IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How Much Did You Invest in Paint Protection Film (PPF) Coverage?
(Almost) Full Car Coverage (ex: including Roof/Top, Trunk).
1.85%
More than Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc).
22.22%
Standard Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
11.11%
Minor Coverage (ex: Partial Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
20.37%
None / No PPF.
44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 04:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I wish I had done PPF, though, on the other hand, it was a lease... and gone now. But, I got rock chips pretty quickly. Even though I didn't drive the interstates during my commute, I always seemed to get behind some random truck that was dropping pebbles, rocks, or dust/sand. I think I'd have just done it on the front bumper and hood if I'd done it. I never saw any issues on the mirror caps for instance.
Old 04-02-20, 03:55 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Do You Wax PPF??

Hi, saw some YouTube videos where they're waxing PPF but my installer said NOT to. THINK my PPF is the 3M brand. Plus, getting conflicting opinions from other vendors. Question: DO YOU GUYS wax your PPF?

Also, the IS segment is the biggest and most active of this forum so why ONLY 35 votes?? Plz submit your vote in the poll!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-09-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 01:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Hi, saw some YouTube videos where they're waxing PPF but my installer said NOT to. THINK my PPF is the 3M brand. Plus, getting conflicting opinions from other vendors. Question: DO YOU GUYS wax your PPF?

Also, the IS segment is the biggest and most active of this forum so why ONLY 30 votes?? Plz submit your vote in the poll!!
I had mine ceramic coated. Idk why wax wouldn’t be okay. Not sure tbh.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 04:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

oh, wait, i chose 'standard partial coverage' but i should have chose 'more than partial coverage' as i have my full hood, full fenders, full front bumper, mirror caps, rocker panels, headlights, and a-pillars done.
Old 04-03-20, 05:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I had my old car's coated in CarPro's CQuartz Finest Reserve, but with this car I'm using CarPro's Reload on it -- a silica-based nano-coating.
Old 04-03-20, 01:31 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

They say not to wax as some of the products out there can dry the film out prematurely causing cracks. I use Meguiars’s D156 on mine, it’s always kept the exterior plastics nice and new on my previous vehicles through the years so I feel confident it’ll do the same for it as well. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 04-03-20, 03:13 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Exclamation

From yet some other vendors: "you could put a spray wax on there and it should be ok", and "You should NOT use a regular wax on PPF. A synthetic spray wax is best".

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-30-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 07:14 AM
THESINGH
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where I live, it is standard for the city to dump small rocks on the roads during winter to help provide traction on the ice. I would say most new cars have PPF installed at the dealership, and I have included it on every car I have bought in the past 12 years.. I have Xpel on the first half of my front hood, the front bumper, a strip on the roof by the windshield, door cups, A-pillars, as well as the rockers.
Old 06-28-20, 01:26 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by THESINGH
... I would say most new cars have PPF installed at the dealership...
I think - in fact pretty sure - that in the states most dealerships add exorbitant markups and then farm out the work. Anyone else wanna comment on this?
Old 06-29-20, 02:43 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I think - in fact pretty sure - that in the states most dealerships add exorbitant markups and then farm out the work. Anyone else wanna comment on this?
My dealership had an outside company doing their PPF, but I was able to negotiate it because an independent shop had quoted me a certain amount that was much lower and when I told the dealership they said they’d match it.
Old 06-29-20, 08:59 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 252 Posts

I read a few other forums, XPEL doesn't yellow as compared to the 3M PPF in a year or so. All are expensive. If they custom cut, make sure you get a professional that doesn't cut the paint.
Old 06-29-20, 12:20 PM
THESINGH
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't doubt that at all. I can't comment on US prices as I am in Canada, it was about $900 CAD for all that on my car.
Old 06-29-20, 12:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I read a few other forums, XPEL doesn't yellow as compared to the 3M PPF in a year or so. All are expensive. If they custom cut, make sure you get a professional that doesn't cut the paint.
I have XPEL and it still looks great after a year. Best "mod" i've ever had as my front gets dinged a ton by rocks and the XPEL has worked flawlessly to protect the paint. My installers came highly recommended and they actually did all the ones for the Porsche / Ferrari dealerships. Go look in those forums for local recommendations and you'll probably get to know the best ones in town.
Old 06-29-20, 01:23 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by websurfer
I read a few other forums, XPEL doesn't yellow as compared to the 3M PPF in a year or so. All are expensive.
I got 3M, it's been several years, pretty expensive, and don't see any yellow (?!?), knock on wood *knock* *knock* *knock*

Mind posting links to those forums you speak of?

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-29-20 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 05:50 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash5
Originally Posted by davyjordi
I had my old car's coated in CarPro's CQuartz Finest Reserve, but with this car I'm using CarPro's Reload on it -- a silica-based nano-coating.
Just to clarify, are you guys saying that you coated ceramic spray or liquid, or silica-based nano-coating, on top of PPF?

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-29-20 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)