IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 09:08 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jflex15
Yes the aftermarket bushing in the front seemed to totally fix my issue up front. It’s the rears now smh. I really don’t want to end up getting new tires with the inner and outer edges still at 70-80% tread due to the centers worn down. Even ran lower pressure in them for awhile 28-32psi.
When was your last Alignment?

Doesn't higher tire pressure mitigate tire wear ~37+ psi?
Old 04-10-23, 02:31 PM
Jflex15
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
When was your last Alignment?

Doesn't higher tire pressure mitigate tire wear ~37+ psi?
last alignment was about 12,000-13,000 miles ago just before I got new tires all around and about the same time I installed figs LCA bushings. Going to high of tire pressure (im assuming over 39ish) could cause the center to wear down how mine is. I don’t run them that high so im at a loss on why it’s doing this.
Old 05-10-23, 03:51 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

So I’m kinda scratching my head on this. Came to Discount Tire to fix a flat (which turns out the nail hadn’t even gone through) and balance all 4 while h was at it, and turns out my 2 rears are having inner tire wear. The drivers side isn’t bad but the right side is getting bad and the DT employee told me I can probably get 200 miles at most safely out of them. Was not expecting this. What do y’all think? I had the car aligned with 200 miles because the wheel was off center and the verdict was that the right rear toe was out of spec, but now that is the tire wearing the most…

I should add that I am currently at 13,800 on these tires. Admittedly I’ve gotten more out of these tires than I expected.

Last edited by TipsyTonio; 05-10-23 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 04:42 AM
Jflex15
Driver

From what I’ve gathered several people are using SPC camber arms(control arms) in the rear the remedy this problem. So far my issue in the back has been the center tread not the inner like yours wearing down. I’m not sure the best specs to recommend to adjust once these are installed (I think another member posted it before in this thread) but for $350 I think I will try installing these soon to see if it helps my issue. These may help you out since yours is wearing on the inner side so much.
Old 05-11-23, 04:54 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

From what I’ve gathered several people are using SPC camber arms(control arms) in the rear the remedy this problem. So far my issue in the back has been the center tread not the inner like yours wearing down. I’m not sure the best specs to recommend to adjust once these are installed (I think another member posted it before in this thread) but for $350 I think I will try installing these soon to see if it helps my issue. These may help you out since yours is wearing on the inner side so much.
Thank you for sharing this! I had never heard of that rear camber arm until now. I briefly looked into and the one I found just said it was compatible with the IS, it did not mention specific years nor did it mention AWD or RWD. Any idea if this fits a 22 RWD?
Also what’s your opinion on the tire wear? I’m not buying their story that I can only “safely” drive another 200 miles tops especially when the 3 outermost sipes are at 5/32 and the innermost is at 4/32. I’m not denying I have inner tire wear, but I’m also not showing cords or the like. I have an appointment to throw it on the alignment rack this weekend regardless. Just looking at the tread I feel like I can get another 1-2000 out of these tires
Old 05-11-23, 05:53 AM
Jflex15
Driver

I believe they work for both rear wheel and all wheel drive. A lot of the popular vendors for these cars sell them. There’s other brands as well I just hear this one mentioned the most. I’m far from a tire expert but to me looks like you could get more than 200 on them. I’d personally run them and keep an extremely close eye on them.
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (05-11-23)
Old 05-11-23, 06:20 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I believe they work for both rear wheel and all wheel drive. A lot of the popular vendors for these cars sell them. There’s other brands as well I just hear this one mentioned the most. I’m far from a tire expert but to me looks like you could get more than 200 on them. I’d personally run them and keep an extremely close eye on them.
Thank you. If I have to buy new tires I will, and now is a good time since PS4S are on sale at DT, but it's one of the few times where I've felt like the rep was just trying to sell me something I don't actually need.
Old 05-11-23, 06:25 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
So I’m kinda scratching my head on this. Came to Discount Tire to fix a flat (which turns out the nail hadn’t even gone through) and balance all 4 while h was at it, and turns out my 2 rears are having inner tire wear. The drivers side isn’t bad but the right side is getting bad and the DT employee told me I can probably get 200 miles at most safely out of them. Was not expecting this. What do y’all think? I had the car aligned with 200 miles because the wheel was off center and the verdict was that the right rear toe was out of spec, but now that is the tire wearing the most…

I should add that I am currently at 13,800 on these tires. Admittedly I’ve gotten more out of these tires than I expected.

This is exactly how my IS350 tires looked at around the same mileage. I bought Godspeed rear adjustable camber arms, had them installed, car aligned, and bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and you can literally see that my rear tires are straight up and down now with zero camber lean. That will remedy the tire wear issue. Well it better remedy it lol.
TipsyTonio (05-11-23)
Old 05-11-23, 06:32 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by FH212
This is exactly how my IS350 tires looked at around the same mileage. I bought Godspeed rear adjustable camber arms, had them installed, car aligned, and bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and you can literally see that my rear tires are straight up and down now with zero camber lean. That will remedy the tire wear issue. Well it better remedy it lol.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I see you have a 3.5IS so its good to see I'm not the only one having the issue on the refreshed refreshed 3IS lol. Do you happen to have a part number for the arm you used? I went on their website but I only found up to the 2013 IS which is a 2IS. Thanks
Old 05-11-23, 07:02 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Center tread wear tends to be due to over inflation of the tires. Unfortunately, even following the car’s door placard for tire pressure may not be ‘right’ for the tire you’re using.
That, combined with ambient temperature swings, road temperatures, road surface friction, etc., make it nearly impossible to hit a ‘sweet spot’ for even tire wear. But in your case, maybe lower your PSI a bit.
Old 05-11-23, 07:44 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience. I see you have a 3.5IS so its good to see I'm not the only one having the issue on the refreshed refreshed 3IS lol. Do you happen to have a part number for the arm you used? I went on their website but I only found up to the 2013 IS which is a 2IS. Thanks
This is where I got them. They worked great.
https://shop.redline360.com/products...14-2018-ak-154

TipsyTonio (05-11-23)
Old 05-11-23, 11:17 AM
LA20671
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Fig Engineer got them too.. you can buy a combo with the front lower rear mount and the rear adjustable camber.
Rear adjustable camber: https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...LEXUS-IS/G1101
Combo: https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...LEXUS-IS/G1097
TipsyTonio (05-11-23)
Old 05-12-23, 04:20 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by FH212
I’ve looked at the Godspeed version too is there an advantage in using those over the SPC versions? The main question I want to know in regards to these is, once people have installed these are you having your car realigned to factory specs? Or mostly factory with 0 camber? I’m for sure gonna purchase a set as soon as I decide which one but I wanna make sure I have them line it up to a spec that’s gonna help not hurt the problem.
Old 05-12-23, 04:23 AM
Jflex15
Driver

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Center tread wear tends to be due to over inflation of the tires. Unfortunately, even following the car’s door placard for tire pressure may not be ‘right’ for the tire you’re using.
That, combined with ambient temperature swings, road temperatures, road surface friction, etc., make it nearly impossible to hit a ‘sweet spot’ for even tire wear. But in your case, maybe lower your PSI a bit.
see that’s what I was thinking at first but the fronts are wearing beautifully now with the same tire pressure. I’ve actually been running them on the lower side of pressure to try and offset this (tire light comes on each morning) around 28-30 psi. I wouldn’t imagine that would be to high for front or rear tires. Either way I plan to install these camber arms while this rear set it worn down. I plan to run them after install and make sure everything is good before investing in a new set.
Old 05-12-23, 05:36 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

2018 with 105k miles. I doubt anyone else on here has matched that, but after this many on the odometer, I'm starting to think the "inner tire wear" is less of a bug, more of a feature.

Here's my same set of PS4S after two years of May-Halloween-ish driving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aggressive toe and camber serve the purpose of increasing tire contact with the road during aggressive handling? Additionally, the softer bushings conserve the smoother driving characteristics of a Lexus that we've all come to expect and love.

Thus if one simply drives their IS like it was meant to be driven, it seems the problem just goes away.

Last edited by nitroracer; 05-12-23 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus IS premature inner tire wear