IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

GPS won't get signal anymore

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 09:30 AM
smbell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS won't get signal anymore

Around a year ago my GPS would lose the signal here and there and the GPS text would turn from white to grey causing the map to eventually get off location. Recently it's become more frequent to the point now where it has worked for around an hour in the last three weeks. I don't use the navigation, but it's nice to have the map correct for distance to exits and whatever. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to try and pull the head unit and check the connection and someone said you can reach the antennae from inside the dome light hole if you have tiny hands, but it seems unlikely that it would just come loose.

2014 non-ml

Last edited by smbell; 02-29-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-29-20, 11:05 AM
Momentum18
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smbell
Around a year ago my GPS would lose the signal here and there and the GPS text would turn from white to grey causing the map to eventually get off location. Recently it's become more frequent to the point now where it has worked for around an hour in the last three weeks. I don't use the navigation, but it's nice to have the map correct for distance to exits and whatever. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to try and pull the head unit and check the connection and someone said you can reach the antennae from inside the dome light hole if you have tiny hands, but it seems unlikely that it would just come loose.

2014 non-ml
I am not certain if it’s related to your issue, but there is a limited service campaign for certain Lexus model years that causes the gps location to be incorrect specifically for the Safety Connect System. I received an email about that, but when I called the dealer they informed me that my vin is not affected. It’s worth giving them a call before you disassemble anything. Its free of charge
Old 02-29-20, 12:03 PM
JKING3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smbell

2014 non-ml
there’s a gps update you probably need. I received a letter last year telling me all gps systems in the world built before a certain date would stop working accurately after I think November 2019. The letter said the car gps was definitely affected (like every gps in the planet) and would need a firmware update from the dealer(free) which I still haven’t done myself.
Old 02-29-20, 01:43 PM
smbell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKING3
there’s a gps update you probably need. I received a letter last year telling me all gps systems in the world built before a certain date would stop working accurately after I think November 2019. The letter said the car gps was definitely affected (like every gps in the planet) and would need a firmware update from the dealer(free) which I still haven’t done myself.
Interesting, I'll check that out. Thanks!

It seems to only affect the safety connect GPS location feature from what I gather. I think this is the same thing the poster above mentions. Doesn't affect standard nav features.

Last edited by smbell; 02-29-20 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 06:59 PM
Mushi31
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue. GPS is throwing me off in another location. I did the Recall and i can confirm that it is only for the Safety Connect and nothing related to GPS which i find it ironic which is a bummer. I am still frustrated because i figured this is an Safety Issue.