IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 09:41 PM
branb
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if this applies to a 2022 is300?
Old 03-07-22, 09:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by branb
Does anyone know if this applies to a 2022 is300?
I have a 2021 IS 350 and have not observed the issue yet with about 7,500 miles on the tires. It might be too early to tell. Maybe some 2021 owners with more miles can chime in.

I would say to wait and see for now.
Old 03-14-22, 05:34 AM
hoffheins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wear so far

I have a 21 350 with 7200 and no uneven wear. The wear is very even across the tire But did the LCA design get reengineered? I took it to get it inspected and got underneath with the tech and The bushings are clamped between two large pieces of metal. Didn't have time to really analyze beyond that description but I thought it was only attached on one side in previous models and that was mainly why the rubber bushings flexed. This seems like a solid design that would prevent wear but give you a softer road feel from the rubber. I may upgrade to the PU bushings anyway lol just for the increase in feel.
Old 03-14-22, 06:58 AM
CASeoul
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffheins
I have a 21 350 with 7200 and no uneven wear. The wear is very even across the tire But did the LCA design get reengineered? I took it to get it inspected and got underneath with the tech and The bushings are clamped between two large pieces of metal. Didn't have time to really analyze beyond that description but I thought it was only attached on one side in previous models and that was mainly why the rubber bushings flexed. This seems like a solid design that would prevent wear but give you a softer road feel from the rubber. I may upgrade to the PU bushings anyway lol just for the increase in feel.
A picture would be much more helpful than words.
​​​​​​
I have no idea if you're describing the same piece from before or not.
Did they look like these?

Old 03-14-22, 04:54 PM
hoffheins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CASeoul
A picture would be much more helpful than words.
​​​​​​
I have no idea if you're describing the same piece from before or not.
Did they look like these?

Fair enough. Especially since I was wrong about the design lol. That is the bracket I saw but the sandwiched design is not a thing. Not sure what I thought I saw. Here's a pic.

Any idea why no wear in the new models?

Old 03-15-22, 05:17 PM
CASeoul
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffheins
Fair enough. Especially since I was wrong about the design lol. That is the bracket I saw but the sandwiched design is not a thing. Not sure what I thought I saw. Here's a pic.

Any idea why no wear in the new models?

The wear problem is/was fairly widespread but there were also a fair number of owners who never had a problem on stock bushings. It's also affected by driving style- exacerbated might be a better word.

Unless they started using the stiffer rcf/gsf bushings that people use to mitigate the issue? But without more data I don't know if we'd call the problem fixed just yet.
Old 04-15-22, 10:02 AM
Scytal
4th Gear

Ho man, hope this post doesnt appear twice. Having issue with wifi here.

Questions ,
i own a 2017 is200 T Rwd f-sport.
As most of you i am having issue with front inner wear.

I was looking for Figs lca 90 duro. LCA with braket.

1- is it possible they are no longer available on the figs website? I had the page saved in my "favorites" but now it says item not found. Im either blind or they dont have them anymore?
2- will the figs be like the RR racing. Meaning will i have to remove them yearly to grease them? ( i drive the car year round in montreal cold and winter elements. )
3- rear tire are still decent. Will easily do another summer. I dont like throwing money away. If im going with the michelin 4s . Only in front for this year. Do you guys think its a bad idea? Would have change the rear ones next summer . ( original turenza in the back )

Daily commuter / no track . Enjoy some sporty ride. Want to reduce inner wear.
Old 04-15-22, 10:14 AM
niwrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't need to replace rear and front together. the original turenzas are pretty bad IMO except for being a little quieter
Old 04-15-22, 05:28 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Scytal
Ho man, hope this post doesnt appear twice. Having issue with wifi here.

Questions ,
i own a 2017 is200 T Rwd f-sport.
As most of you i am having issue with front inner wear.

I was looking for Figs lca 90 duro. LCA with braket.

1- is it possible they are no longer available on the figs website? I had the page saved in my "favorites" but now it says item not found. Im either blind or they dont have them anymore?
2- will the figs be like the RR racing. Meaning will i have to remove them yearly to grease them? ( i drive the car year round in montreal cold and winter elements. )
3- rear tire are still decent. Will easily do another summer. I dont like throwing money away. If im going with the michelin 4s . Only in front for this year. Do you guys think its a bad idea? Would have change the rear ones next summer . ( original turenza in the back )

Daily commuter / no track . Enjoy some sporty ride. Want to reduce inner wear.
2 - Yes, they will require lubrication.
3 - Just replace according to wear. Since it's RWD the only risk with replacing one axle at a time is rain/snow performance. Generally you'd want the rears to have higher tread in order to ensure drivability (i.e., prevent oversteer in the rain).
Old 04-15-22, 05:55 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
2 - Yes, they will require lubrication.
Are you saying we should lube the newer bushings? If so, what lube and where?

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 04-15-22 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 07:00 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
Are you saying we should lube the newer bushings? If so, what lube and where?
The grease should be included with the bushings if you buy from the manufacturer.

See this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post9768270
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22, 10:36 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Scytal
Installed my FIGS almost 3 years ago, and had some squeak on slow hard left turns (e.g. back out of driveway and make a hard left going forward). Finally annoyed me enough that I got a can of silicone spray lubricant and gave both ends of the bushings a soaking (without removing them). No more squeaks and I have been driving the car year round (was intended to just be my winter and bad weather car [Chicago and Wisconsin winters]).
Old 04-28-22, 08:13 PM
dlreyess
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
Negative, I have an 18 and the inner tire wear was there. a RCF bushings completely mitigated the issue for me so far after 14k miles. I also run SPC rear camber arms on the rears since I’m lowered to get closer to spec so I don’t have too much negative camber.

so on the front, all you changed to negate the issue was the OE IS bushings to RCF?
Old 05-04-22, 09:10 AM
Hugebergen
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I guess I’m due.

This is what my rears look like, bad inner tire wear. I will be ordering a set of spc camber arms soon. Do you guys set the camber to 0 once you get them installed? Fronts show signs of inner wear but could be a bad alignment my steering wheel doesn’t sit straight. 2017 is300 awd

Last edited by arentz07; 05-04-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 01:12 PM
DS03
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I asked this last year but maybe there's more info out there now: has this issue been resolved in the 2021/22 versions? I've read of updates to the suspension & handling for the refreshed model, but no details on what exactly was changed.
The following users liked this post:
manataur (06-08-23)

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear