IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How Much Did You Invest in Paint Protection Film (PPF) Coverage?
(Almost) Full Car Coverage (ex: including Roof/Top, Trunk).
1.85%
More than Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc).
22.22%
Standard Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
11.11%
Minor Coverage (ex: Partial Hood, Bumpers, Rocker Panels).
20.37%
None / No PPF.
44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 01:14 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Hey Guys, Conducting a new poll on investing in PPF (Paint Protection Film) when you get a new car (or pre-owned). Let me know if I should edit/re-word the choices:

1 - (Almost) Full Car Coverage (eg: including Roof/Top, Trunk).
2 - More than Standard Partial Coverage (eg: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Rocker Panels, Side View Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc).
3 - Standard Partial Coverage (eg: Hood, Bumpers).
4 - Minor Coverage (eg: Partial Hood &/or Bumpers &/or etc).
5 - None / No PPF.

REMEMBER to CAST Your VOTE in the Poll. Thanks!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-30-20 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 03:07 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I only did the front bumper on my 2019 IS. Paid $600 at Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana for XPEL and comes with 10 year warranty. My logic was the front bumper gets the most damage from rocks and potential debris. My other Car which was a camry had prob 50+ dings and rock chips in my 5 years of owning the car on the front bumper, but the hood was pretty much ok. Just a couple here and there. Yeah I could have spent another $600 and gotten the hood too but I didn't feel like spending more lol.
Old 02-28-20, 03:48 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
I only did the front bumper on my 2019 IS. Paid $600 at Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana for XPEL and comes with 10 year warranty. My logic was the front bumper gets the most damage from rocks and potential debris. My other Car which was a camry had prob 50+ dings and rock chips in my 5 years of owning the car on the front bumper, but the hood was pretty much ok. Just a couple here and there. Yeah I could have spent another $600 and gotten the hood too but I didn't feel like spending more lol.
The reason I got #2 "More than Standard Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Rocker Panels, Side View Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc)", is coz my older GS300 got dings all over the hood, doors, fenders, bumpers, etc, light covers look like crap, and didn't want that to happen on a much newer IS350 FSport RWD w red leather.

@
ABGLexus did you enter your vote?? Your IS is pretty new - if you purchased (as opposed to lease) might be a good idea to do some more!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 02-28-20 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 04:45 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by LaZeR
The reason I got #2 "More than Standard Partial Coverage (ex: Full Hood, Bumpers, Doors, Fenders, Rocker Panels, Side View Mirrors, HEADLIGHTS, etc)", is coz my GS300 got dings all over the hood, doors, fenders, bumpers, etc, and light covers look like crap.

@
ABGLexus did you enter your vote?? Your IS is pretty new - if you purchased (as opposed to lease) might be a good idea to do some more!!
Now i did, didn't even see the poll lol. Yes I purchased it. Meh it's a 39k car, i don't want to spend more on a depreciating asset. 9 months in and I'm pretty happy with just the front bumper. Trust me the more parts you do, the more you want to do even more, where eventually your whole car would be covered in PPF lol.
Old 02-28-20, 05:22 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
... Yes I purchased it. Meh it's a 39k car ...
K you must be included in trump's 1% if a $39,000 car deserves a "meh"??? Regardless, it's still a new & esteemed Lexus IS RWD!! lol

Last edited by LaZeR; 02-28-20 at 06:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaZeR:
arentz07 (02-29-20), Jazzrock (02-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 05:59 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I got the entire front including the first piece of the roof that stops at the sunroof done. The full bumper, full hood, full fenders, full side view mirrors and both pillars on the front. I couldn't be happier, it was the right choice already it prevented one major rock chip to the paint. You could see where it hit the PPF and pretty much messed it up in that one piece, but once the PPF was removed the paint was fine. It was all redone anyways due to somebody hitting my bumper, but most definitely have 0 regrets. I think I paid like $1100 if I remember correctly. I had it done when I bought my IS brand new.
EDIT: Forgot to mention they did the door cups on all 4 doors and the door edges and it was Xpel PPF that was installed.

Last edited by Flash5; 02-28-20 at 06:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (06-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 06:07 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

I did the full front bumper, half hood, half fender, headlight . Side mirror, front part of the roof.
xpel is the PP I used and it's nice. The parts I did was where I notice the most chips on other highway car
Old 02-28-20, 06:38 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought the car with almost 38,000 miles on it, so none purchased. Still looks great.
Old 02-29-20, 07:42 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my car new and I had everything in the front wrapped with Suntek PPF (#2 package). I never considered PPF before until I moved to AZ. Lots of rocks on our highways...
Old 02-29-20, 09:19 AM
ABGLexus
Driver

K you must be included in trump's 1% if a $39,000 car deserves a "meh"??? Regardless, it's still a new & esteemed Lexus IS RWD!! lol
LOL that's not what I meant. 39k is still a decent chunk of money. What I meant is a car will get dinged here and there no matter what. But I'm not willing to paint protect the whole car. Just the portion I think that has highest chance of getting dinged. For me that's the front bumper only.
Old 02-29-20, 11:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I found that front bumper, hood, front fenders, and rocker panels are the best bang for the buck. I paid about $1800 for it and the car has been spotless.
Old 02-29-20, 01:04 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't use it. I find the front bumper takes the brunt of it, but for $600 I could repaint it twice.
Old 02-29-20, 02:49 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
... for $600 I could repaint it twice.
Whaaatttt?? With all the curves on an IS, in Los Angeles a QUALITY full paint job (even at Maaco) is around $3000!! (Cheaper elsewhere depending where you live).

PS >>> @ Tungstn-IS did you submit your vote?

Last edited by LaZeR; 02-29-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 02:55 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Whaaatttt?? With all the curves on an IS, in Los Angeles a QUALITY full paint job (even at Maaco) is around $3000!!

PS >>> @ Tungstn-IS did you submit your vote?
I was referring to just repainting the front bumper, since that's the only spot I really seem to get any chips/dings.
Old 02-29-20, 03:22 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
I was referring to just repainting the front bumper, since that's the only spot I really seem to get any chips/dings.
Yeah, the dealer I bought my used IS from had the bumper repainted before they shipped it to me, as I could see lots of chips in the prepurchase pictures. Cheap and easy and looks great.

Quick Reply: New Poll - Paint Protection Film (PPF)