IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How Much Did You Invest in Paint Protection Film (PPF) Coverage?
(Almost) Full Car Coverage (ex: including Roof/Top, Trunk).
1.85%
More than Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc).
22.22%
Standard Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
11.11%
Minor Coverage (ex: Partial Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
20.37%
None / No PPF.
44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 12:08 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Just to clarify, are you guys saying that you coated ceramic spray or liquid, or silica-based nano-coating, on top of PPF?
I'm talking I got full on ceramic coating on top of the PPF (IGL Kenzo ceramic paint coating). It is fine to ceramic coat PPF.
Old 06-30-20, 07:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I'm talking I got full on ceramic coating on top of the PPF (IGL Kenzo ceramic paint coating). It is fine to ceramic coat PPF.
There are new ceramic coats made especially for PPF these days. Supposedly, the ceramic coating made for paint isn't really optimized for PPF as PPF is much more flexible than paint as its built to self-heal. The ceramic coating for paint is extremely hard to help protect the clear coat while the ceramics for PPF are more malleable supposedly. So if anyone is interested, maybe ask your detailer if they have that option.
Old 06-30-20, 10:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Spending the money on PPF a depreciating asset which could be totaled the moment you go for a drive is not a good use of money.

If you buy the materials for super cheap (I mean super cheap) and DIY, then sure knock yourself out. But spending $2,000... i could think of much better ways to spend that.

Besides it's glaringly obvious when a car has PPF. Edges/outline/ car bikini tan after you peel it off later.

My friend's yellow Z06 looked like poo after we pulled off his PPF. Needed major paint correction due to the car bikini tan and even then it was still noticeable. He vowed to never use PPF again.
Old 06-30-20, 11:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Spending the money on PPF a depreciating asset which could be totaled the moment you go for a drive is not a good use of money.

If you buy the materials for super cheap (I mean super cheap) and DIY, then sure knock yourself out. But spending $2,000... i could think of much better ways to spend that.

Besides it's glaringly obvious when a car has PPF. Edges/outline/ car bikini tan after you peel it off later.

My friend's yellow Z06 looked like poo after we pulled off his PPF. Needed major paint correction due to the car bikini tan and even then it was still noticeable. He vowed to never use PPF again.
Some paint quality is so soft that your car looks like crap after a week on California highways. The Lexus paint is actually pretty nice and looks okay after a couple years. PPF should be a requirement on some manufacturer cars.
Old 06-30-20, 12:08 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 252 Posts

Sounds like 3M yellows. I had a strip that was 3M to avoid scratches and it yellow also.
Old 06-30-20, 01:26 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Well what's the alternative -- remaining content with tons of nicks, dings, scratches, swirls, etc, on your car, and fading paint? Constantly touching up said damage doesn't look so hot, especially on the hood, doors, panels, bumpers, etc. PPF AVOIDS ALL of the above. $1k of PPF is only 2.5% of a $40k car. A full on quality paint job is at least around ~$3k. Also, if you're ever in the market to sell, a more pristine body/paint maximizes the selling price.

What reasons are there to "peel it off" after $1000 or $2000 of PPF? lol Isn't it pretty rare for owners to remove PPF after making such a major investment? If there's issues like air bubbles, or imprecisely cut areas, most people get their PPF corrected. Most PPF brands & installers offer a warranty. Fade/Tan lines are understandable, but once again, why'd anyone wanna remove already installed PPF?

Also previously asked about "yellowing", especially wrt 3M PPF. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like the issue of discoloring paint after PPF applies more so to white cars, possibly somewhat evident on light colored cars, and if condensation happens to get in between the paint & PPF.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-01-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 02:39 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
There are new ceramic coats made especially for PPF these days. Supposedly, the ceramic coating made for paint isn't really optimized for PPF as PPF is much more flexible than paint as its built to self-heal. The ceramic coating for paint is extremely hard to help protect the clear coat while the ceramics for PPF are more malleable supposedly. So if anyone is interested, maybe ask your detailer if they have that option.
It's been a year and my ceramic coating is still extremely effective on the front end of my car. It rains pretty often here and the water beads up and falls off instantly. My German detailer is highly experienced with PPF and ceramic coating etc so I trusted him to take care of it all and so far 0 issues.
Old 07-01-20, 02:43 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Also previously asked about "yellowing", especially wrt 3M PPF. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like the issue of discoloring paint after PPF applies more so to white cars, possibly somewhat evident on light colored cars, and if condensation happens to get in between the paint & PPF.
E46CT always says no to PPF because he wants to cheap out all the time based on his posts so there's that. You totally CANNOT tell my car has PPF unless you have your eye almost right against the paint and even then if you aren't a car person you probably wouldn't notice. I've had my Xpel on for 2 years and have only good things to say about it. 0 regrets and it's protected my paint from rock chips. As for the yellowing, it seems only 3M has that issue because all the other major reputable brands have 0 issues with yellowing.
Old 07-01-20, 08:56 AM
websurfer
Racer

Is that hard to do the ceramic coating yourself on the PPF?
Old 07-01-20, 11:35 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Always had good experience with XPEL Ultimate PPF. No yellowing and self-healing capabilities. In Canada, with all the gravel they lay on the roads during the winter for traction, my car would have been pitted and rusted to hell by now. Even with PPF, some large rocks still manage to rip through them on the front bumper.
Old 07-01-20, 07:48 PM
websurfer
Racer

Looking at the poll, over 46% doesn't think about doing PPF? Why is that? Cost?
Old 07-01-20, 07:56 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by websurfer
Looking at the poll, over 46% doesn't think about doing PPF? Why is that? Cost?
The Majority of the population are not even aware or familiar with PPF, or barely give it a 2nd thought.

PPF is considered more so by car enthusiasts who purchase (i.e. NOT lease) luxury brands, and want to preserve their investments.

Personally speaking have a 2nd Gen GS300 still going strong (knock on wood *knock* *knock* *knock*), and looks good, but hate seeing so many nicks, dings, scratches, swirls, etc. When I got an IS350 FSport decided didn't want THAT to happen again hence PPF. Even got the doors covered lol

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-01-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 07:59 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

The Majority of the population are not even aware or familiar with PPF, or barely give it a 2nd thought. PPF is more so consideration of car enthusiasts and luxury brand buyers.
Yeah, I knew nothing about PPF until 2018. Same with ceramic coatings

when I got my 2018 IS300 I got the the full front end/hood and side mirrors PPF

Last edited by JBison73; 07-01-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 09:38 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Default Do not attempt diy ppf

Installer & assistant came to my place in Los Angeles at 10am for extensive PPF on an IS350 and didn't leave until 10pm

DM me for Contact Info for Mark @ Starr Autoworks. They service the entire southern California at your place of residence or work, fully warranty their work, and have tons of celebrity customers! https://starrautoworks.com/clients/

Go ALL IN on the hood. Don't PPF "partial" hood, or "1/3" hood, etc, do the FULL hood.

DO NOT ATTEMPT DIY PPF unless you have lotsa experience - even SMALL PIECES often result in a huge train wreck, inconvenience, waste of materials, time, & moola $$$, etc.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-02-20 at 12:23 PM.