IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD trans v. RWD trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 06:33 AM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AWD trans v. RWD trans

So as you all know my 2015 IS350 base AWD was totaled when a young girl rear ended me going about 55 on the freeway while I was at a stop. I am looking at another 3rd gen IS350. I loved me AWD, but I am intrigued by the 8 speed transmission of the RWD models vs. the 6 speed transmission of the AWD models. Anyone have experience driving both? Thoughts? I’m not in any rush so I can be picky and choosy. I just want to make the right decision. Would love to hear feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-01-20, 08:44 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I drove both but they were both RWD before Lexus switched over to the 8 speed. (4GS vs. 3IS) IMO, it comes down to what you're looking for because I felt the 8 speed was more decisive in its gear changes. The 6 speed would hold onto a gear a little longer giving me the feeling of a little more aggressive drive whereas the 8 speed always sought to maintain a low RPM. I would honestly suggest hitting up a local CarMax and driving both in normal and sport mode. Also, AWD sits a little higher than RWD so you may also want to take a look at the aesthetics unless of course you're going to adjust the adjust the height with aftermarket parts then nvm.
Old 03-01-20, 08:56 AM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I drove both but they were both RWD before Lexus switched over to the 8 speed. (4GS vs. 3IS) IMO, it comes down to what you're looking for because I felt the 8 speed was more decisive in its gear changes. The 6 speed would hold onto a gear a little longer giving me the feeling of a little more aggressive drive whereas the 8 speed always sought to maintain a low RPM. I would honestly suggest hitting up a local CarMax and driving both in normal and sport mode. Also, AWD sits a little higher than RWD so you may also want to take a look at the aesthetics unless of course you're going to adjust the adjust the height with aftermarket parts then nvm.
how was it using the paddle shifts and in sport mode?
Old 03-01-20, 09:35 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

The RWD 8 speed will probably be lighter and have different weight distribution vs the 6 speed AWD, it'll probably handle better as well. You also will not have a hump in your driver's side footwell, so you have a bit more space. I would suspect the fuel economy should be better too.

Not seeing much reason for AWD if you're in Tennessee. Even up here in the Toronto area, I've driven in most major snowfalls this year and had no issues getting around with a good set of winters on.
Old 03-01-20, 09:51 AM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m1919
The RWD 8 speed will probably be lighter and have different weight distribution vs the 6 speed AWD, it'll probably handle better as well. You also will not have a hump in your driver's side footwell, so you have a bit more space. I would suspect the fuel economy should be better too.

Not seeing much reason for AWD if you're in Tennessee. Even up here in the Toronto area, I've driven in most major snowfalls this year and had no issues getting around with a good set of winters on.
i don’t really need the AWD. It rarely snows here, and when it does, the whole city shuts down and ppl basically stay home. I just liked having an AWD car. But it sounds like the AWD is pretty much extra weight with not much benefit.
Old 03-01-20, 01:16 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cm6063
So as you all know my 2015 IS350 base AWD was totaled when a young girl rear ended me going about 55 on the freeway while I was at a stop. I am looking at another 3rd gen IS350. I loved me AWD, but I am intrigued by the 8 speed transmission of the RWD models vs. the 6 speed transmission of the AWD models. Anyone have experience driving both? Thoughts? I’m not in any rush so I can be picky and choosy. I just want to make the right decision. Would love to hear feedback. Thanks.
6 speed has slightly better gearing for 0-60 so it accelerates off the line faster plus can put full power down without tire spin... however the RWD models weigh slightly less, have a faster shifting transmission and make more power at the wheels due to less drivetrain loss.
Weight distribution, ground clearance are so close it’s not worth mentioning. Also based on several magazine reviews I’ve read on the cars the AWD model doesn’t handle any differently, that’s something they mention as surprising.
I chose AWD because I live in a climate where it’s a blizzard 5 months of the year, also I could only afford 2014/2015 models which come with no LSD (limited slip differential) meaning RWD models for those years are essentially 1 wheel drive cars.
I believe 2018+ Fsport models get a LSD. If I lived somewhere with less snow and I could have afforded the RWD model with LSD I would of chosen that, but I figured I’d rather have 2 wheels with power to them vs 1.
Old 03-01-20, 02:37 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919

I've really come appreciate the AWD when roads are not cleared since I know I won't get stuck even with winters that have low tread, that was an issue with my old 2010 RWD even with good winters but for down south not so much an issue.
As a Canadian driver I won't go back to RWD as much as I like it unless it is a secondary car.
Old 03-01-20, 02:50 PM
cm6063
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by athanato
I've really come appreciate the AWD when roads are not cleared since I know I won't get stuck even with winters that have low tread, that was an issue with my old 2010 RWD even with good winters but for down south not so much an issue.
As a Canadian driver I won't go back to RWD as much as I like it unless it is a secondary car.
i think at this point I will just go with whichever comes to me first. It’s not a dealbreaker for me.
Old 03-01-20, 08:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by cm6063
i think at this point I will just go with whichever comes to me first. It’s not a dealbreaker for me.
There are some other things to consider with the RWD model. It has the F Sport brake pads, which are high-friction and will wear out faster. However, they also have better fade resistance in theory. Personally, I like the standard pads (which the AWD model has) just fine. They feel the same in normal driving.

I will say, the RWD model has a slightly more agile feel than AWD. Could have been placebo, but I was impressed how different it felt compared with my IS 300 AWD. Again I'd say drive them both, preferably back-to-back.
Old 03-02-20, 07:04 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
There are some other things to consider with the RWD model. It has the F Sport brake pads, which are high-friction and will wear out faster. However, they also have better fade resistance in theory. Personally, I like the standard pads (which the AWD model has) just fine. They feel the same in normal driving.

I will say, the RWD model has a slightly more agile feel than AWD. Could have been placebo, but I was impressed how different it felt compared with my IS 300 AWD. Again I'd say drive them both, preferably back-to-back.
All Fsports get high friction pads (if I’m not mistaken) but for some reason RWD gets larger front rotors. Both will understeer at the limit and you’d have to push pretty hard to find that out. I wish I could have driven a 8 speed but in Canada their rare.
Old 03-02-20, 07:41 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
All Fsports get high friction pads (if I’m not mistaken) but for some reason RWD gets larger front rotors. Both will understeer at the limit and you’d have to push pretty hard to find that out. I wish I could have driven a 8 speed but in Canada their rare.
There's a whole thread about this topic on the forums, so I'd defer to it. I'm almost certain that the F Sport RWD models get Textar pads, whereas AWD gets Advics front pads.
Old 03-03-20, 05:58 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in Connecticut, we get real snow, but I went with the RWD model (2015 IS350 F-sport). The 8spd trans shifts quicker than the 6spd (especially in S+ mode). As to tire spin on acceleration, you just have to calibrate your foot instead of planting it and going, but if that is your method the traction control is actually pretty good, it doesn't completely neuter the car when it activates.
The AWD cars I test drove had more driveline noise and the shifts weren't as smooth.
As to handling, they feel eerily similar, I didn't push the AWD to the limits of grip during my test drive, but did attack some corners aggressively and was impressed.
As to fuel economy, take a walk over the fuelly and see what people are averaging, I think it will be a small difference on average, with the RWD model being more efficient.

I think you'll be happy either way, it really depends on what your preference is with drive trains; I prefer the ability to oversteer on demand.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 12:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Only RWD F-Sport models get the high friction pads. The brakes are the same size for RWD, AWD, F-Sport and non.

Only the RC and GS get larger brakes on the RWD F-Sport, the IS does not.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 12:15 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Only RWD F-Sport models get the high friction pads. The brakes are the same size for RWD, AWD, F-Sport and non.

Only the RC and GS get larger brakes on the RWD F-Sport, the IS does not.

Jeff

I saw this thread where you say the fsport rwd rotors are “different”. I thought the difference was the diameter, what is it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rt-brakes.html

Old 03-03-20, 12:16 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

They have different cooling vanes, but they are the same size.

Jeff

Quick Reply: AWD trans v. RWD trans