (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 06:20 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
You sound like a complete tool. Not even gona get into how stupid your post sounds.

Anyways OP, I used to have the Akebono ACTs on my IS200t when my F-Sport pads wore out. I got them due to this very reason, was tired of wiping brake dust and seeing the rims covered in dust withing 2 days of washing the car. I regretted the ACTs, you lose a ton of the initial 'bite' and stopping power. I was contemplating swapping out to F-Sport pads again within a week and dealing with the brake dust.

The other Akebonos that are recommended here may be worth a try, but just know the F-Sport pads are engineered extremely for this car. The brake dust is annoying though, I do agree.
I honestly could barely tell the difference in bite personally. As I stated above in my earlier post, the 3IS lacks braking power period in my experience and opinion. I miss the braking power from my previous car.
EDIT: The massive difference in bite could very well be that you used the ACT's instead of ASP's so I can't comment on the ACT's lol.
Old 02-25-20, 07:07 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
+1 for the Akebono ASP's. I ran them on my Infiniti G37S that had 4 piston front calipers and 2 piston rear calipers (Akebono) and used the Akebono ASP's and that thing would brake like a CHAMP. I actually have been pretty disappointed with the stopping power on the 3IS F Sport models regardless of pads. With the OEM high friction pads, it was still slow to brake compared to my G37S and I can't figure out why as 1 additional piston on the rear calipers shouldn't really make that big of a difference. I'll probably look into a high performance rotor and pad combo on my next change.
On paper the G37s brakes from 60-0 in 110 ft for the IS it’s 114. Brakes may feel different but that’s pretty close. I run Akebono asp on my 350 and honestly don’t like brake feel at all. Going to try some better pads and rotors next change. Maybe some Hawks.
Old 02-25-20, 07:21 PM
Getchkix
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback. I think I’m going to look into the ASP, if those don’t work out for me then I’ll likely try giving the OEM n-f pads a try

Originally Posted by premier3IS

Quick Reply: Excessive Break Dust