IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22, 08:56 AM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
FWIW, I've got almost 15k miles on my 2021 and haven't seen any inner wear issues yet. So maybe a 2021+ will be in your future.
I’m seeing the same thing. I have 10k miles on my 2021 IS350 and wear is even (5mm across the board on all tires and channels).
Old 12-12-22, 12:19 PM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2021 I replaced the front bushings with the RCF and aligned it so the fronts are good. The alignment shop noted the camber in the rear was not adjustable and probably needed it. Now at 13k miles I am noticing inner tire wear in the rear. Not dramatic, but enough that I am starting to look at replacement tires. Might have to see if I can get an adjustable rear camber kit and do that before I get new tires.

Last edited by FH212; 12-12-22 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-24-22, 04:25 PM
JCMno
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

And this is what my inner tire wear looks like on my lowered 2021 is350 (stock tires bushings) at almost 18k miles. Photos are from front and rear.

Old 12-27-22, 08:21 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ Did you ever have an alignment done/checked on yours? The reason I ask is that every Lexus I got needed an alignment right out of the dealer. I am not sure if the messed upalignment is happening in transit when these are being tied down on ships/trucks but thie even was the case on the wife's toyota. I am never going to buy a car an assume the alignment is correct before I drive away. I would rather pay for an alignment check and have the peace of mind. That being said, after they realize the alignment is off (and that I am right), they never charge me
Old 12-27-22, 09:18 AM
JCMno
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Did you ever have an alignment done/checked on yours? The reason I ask is that every Lexus I got needed an alignment right out of the dealer. I am not sure if the messed upalignment is happening in transit when these are being tied down on ships/trucks but thie even was the case on the wife's toyota. I am never going to buy a car an assume the alignment is correct before I drive away. I would rather pay for an alignment check and have the peace of mind. That being said, after they realize the alignment is off (and that I am right), they never charge me
Yes sir, alignment has been checked twice per year since I am lowered.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (12-27-22)
Old 03-22-23, 12:36 AM
mubsy85
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey guys how you doing,

purchased 2nd hand a 2018 is300 rwd F sport, love the car!
as i was doing research before purchasing i also ran into this thread in regards to the LCA Bushes and the uneven tire wear up front. so i purchased the RC-F front set and also some lowered springs, i had a look at the RC-F LCA bushes and just looked at whats on the car, they look similar to each other.
since i purchased the car off a dealership i wasnt able to ask if it was ever changed by the first owner. just wanted to ask does the stock IS LCA bushes look exactly the same as the RC-F ones? im assuming the bushes are the only thing thats different, IS being softer and RC being stiffer?
im still going to get them changed soon, get the springs installed along with a good alignment. but just wanted to know from factory the IS300 LCA bushes are pretty much identical to the RC ones?

cheers
Old 03-22-23, 06:35 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mubsy85
hey guys how you doing,

purchased 2nd hand a 2018 is300 rwd F sport, love the car!
as i was doing research before purchasing i also ran into this thread in regards to the LCA Bushes and the uneven tire wear up front. so i purchased the RC-F front set and also some lowered springs, i had a look at the RC-F LCA bushes and just looked at whats on the car, they look similar to each other.
since i purchased the car off a dealership i wasnt able to ask if it was ever changed by the first owner. just wanted to ask does the stock IS LCA bushes look exactly the same as the RC-F ones? im assuming the bushes are the only thing thats different, IS being softer and RC being stiffer?
im still going to get them changed soon, get the springs installed along with a good alignment. but just wanted to know from factory the IS300 LCA bushes are pretty much identical to the RC ones?

cheers
The RCF LCA bushings will look identical to your stock ones visually. The difference is the rubber compound. The RCF uses a stiffer rubber to help. You will feel the difference when you install them. Its not dramatic but I noticed it on my 21 IS350 in the way it steered.
mubsy85 (03-22-23)
Old 03-22-23, 04:16 PM
LA20671
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

For me I was going to rock the RCF LCA bushings and knew it was an upgrade over the IS. Instead of rocking the RCF, I went with Figs #2 polyurethane busing 90 (go big or home style ). After having it for 2 months, I think its a lot better than the RCF imo because its a one shot issue and don't have to worry about it in the near future when your car is lowered. Just get your car aligned and your good.
Old 03-22-23, 11:33 PM
mubsy85
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was actually thinking of just going hard or go home style as well, figs was the last option as my concern is if i was to change one to figs that would mean i should change the rest of the front and rear bushings to figs as well, im worried i might turn the daily car into a weekend race car lol. but i'll install the RC-F ones first, plus good alignment and i'll go from there.
thanks for the help fellas!
LaZeR (04-09-23)
Old 03-23-23, 02:00 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by mubsy85
… my concern is if i was to change one to figs that would mean i should change the rest of the front and rear bushings to figs as well, …
No need to do that.
mubsy85 (03-24-23)
Old 03-30-23, 01:52 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I still get inner tire wear even with RCF/GSF bushings and post alignment but I might attribute that to the RSR down springs I have-- pushes the car to about -1.5 to -1.8 degrees of camber in the front. Rear isn't bad though
The following 2 users liked this post by swaangin:
LaZeR (03-30-23), manataur (06-08-23)
Old 04-09-23, 11:08 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyN
RCF zero offset LCA bushing with +.08 toe in on each side has eliminated any adverse tire wear on my 2017, oem set lasted about 10k, I have 15k so far and totally even wear.

The rear can also be helped by an additional of a camber kit and setting the camber to 1 degree of camber and toe set at +.015 on each side. I run SPC camber arm in the rear.

With this setup I have perfect even wear now.
So I’ve got the figs bushing on the front and definitely one of the best things I’ve done to the car 12,000 miles on the front tires and they look pretty even. I just noticed on my rears (same mileage) inner doesn’t look bad but my center tread is far more worn than the fronts. Will these camber Arms help with tread issues in the center as well? I’ve seen several online that are adjustable can they be adjusted at home or only by shop while getting alignment?
Old 04-09-23, 11:35 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FH212
The RCF LCA bushings will look identical to your stock ones visually. The difference is the rubber compound. The RCF uses a stiffer rubber to help. You will feel the difference when you install them. Its not dramatic but I noticed it on my 21 IS350 in the way it steered.
Originally Posted by LA20671
For me I was going to rock the RCF LCA bushings and knew it was an upgrade over the IS. Instead of rocking the RCF, I went with Figs #2 polyurethane busing 90 (go big or home style ). After having it for 2 months, I think its a lot better than the RCF imo because its a one shot issue and don't have to worry about it in the near future when your car is lowered. Just get your car aligned and your good.
I am also of the opinion that the GS / RC LCA bushings are good enough to adequately address front tire shredding - "one shot deal" so to speak - however along with regular Alignments you won't have to buy new tires as often.

FIGS & RRacing LCA bushings are great: 1) if you want to spend the extra moola $$$, 2) for much greater performance, but 3) of course you'll still have to buy new tires but can wait longer than with the RC/GS bushings.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-10-23 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-09-23, 11:39 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jmatc
... Next up, differential and transmission fluid flush.
How &/or when do ya know you need differential &/or transmission service? thx
Old 04-10-23, 06:01 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the aftermarket bushing in the front seemed to totally fix my issue up front. It’s the rears now smh. I really don’t want to end up getting new tires with the inner and outer edges still at 70-80% tread due to the centers worn down. Even ran lower pressure in them for awhile 28-32psi.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear