IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 04:42 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by wongnee
Sorry to ask but where could I find the torque figures for those screws to be removed? (I'm sure it's been shared before but it's hard to dig from so many posts)

THANKS!
Do you have an AWD or RWD? The specs are different depending.
Have a look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bushing-5.html
Old 09-21-21, 06:25 AM
niwrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5000 miles later on RCF bushings

Tire wear seems even with just about 1/32'' of wear and only a single 1/32'' difference from inside to outside using the pocket tread checker tool. Initially 9/32 now 8/32 and 7/32 from one side to other.

Post alignment still drives straight on highway in my opinion

turns braking and accelerating feels fine

also regarding PSI observation on tire wear

Running fronts at +3 and rears at +1 over manufacturer and normal increase from cold is 2-5 PSI, with most common increase at 3PSI on fronts and increase of 4PSI on rears as per dashboard display and confirmed with a dedicated pressure gauge to be within 1 PSI.

Notably had outer tire wear running 36 PSI in winter and hindsight reveals that running in any kind of precipitation such as rain and especially light snow kept PSI from increasing the entire winter during commutes, so there was no increase in PSI. From this it seems if one will be driving on rainy or snowy highways it's best to add 3 PSI to all tires since there won't be enough tire heating to prevent under inflation aka outer tire wear.

The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (09-21-21)
Old 10-04-21, 09:44 PM
malagente4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry IS 2018 excessive tire wear still!

Originally Posted by Ceten
I've read (I think on these forums) that the excessive inner tire wear has been reduced on the 2018+ models. I don't recall what the reason given was. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I've only had mine for a few months and I keep forgetting to take a look, so I'm no help.
unfortunately it has not been fixed in the 2018. Lexus it’s really screwing this up! The tires won’t last 10000 miles and they want to make you believe it’s your fault! It’s a RIP OFF!
Old 10-05-21, 04:14 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ We all know that the tire wear is still ongoing, and wouldn't be surprised the 2021+ have the same issue - There is an easy fix (as per this thread) and doing so will avoid premature wear of your tires. No car company is perfect and all have their inherent flaws/issues. Luckily for consumers, a little bit of investigating prior to buying can identify the issues. When you buy a vehicle with staggered tire size and no ability to do rotation, that should also give you a hint that you could potentially have an issue with tire wear, then add soft lower control arm bushings in the front and then you have what we have. Again, there is an easy fix with either stiffer OEM bushings or going aftermarket and much better bushings (at a higher cost but worth it).

When I bought my 2021, I had the GS F bushing installed right from the start to reduce the chances of the front tire wear.

Old 10-08-21, 06:18 AM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone help

im getting bc racing lowering coil overs. I just bought brand new tires for my 2017 IS350 FSport. I want to buy the figs lca bushing and the rear camber thing people talking about.

can u please post a link to those 2 products. I’m in canads but don’t mind buying from states.
Old 10-08-21, 08:20 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruzifan
Can someone help

im getting bc racing lowering coil overs. I just bought brand new tires for my 2017 IS350 FSport. I want to buy the figs lca bushing and the rear camber thing people talking about.

can u please post a link to those 2 products. I’m in canads but don’t mind buying from states.
Here is a link to the full kit that will save you some money. It includes front LCA’s with rear #2 upper link. Make sure you in the available options, you select “YES, FIGS Billet Bracket” (+$120) before adding to tour cart. The Figs rear #2 upper link is the same fit, form, function to the SPC part number 72450 and is about the same coast same cost. For most places that sell the SPC links, the advertised price, is for a single unit - so it’s $120 for each arm and you need 2 arms for a total of $240.

https://shopfigs.com/v3/CAT-G3-LEXUS...IS4GSEssential

Old 10-08-21, 09:11 AM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by V00D001
Here is a link to the full kit that will save you some money. It includes front LCA’s with rear #2 upper link. Make sure you in the available options, you select “YES, FIGS Billet Bracket” (+$120) before adding to tour cart. The Figs rear #2 upper link is the same fit, form, function to the SPC part number 72450 and is about the same coast same cost. For most places that sell the SPC links, the advertised price, is for a single unit - so it’s $120 for each arm and you need 2 arms for a total of $240.

https://shopfigs.com/v3/CAT-G3-LEXUS...IS4GSEssential
thanks so much!

so basically the Bracket is what the bushing goes into right? based on the thread, i can use my old brackets? my friend has a shop that has the pressing machine. will that do or should i still buy new brackets?

also, when ordering, it's asking EK GS-F/RC-F/RC350,3IS,4GS REAR UPPER ARM BUSHING: Super pro polyutherane for $125
K GS-F RC-F RC350 3IS 4GS FRNT LCA BUSH DURO: high performance 90 or standard 80

Old 10-08-21, 09:34 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks so much!

so basically the Bracket is what the bushing goes into right? based on the thread, i can use my old brackets? my friend has a shop that has the pressing machine. will that do or should i still buy new brackets?

also, when ordering, it's asking EK GS-F/RC-F/RC350,3IS,4GS REAR UPPER ARM BUSHING: Super pro polyutherane for $125
K GS-F RC-F RC350 3IS 4GS FRNT LCA BUSH DURO: high performance 90 or standard 80
Yep. In that case, you won’t have to buy the brackets.
Old 10-09-21, 05:47 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

In canads I can get the RCF bushing only for $140 each from dealer.

the RR Racing is $348 plus $50 so $400 USD shipped.

figgs one is $169 each plus $125 for the kit.

which is the better quality bushing? Should I go with RR or FIGGS
Old 10-09-21, 06:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

In canads I can get the RCF bushing only for $140 each from dealer.

the RR Racing is $348 plus $50 so $400 USD shipped.

figgs one is $169 each plus $125 for the kit.

which is the better quality bushing? Should I go with RR or FIGGS
Did you look up the part numbers for the RCF bushings on megazip.net? You'll not there is a significant difference in price vs the dealer, and that is shipped to your door.
As to which bushing is better really depends on your end goal.
Some have noted that the RR Racing bushings produces a lot of NVH they don't like.
The RCF bushings are the mildest of the three, and also the lowest cost of the three...by a mile.
Old 10-09-21, 06:39 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Did you look up the part numbers for the RCF bushings on megazip.net? You'll not there is a significant difference in price vs the dealer, and that is shipped to your door.
Some have noted that the RR Racing bushings produces a lot of NVH they don't like.
The RCF bushings are the mildest of the three, and also the lowest cost of the three...by a mile.
damnnn lol the RCF OEM part on megazip shipped is $117 USD!!!

Can someone confirm if the RCF OEM ones come with the bracket? Or do I need to punch the old one out??

okay so RR racing is out of question since I don’t want much NVH.

Now the FIGS I found this link below is about $400 USD shipped. If this part is superior than the RCF, I don’t mind paying extra if it’s gonna be worth it. If not I can the RCF one

https://shopfigs.com/v3/G2ISHP-FRLCA...search=Bracket
Old 10-09-21, 07:02 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

damnnn lol the RCF OEM part on megazip shipped is $117 USD!!!

Can someone confirm if the RCF OEM ones come with the bracket? Or do I need to punch the old one out??

okay so RR racing is out of question since I don’t want much NVH.

Now the FIGS I found this link below is about $400 USD shipped. If this part is superior than the RCF, I don’t mind paying extra if it’s gonna be worth it. If not I can the RCF one

https://shopfigs.com/v3/G2ISHP-FRLCA...search=Bracket
At $117 USD shipped for the pair it's hard to say no to that.
They come installed into the bracket...it's literally plug and play...this is a genuine Lexus part that would be ready to install into an RCF.
At 3 times the price I would try to the RCF bushings first.

The 80 durometer version you linked is similar to the RCF bushings...the big price difference is for their fancy bracket...which no one will ever see, not even you.
They have a 90 durometer version that is the same price and closer to the RR Racing bushings.

If you want the 90 durometer bushings, FIGS sells just the bushings that you can press into the factory brackets. https://shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicle/c...LCA-SP3491K-90
That's if you have a press available to you.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (10-11-21)
Old 10-09-21, 07:31 PM
Ruzifan
Pit Crew

At $117 USD shipped for the pair it's hard to say no to that.
They come installed into the bracket...it's literally plug and play...this is a genuine Lexus part that would be ready to install into an RCF.
At 3 times the price I would try to the RCF bushings first.

The 80 durometer version you linked is similar to the RCF bushings...the big price difference is for their fancy bracket...which no one will ever see, not even you.
They have a 90 durometer version that is the same price and closer to the RR Racing bushings.

If you want the 90 durometer bushings, FIGS sells just the bushings that you can press into the factory brackets. https://shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicle/c...LCA-SP3491K-90
That's if you have a press available to you.
ure right, it’s quite the price different. I don’t care about racing or performance. I’m just tryna fix the tire wear issue. Also, as someone mentioned, the rear uplink is also good to chnahe sinxe I’ll be lowering my car. I’m in Canada, so when snow hits, I will raise the car witht the coilovers. Do I gotta change back to the old oem upper link once I raise the car for winter?
Old 10-10-21, 05:25 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

ure right, it’s quite the price different. I don’t care about racing or performance. I’m just tryna fix the tire wear issue. Also, as someone mentioned, the rear uplink is also good to chnahe sinxe I’ll be lowering my car. I’m in Canada, so when snow hits, I will raise the car witht the coilovers. Do I gotta change back to the old oem upper link once I raise the car for winter?
I'm in Ontario too
You can leave the link, but when you raise/lower the car technically the alignment does change slightly. I'm not saying you have to do an alignment each time you raise/lower it, but you may want to check it in the Spring time.
I say Spring because most will drive more during the Spring/Summer/Fall than during Winter, even though Winter is the an equal amount of calendar time compared to the other three seasons combined...so that will be the time of the most tire wear.
Old 10-11-21, 08:40 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Would I need to buy two of each part number? Or does each part number come as a pair? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear