All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 02:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,807 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinIS250
Hello All,
So i am having the same issue here with my car 2015 IS 250 and the advisor at the dealer say it's an alignment problem so yesterday i decided to check out this forum. I just change my front tires ( bridgestone turanza el400) yesterday so i am looking for a fix because these tires are expensive. The last pair only gave me approximately 14k (wish i could post a picture). I saw the post about changing the LCA bushing from stock to RCF bushing (48075/48076-24010) but when i contacted the dealer and a online supplier for purchasing they said the part is not compatible. Can someone please confirm if this part will work for my car?
I see no reason why the part would be incompatible. Sorry to hear that the dealer is giving you a hard time.

I'd recommend going with a different tire as well. The Bridgestone Turanza el400's are massively overpriced and not a great tire to begin with.

There might have been an alignment problem, but this issue is inherent to the IS (see above). Alignment would only make it worse. LCA bushings would help but perhaps not completely eliminate the issue.
Old 03-26-20, 06:13 PM
ChinIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by arentz07
I see no reason why the part would be incompatible. Sorry to hear that the dealer is giving you a hard time.

I'd recommend going with a different tire as well. The Bridgestone Turanza el400's are massively overpriced and not a great tire to begin with.

There might have been an alignment problem, but this issue is inherent to the IS (see above). Alignment would only make it worse. LCA bushings would help but perhaps not completely eliminate the issue.
Thanks for your response
Old 03-27-20, 04:46 PM
ChinIS250
Driver School Candidate

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-20, 07:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ChinIS250
Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Again, it's an inherent problem in the IS's design. The only way to fix this is to change parts - in this case, go for the firmer lower control arm bushings of the RC F or some aftermarket bushings. If I were you, I would just order the bushings myself rather than going through the dealer. Then have a shop install them.
Old 03-30-20, 10:01 AM
ChinIS250
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the post.
Old 03-30-20, 06:15 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Would you recommend the FIGS or the OEM RCF bushings for the front? Just replaced my tires and want to get as much out of them as possible.... I guess the FIGS would be more expensive?
Old 03-31-20, 07:09 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
Would you recommend the FIGS or the OEM RCF bushings for the front? Just replaced my tires and want to get as much out of them as possible.... I guess the FIGS would be more expensive?
If tire wear is the only thing that concerns you, install RC F option. It is factory and the dealer will be less fussy about it, if you get a problem with your car/warranty later.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10769892

Last edited by sunamer; 03-31-20 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
andwutfu (03-16-21)
Old 04-10-20, 01:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not sure if this helps or not, but we all had the same problems with our 2IS's. But at least for me, it was the rear inner tires wearing. After two sets of tires, I had the alignment guys "tilt" out the rear wheels in the opposite direction, to counter the problem. It worked quite well. I went from getting under 15k miles to about 20K. I think that's fair for a car with a sport package and 18"ers. But what's happening now is the centers of the rears now wear out, which is supposedly due to too much air, even though I'm always at the recommended numbers. Unfortunately, letting some air out just causes the warning light on the dash to go on. So I'm kinda stuck there with the centers wearing.

Old 04-10-20, 02:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not sure if this helps or not, but we all had the same problems with our 2IS's. But at least for me, it was the rear inner tires wearing. After two sets of tires, I had the alignment guys "tilt" out the rear wheels in the opposite direction, to counter the problem. It worked quite well. I went from getting under 15k miles to about 20K. I think that's fair for a car with a sport package and 18"ers. But what's happening now is the centers of the rears now wear out, which is supposedly due to too much air, even though I'm always at the recommended numbers. Unfortunately, letting some air out just causes the warning light on the dash to go on. So I'm kinda stuck there with the centers wearing.
Thanks for sharing. That is strange. If you drive like you stole it though, seems logical for a RWD car.

If it's the rear tires, I wouldn't think it's the same problem. Do 2ISes also experience the front inner wear at all?
Old 04-10-20, 02:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Thanks for sharing. That is strange. If you drive like you stole it though, seems logical for a RWD car.

If it's the rear tires, I wouldn't think it's the same problem. Do 2ISes also experience the front inner wear at all?
I believe they did with the front tires. And back at the time I first starting investigating the whole thing, it was the same problems 3IS owners are having. So the problem carried over from one gen to the other. Oddly though, I've never had front tires wearing, just the rears. But I added the Lexus F-Sport springs, so I think that changed the dynamics of everything in some shape or form, making the end result what it is today.
Old 07-20-20, 02:18 PM
Heagy80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been dealing with this issue on my 15 is350. 9000 miles out of the fronts (on 3rd set in 20k miles even after dealer set toe and camber at zero). Barely got 20k on the rears, same problem.I am down to trying the RCF bushings or being done with this car and moving on.

anyone have a good link on where to buy the RCF bushings? And any additional thoughts on whether it’s worth it??
Old 07-23-20, 01:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Heagy80
Been dealing with this issue on my 15 is350. 9000 miles out of the fronts (on 3rd set in 20k miles even after dealer set toe and camber at zero). Barely got 20k on the rears, same problem.I am down to trying the RCF bushings or being done with this car and moving on.

anyone have a good link on where to buy the RCF bushings? And any additional thoughts on whether it’s worth it??
Megazip.net is an excellent place to buy them.
Old 08-02-20, 07:00 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Got a really bad case of this inner tire wear. .. changed all four tires today, going for alignment tomorrow. It was so bad that the steering wheel was shaking.

Last edited by zhifan1; 08-03-20 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 09:52 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

2018 IS300 AWD F-Sport with 18" OEM wheels/tires and stock suspension.

I've got 20K on my OEM tires. I got the car in February this year with 15K on the dial. Probably 90% of that 5K are highway miles. The fronts aren't completely worn out yet even though it does have excessive inner wear when compared to outside of the tire. Trying to decide on the drop before I replace the tires....around a 1" drop - nothing extreme. After doing some research to get a little more wear out of the stock tires, I installed Figs 90 durometer LCA Bushings and Bracket kit this past weekend.

I definitely notice that the steering is more responsive with less wandering at 50 to 100mph after I installed the bushings. The car seems to have slightly less understeer on On/Off ramps as well. It is slightly louder - not bad, just slightly more noise. Overall a good upgrade that I'd recommend to anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by V00D001:
bradwal (07-27-23), LexoticJ (11-09-21)
Old 08-04-20, 02:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by V00D001
2018 IS300 AWD F-Sport with 18" OEM wheels/tires and stock suspension.

I've got 20K on my OEM tires. I got the car in February this year with 15K on the dial. Probably 90% of that 5K are highway miles. The fronts aren't completely worn out yet even though it does have excessive inner wear when compared to outside of the tire. Trying to decide on the drop before I replace the tires....around a 1" drop - nothing extreme. After doing some research to get a little more wear out of the stock tires, I installed Figs 90 durometer LCA Bushings and Bracket kit this past weekend.

I definitely notice that the steering is more responsive with less wandering at 50 to 100mph after I installed the bushings. The car seems to have slightly less understeer on On/Off ramps as well. It is slightly louder - not bad, just slightly more noise. Overall a good upgrade that I'd recommend to anyone.
Thank you for sharing! I'd be curious just how well the Figs bushings will improve the tire wear.
The following users liked this post:
LexoticJ (11-09-21)

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear